Convertible jackets, what's good, what's not

kenwstr

Convertible jackets, what's good, what's not

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:37 pm

All my upper body layers are too big and need replacing so I'd like to improve things a bit and keep the cost down. I am thinking of using the same approach that I do for other outdoor activities to keep kit simple and light weight. That is to layer up for temperature but, to a point ignore wind block up to the outer shell. The shell has no insulation, just pure barrier, it needs to be a really good wind and water proof breathable layer. Sure, there is a case for increasing wind protection somewhat as temps drop but most people seem to rely on gilets and jackets at some point.

The wind and rain barrier needs to be exceptionally breathable and well vented, otherwise it's a wet suit in there. Looking at the other guys with mesh backed gilets, they have venting sorted (at a price). I started looking around and eventually noticed the convertible jackets like the Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Convertible. Then I noticed quite a few other brands with a similar idea, essentially a gilet with zip on arms. So, I'm thinking that if this type of product provides sufficient breathability or venting, are light, packable and durable enough, then it may be a more compact cheaper initial setup. The obvious question is whether any of them vent well enough. The PI one has a large vent behind the shoulders under the detachable arm and back flap. While a large vent, it is not like a full mesh back. So what is peoples experience of these convertibles, are they any good and which is the best?

Ken

Calvin27

Re: Convertible jackets, what's good, what's not

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:48 pm

I find that the convertible jackets vent really well, but the problem is they are usually a bit more flappy than a dedicated jacket.

I have both the izumi convertible and a specialized version. I have used the conversion about twice in all the time I have owned them. Nowadays I just use full jackets or dedicated gillets. The two jackets are relegated to commuter duties which means they are only ever used in jacket form.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:09 pm

I have a Limar transverse convertible jacket and it works well. My issue is that I do feel the heat a lot so only rarely have the need for a full jacket, generally when it goes below about 6 degrees. Mostly I use it sleeveless and only put the sleeves on when it rains. The ventilation is quite good and the sleeves are easy enough to put on.

Used to have a Cannondale jacket and the magnetic attachment of sleeves was great although the ventilation was not so good when the sleeves were on.

Convertible jackets really suit me but I do wonder why there aren't more with magnetic sleeves combined with decent ventilation.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Gabba 2 convertible LS Jersey?

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:16 am

I Have the Gabba 2 Jacket. The Convertible has short sleeves, not cutoffs - find there is a lot of material there that didnt make it as comfortable as the jacket - which is brilliant BTW.

Generally I find if I need the jacket - I need the whole jacket - for just the body I would stay with a light gillet.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Good feedback Phil, I opted for a couple of gabba SS jerseys combined with nanoflex arm warmers for versatility, and 1 LS gabba for those rides where the temp is going to be cold, and colder....

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Good feedback Phil, I opted for a couple of gabba SS jerseys combined with nanoflex arm warmers for versatility, and 1 LS gabba for those rides where the temp is going to be cold, and colder....
Gabba long sleeve with polypro under was perfect on Sunday :-) (down to -4°)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:05 pm

kb wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:Good feedback Phil, I opted for a couple of gabba SS jerseys combined with nanoflex arm warmers for versatility, and 1 LS gabba for those rides where the temp is going to be cold, and colder....
U are a hard man!
I'm wearing a 100% merino base, with a thermaplus LS base over that, then gabba nanoflex arm warmers, and a Rapha thermal gillet for my Adelaide evening rides (2 deg the other night)... I'm a soft reptile I think....

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
kb wrote:
U are a hard man!
Only some parts (gee that sounds wrong...). I thought my ears were going to shrivel up and fall off.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:59 am

DavidS wrote:I have a Limar transverse convertible jacket and it works well. My issue is that I do feel the heat a lot so only rarely have the need for a full jacket, generally when it goes below about 6 degrees. Mostly I use it sleeveless and only put the sleeves on when it rains. The ventilation is quite good and the sleeves are easy enough to put on.

Used to have a Cannondale jacket and the magnetic attachment of sleeves was great although the ventilation was not so good when the sleeves were on.

Convertible jackets really suit me but I do wonder why there aren't more with magnetic sleeves combined with decent ventilation.
Same here. I have a magnetic sleeved Sugoi Versa windproof jacket. Usually I use it sleeveless. In winter I've taken to wearing another light weight, breathable, windproof jacket over the top for the cold. In the really cold I wore the sleeves and the other jacket as well. Some of the magnets are starting to lose their stick because of the constant washing of the gilet part, but it is quite good and really easy to attach/detach the sleeves. :D

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 am

So I got a 2016 Pearl Izumi Convertible, Size Small as that is my fit according to the garment specs and my measurements and every other piece of clothing I own now.

Turns out the jacket measures just under 34 in at the hip while their size chart for the garment says 35 - 37.5 in.
PI Australia's explanation is, they have several manufacturers so sizing varies.
Somehow I think this is an rather inadequate explanation as the garment is well below the body size range it is supposed to fit.
Any manufacturing tolerances should produce a finished garment measuring > 38 in or so at the hip to ensure meeting that body measurement.

PS. the arms are a good 4 in too long, far longer than any other size S top in my wardrobe.
Seems a rather clownish sizing to me!

I thought PI were supposed to be one of the better companies.
Is this sort of thing usual with them?

Ken

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:10 am

Strange the PI jacket has such an odd fitment kenwstr.
My most practical jacket is the regular, non-convertible, PI Elite Barrier Jacket.
I'm quite small, 63kg's, about 31 inches around the waist and a Small fits almost perfectly. I have a Medium sized one for bulkier winter clothes underneath, it also fits well.
The sleeves aren't overly long, just enough to slip over the ends of heavier winter gloves with outstretched arms.