mud guard

hangfire

mud guard

Postby hangfire » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:26 pm

hi all

i am thinking of getting a mudguard to stop the spray up my back from annoying the heck out of me.

i went to the lbs to ask what they recommended (i have a giant cross city with a tioga pannier rack on the back)

the lbs said i couldnt use any of the things that they stock as the pannier would interfere with the mounting.

surely there is something that i could use, but i didnt really understand the terminology that they were talking about so i have no clue.....

any suggestions?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

Tim

Re: mud guard

Postby Tim » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 am

Post a photo of the rear end of your bike and someone is more likely to be able to help.

Something like this? A bit of a makeshift effort here but it kept his bum dry.

Or maybe this? It rolls up and unrolls, might be able to bend or cut it to shape around the pannier struts. I think the bike shop meant that the bike frame mounting points/lugs for a mudguard are already in use by the pannier connection to the bike. Your bike might not have pannier and mudguard lugs.
https://www.missionbicycle.com/store/ho ... ing-fender

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:23 pm

not sure on the rack or what interference you might get, but I'm happily running SKS chromoplastics underneath a rear rack/baby seat.

cage

Postby cage » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:03 pm

I haven't been able to take a close look at a Cross City so i take it it's only got one eyelet in the rear?
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

RonK

mud guard

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:04 pm

hangfire wrote:lbs said i couldnt use any of the things that they stock as the pannier would interfere with the mounting.

any suggestions?
Yes - go to another bike shop which stocks the kind of mudguards you need.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

piston9

Postby piston9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:29 pm

I use these I got from Pushy's. Fit under my rack just fine. They aren't perfect (could have more coverage - at high speed/lots of rain I still get some back spray), but they do the job.

http://www.pushys.com.au/zefal-classic- ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

queequeg

mud guard

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:43 pm

No issues with my SKS chromoplastics + rack
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:33 pm

looks like i need the mud guards that go around the wheel rather than hang off the seatpost

is that right?

i have no idea how to upload photos but my bike looks just like the pic a few up, and it has the tioga pannier that i think anther one above has.

are that type called hybrid mudguards? (Zefal Trail Mudguards Hybrid Black)

how do they attach?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:38 pm

hangfire wrote:looks like i need the mud guards that go around the wheel rather than hang off the seatpost

is that right?

i have no idea how to upload photos but my bike looks just like the pic a few up, and it has the tioga pannier that i think anther one above has.

are that type called hybrid mudguards? (Zefal Trail Mudguards Hybrid Black)

how do they attach?
Your bike should have eyelets on the seat stays for the mudguard stays to attach, and there is usually a mount above the brake bridge, or part of the brake bridge that the upper part of the mount attaches to. Even without eyelets on the stays, you can use p-clips for the stays.

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

piston9

Postby piston9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 pm

The zefal just clips on the down tube, and screws into the guard screw under the brakes - the back us just gravity\tension. you can see the clamp right behind my pump.

The full round will give better protection, but these 'do' for me.

Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 pm

would these work?
http://yarravalleycycles.bikeit.com.au/ ... /102605566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/b ... c-x-20-28c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2015 Giant Cross City 0

piston9

Postby piston9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Just watch your tyre width - the avanti ones say 700cx28 - if you use wider... I run 35's,hence the guards I have...

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:51 am

queequeg wrote: No issues with my SKS chromoplastics + rack
Chromoplastics seem to be the 'go to' fender - any others people would recommend or avoid?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:29 am

Zefal Paragons are nice too, very clean mounting stays (though the design has changed since I got mine)