Flat bar commuter type bike - recommendations?

Bombers

Flat bar commuter type bike - recommendations?

Postby Bombers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for the vagueish question but I just wanted to gauge some opinion on what might be a good model for me.

Looking to get a flat bar road bike, XL frame (I'm 190+cm), 27 gears etc. I generally commute 5-10km and might do longer slow rides up to 30km, so I'm not after a racer. Something that would not crumble under my weight, will go OK with a mudguard, and will let me cruise at 30km/h through inner city streets.

Price range under $1k.

Any recommendations on particular models that spring to mind?

Bombers

Re: Flat bar commuter type bike - recommendations?

Postby Bombers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:18 pm

One of the models I looked at and test rode is the Norco VFR3 - is this is a reasonable quality bike? I have never heard of them before.

Bombers

Postby Bombers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 pm

This Giant model looks pretty nifty - I like the idea of suspension on the seat post.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... /#overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 am

I am looking for a similar bike. Rugged flat bar for fitness and fun rides 30 to 50km long, happy on paths and occasional dirt tracks if something looks interesting.
I think the cypress might be too cruisy for you.
In the mix for me at the moment is the Giant Cross City 1, Focus Lost Lagoon and a few others.
Things i am looking for are 32 spokes for strong wheels and the best possible shifters and derailleurs for the price ($750 max).

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:33 am

I reckon you can do a bit better than that Norco as pretty much every decent sized bike brand will have a model that will be in that category, and the drivetrain/ brakes on the Norco are not brilliant. Jump on Bike Exchange and have a look at what's out there near you. My suggestions would be something with Tiagra/ Deore spec drivetrain (dunno what the SRAM equivalent is in flat bar world, Apex?), at least 32 spoke wheels and disc brakes if possible. One thing I would be careful of though is to choose a brand with a good warranty. At your size and (presumably) reasonable heft your standard AL frame is going to cop a flogging. I'm 188cm/ 95kg and went through three flat bar frames in quick succession from not particularly excessive use (<5000km each).
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

luigig

Postby luigig » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 pm

GT Tachyon. Fast and value.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Perhaps a cyclocross (CX) bike might fit your criteria? Maybe one of the more knowledgeable riders around here could comment on CX bikes for commuting? Faster than a MTB, more rugged than a road bike and can take panniers, mudguards etc. Could be the perfect compromise?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:48 am

It is out of my price range but very close to the OP's range - Giant Revolt 3 (it is drop bar but does have the extra brake levers for when you are not in the drops) . From talking to a few LBS this is CX style bike but with higher gearing for road use.

2015 models are available sub $1k but not in Large which I need ( 6' 182cm ). If I can find one I think I will pull the trigger but still a bit hesitant on drop bars rather than flat.