Best place to buy helmets in melbourne

Bentnose

Best place to buy helmets in melbourne

Postby Bentnose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:26 pm

I recently bought a Giro Foray but have found it causes a headache after about 10 minutes of use (waste of $100). I don't want to stuff around looking at shop after shop after shop and I need to buy another helmet and am just wondering which shop in Melbourne has the biggest range of helmets in about the $100 to $150 range, road or MTB I'm not too fussed as long as it is comfortable and the colour is right.
No signature

mitzikatzi

Re: Best place to buy helmets in melbourne

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:04 pm

http://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/helmet-locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Yeah, I'm not after a $5 helmet.
No signature

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 pm

I must have a $5-00 head.
I bought one from Anaconda for $50-00 and have had no worries with it for two years . :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Downhill2Fast

Postby Downhill2Fast » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Was in Bikebug in Commercial Rd Prahran yesterday and they have good range - Giro, Kask, Bell, Lazer, Catlike. Check their website first and maybe call to see if it's worth going in. Some good prices on 'small' helmets.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm glad outnabike suggested Anaconda, though I did find the Giro helmet for $20 less than I paid for it. They have the Scott Watu for $40, while it is on special it is still a budget helmet, but looking at reviews between it and other helmets it seems to be better than a lot of other helmets that are twice the price, I'll check it out. The problem I'm finding with the Giro I bought is that where the straps enter the helmet they are tripled over and dig into your head, didn't notice this when I bought it, don't go shopping with kids it's hard to focus.
No signature

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:11 pm

I went to Anaconda, tried on the Scott Watu but found even with everything tight I could move the helmet around a lot on my head (particularly backwards) and a Bell Ukon which I found my some parts of the helmet shell dug into my head, tried a Fluid Flux but it wasn't all that comfortable and the retaining clip felt a bit dicky. I ended up comparing a Limar 535 ($45) and a Limar 685 ($66), the 685 was a nicer helmet and had a bigger RRP discount but I found some extra padding around the temples caused discomfort and I bought the cheaper one, guess I should stop being such a bike snob at times. Funny thing is this review of budget helmets http://www.bikeradar.com/au/gear/articl ... ets-39852/ didn't give the 535 all that good a review compared to some of the others I tried, I guess helmets are a very personal, fit specific item.
No signature

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Reid cycles is selling Limars cheap as chips at the moment.
Can't remember which models- superlight models?...
I got the 525 that I am happy with, but my $20 or $25 Aldi is more comfortable but a bit heavier.
Come to to think of it, I think Aldi's are better!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:03 pm

There are three things that you really need to try before buying to find what's best for you: shoes, saddles and helmets. Everyone's feet/bums/heads are different, and the only person who can know what is right for you is you.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Bentnose wrote:The problem I'm finding with the Giro I bought is that where the straps enter the helmet they are tripled over and dig into your head.
Glad I read this as a Foray has been on my shortlist for a while - looks good, good price, aero will make me faster :wink: . Dropped into Anaconda today and you're right, those straps hit you right near the temples... :(

Perhaps it is possible to cut away a little of the foam just under the strap's folded end so they sit flush?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Instantly void warranty and the A/NZS sticker that way Matty...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:23 am

Mulger bill wrote:Instantly void warranty and the A/NZS sticker that way Matty...
The mod would be invisible to anyone but a really really clued on inspector. I'm talking about a relief cutout of about 10mm x 5mm x 2mm deep, behind where the strap enters the foam. My current helmet has bigger dents than that. It would also prevent the protruding lumps from actually hurting you.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:46 pm

MattyK wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Instantly void warranty and the A/NZS sticker that way Matty...
The mod would be invisible to anyone but a really really clued on inspector. I'm talking about a relief cutout of about 10mm x 5mm x 2mm deep, behind where the strap enters the foam. My current helmet has bigger dents than that. It would also prevent the protruding lumps from actually hurting you.
I think you'd be weakening the helmet by cutting a bit out, I'd just go for a different helmet. I'm trying to get the missus to use my Giro, someone may as well get some use out of it, but she was complaining about it digging in as well, didn't seem as bad when I first tried it on. You need to be really careful when trying on helmets
No signature