Re-lacquering carbon frame

zed

Re-lacquering carbon frame

Postby zed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:37 pm

I’ve just bought a 2nd hand Boardman Team carbon road bike and it seems that the clearcoat is peeling off in places. I didn’t notice this when I bought it, only when I got home. Is it a simple process getting it re-lacquered? Does anyone have any idea of cost? Thanks.

open roader

Re: Re-lacquering carbon frame

Postby open roader » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 pm

I had my local panel beater spray a frame of mine with 3 x coats / bakes of 2 pack enamel clear coat for $100 cash.

The result was brilliant and to me $100 was cheap. The panel beater regularly clear coating auto panels so my job was easily slipped into his work flow.

However, depending upon how much clear coat is peeling off your frame, the prep work involved in peeling back the effected areas is labour intensive and will add significantly to any re-spray cost.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

liamb

Postby liamb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm

I have done this after the stickers from the Amy's Grand Fondo pealed my clear coat totally off in patches.
I rubbed back the bad areas using fine grit automotive sand paper to a smooth even surface, then used a chemical cleaner to ensure all the dust was gone. I then masked up the areas to paint. I used a spray can of enamel as I don't have the correct spray equipment. I applied 3 coats. After each coat I rubbed the surface down with 1200 grit paper. On the last coat I got a few runs but I wanted to ride that weekend so they stayed for now. After the last coat and 1200 rub I also used a fine cutting compound polish to finish it. I was surprised how easy it was and I had to mask alot of the frame up as I have many different lines. My masking was not great but nothing a bit of 1200 and elbow grease couldn't fix.
I am sure a automotive painter could do a much better job but I just had to try myself.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 pm

zed wrote:I’ve just bought a 2nd hand Boardman Team carbon road bike and it seems that the clearcoat is peeling off in places. I didn’t notice this when I bought it, only when I got home. Is it a simple process getting it re-lacquered? Does anyone have any idea of cost? Thanks.
Depends how bad it is and how good you want the final outcome to be but you might be able to rub it back with wet and dry and clear coat it yourself with an aerosol clear coat.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"