New vs used internal hub?

zanny

New vs used internal hub?

Postby zanny » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi, I am a newbie to maintaining bikes and have a Giant Innova 2006ish hybrid bike which I converted with some help to an e-bike with a Bafang Mid-drive kit. It's doing the job, just clocked 700km (mostly on cold Melbourne nights) and am getting exercise along with the nice electric boost.

I have upgraded the seat and handlebars but now I want to improve the gears which are currently 9 speed Shimano Deore (DX?) because they are clunky, and need a good cleaning, but also I have been shifting under load as this is my first ebike and I have not been so kind to the bike. The cassette and derailleur will have to be replaced before the end of the year anyway.

My biggest issue is that when cruising on the ebike in a high gear, when I have to stop, it is really slow to push off again. With an IGH, I wouldn't have this issue. Secondly, I want a smoother ride.

My options are kind of expensive -
1) Upgrade to a clutched derailleur Shimano M786+ which would require everything else being 10 speed as well - new hub, new cassette, new shifters, new chain - $250

(and while this would make gear changing smoother, it doesn't solve my main issue)

2) Shimano hub about $275 from LBS or Nuvinci N360 - $400+ on ebay and then I get no service/warranty. Can't find anyone in Melbourne who sells these for existing bikes.

So I saw an old Giant on eBay which comes with an old Nexus 7 internal hub in a 700c wheel. It might even be the same tyre, as they look like Maxxis Overdrive, and I have that tyre in a 40c.

The bike is at least 5 years old and I doubt the hub has been serviced, it also hasn't been ridden recently.

Is this a good option for me, buy this bike for under $100, and use the wheel?

MattyK

Re: New vs used internal hub?

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am

I assume your electric drive is front wheel?

Unless something has been damaged in the hub (which you would tell from it failing to shift or making nasty noises), they are usually very reliable and damage resistant. I'm not too familiar with the 7 speed but I've had an 8 speed Nexus hub for years as a daily commuter. Check the Over-Locknut Dimension (OLD) matches your frame.

You might also need a way to tension the chain.

Alternatively, have you had the derailleurs looked at? a tune up, and changing your riding style (shifting down before you stop) may solve your problems more easily.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Speaking with my LBS about internal hubs, they said they got a demo 8 speed internal shifter from their Shimano rep, and between all the staff they clocked up something like 30,000kms on it before it started slipping shifts. So assuming it hasn't been thrashed, they do sound like they have a pretty good lifespan.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:39 pm

If it's the one currently at $30, I'd give it a shot... even for a learning experience.

Check your current rides rear drops though... you'll need fore-aft movement to take up the chain slack. Do a closeup on the fleabay pic and you'll see what I mean. Failing that you'll need to fit a tensioner.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Keep in mind that IGHs tend to not like shifting under a heavy load so you may need to modify your peddle technique for gear changes.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Before the well meaning advice goes too far astray, a Bafang Mid-Drive motor powers the cranks.

I suspect that it has a throttle but the coordination required to ease off to change gears when accelerating might be a challenge, but shouldn't be an issue when slowing down, since presumably the power will be off anyway. Changing down gears when stopping is simply a good habit to develop.

I'm a bit puzzled by
The cassette and derailleur will have to be replaced before the end of the year anyway.

Why?

Deore stuff is pretty reliable. Chains and cassettes will wear out, eventually but are easily replaced. Keeping the drivetrain cleaned, lubricated and well adjusted is basic maintenance and will keep the bike working well.

You'd need to be sure of the width of the hub on the old Giant, and you' also need a chain tensioner to make the hub work at all. If you do get it working then, the shifting under load issue won't go away with a hub gear, and is much more problematic, since the working parts are not as easy to replace when the time comes.

Cheers,

Cameron