Garmin 520 !!

marty_one

Re: Garmin 520 !!

Postby marty_one » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

Loving the automatic upload to garmin connect through my phone at the end of the ride. No more connecting up to a pc via cable anymore. I did notice that live strava segments requires a premium strava account and that you have to link to your account through the garmin connect app. It doesn't happen automagically. However garmin segments do show up automagically.

Also here is the online manual for it, the paper manual that comes with it is only a quick start manual in many languages.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Ordered mine from Pushys mid August and it is on it's way today. Looks like my 500 will be going into the Buy & Sell.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Was just on the phone to a mate a few mins ago who is looking for a cheap computer in the leadup to around the bay. Might tell him to keep an eye out for a flood of 500's ;)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:02 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Was just on the phone to a mate a few mins ago who is looking for a cheap computer in the leadup to around the bay. Might tell him to keep an eye out for a flood of 500's ;)
yea. Well not everyone is prepared to pay the big bucks for the latest iteration. A situation where everyone benefits :-)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Paul B wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Was just on the phone to a mate a few mins ago who is looking for a cheap computer in the leadup to around the bay. Might tell him to keep an eye out for a flood of 500's ;)
yea. Well not everyone is prepared to pay the big bucks for the latest iteration. A situation where everyone benefits :-)
Spot on. He wont get a lot of use out of it so is looking to spend no more than $150. I thought the 500 might be a stretch under that budget given he would want a cadence sensor with it, will see if that changes in the coming month or two.

Maybe I should just upgrade to something that will control my virb and sell him my 500.... if only the bduget committee saw it that way! :twisted:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Well I am going to sell mine for $125 if he wants to message me about it.

Hmmm that was quick. Looks like I am an ex Garmin 500 owner.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:24 pm

marty_one wrote: ...
I did notice that live strava segments requires a premium strava account and that you have to link to your account through the garmin connect app.It doesn't happen automagically. However garmin segments do show up automagically.
But if you don't mind a bit of clicking and dragging, there's http://gniza.org/segments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which supports most stuff. Not courses and not goals.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Just got the email from HTA requesting the rest of my payment for delivery starting the 7th. :D

Or ?

I've been thinking a bit since it came out, as in the meantime my Alps/Dolomites trip has firmed up so am weighing up whether I bite the bullet now, or delay and keep using my 500 until the trip gets closer.

:?

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Just ordered the 520 bundle on Wiggle for $491 after the 12% Platinum discount. Apparently they have stock too! Looking forward to it!

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Arrived today... can't wait to get out and try it. Won't be today though. Bit smashed after this morning's ride.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:37 pm

i know it's not 520, but i just got a 1000 (mainly for maps, bigger screen and also live strava), but i can't get it working. updatd to latest, assumed it would just work. disconnected and reassociated garmin->strava accounts as someone suggested, nothing. i can't see any indication of strava in the menus or anywhere. is it absolutely required to have a premium subscription for the 1000? if i can't get an indication it's going to work, i don't really want to shell out for it (especially now that they've ditched google maps. BIG mistake).

skydance

Postby skydance » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:06 am

Legally - yes, you have to buy Strava premium service.
However there is a way to avoid that limitation (with changing .fit files manually, using 3rd party tools).

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 pm

battler2 wrote:i know it's not 520, but i just got a 1000 (mainly for maps, bigger screen and also live strava), but i can't get it working. updatd to latest, assumed it would just work. disconnected and reassociated garmin->strava accounts as someone suggested, nothing. i can't see any indication of strava in the menus or anywhere. is it absolutely required to have a premium subscription for the 1000? if i can't get an indication it's going to work, i don't really want to shell out for it (especially now that they've ditched google maps. BIG mistake).
I had the same issue with my 1000

Basically uninstall everything. Remove Garmin connect and Remove strava apps on your phone. Remove Garmin connect on your computer.

You need to make the connection on your mobile by strava and Garmin not computer. Then load up Garmin connect on computer. It should then give the options in Garmin connect

It took me 5-6 hours to get it working!!!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:26 am

rusty842 wrote: ....
Not that I was looking at using Strava anyway, but this seals it for me :shock: 8)

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:43 am

MichaelB wrote:
rusty842 wrote: ....
Not that I was looking at using Strava anyway, but this seals it for me :shock: 8)
I'm sure there was an easier way however I couldn't get it to work and there was no detailed instructions.

They said link it up and then you'll see Strava in Garmin connect.

I never saw it and it took ages to get it

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 am

I just got a 520. It worked as advertised in regards to link up Strava Live. I linked up connect. Then I starred a few segments in Strava. Connected the 520 and it synced up onto the 520. Have not ridden with the segments, but I can view them on the device.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:14 pm

vosadrian wrote:I just got a 520. It worked as advertised in regards to link up Strava Live. I linked up connect. Then I starred a few segments in Strava. Connected the 520 and it synced up onto the 520. Have not ridden with the segments, but I can view them on the device.
You already have the KOM on most of the segments anyway :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:44 pm

queequeg wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I just got a 520. It worked as advertised in regards to link up Strava Live. I linked up connect. Then I starred a few segments in Strava. Connected the 520 and it synced up onto the 520. Have not ridden with the segments, but I can view them on the device.
Yeah... once upon a time!!

I can't see me realistically using the Strava live feature any time soon, but fun to have a new toy to play with!! I was most interested in having a device similar in size and weight to my 500, but with phone upload and notification capability.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:17 pm

vosadrian wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Yeah... once upon a time!!

I can't see me realistically using the Strava live feature any time soon, but fun to have a new toy to play with!! I was most interested in having a device similar in size and weight to my 500, but with phone upload and notification capability.
Likewise, re the 520 size.

as for your KOMs, there are very few segments where I ride that don't have you at or near the top, with daylight between you and 2nd :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Been a long time since I got a KOM, and not expecting any for a while. Unfortunately not through lack of interest or training motivation. Probably the opposite. I did too much, was in the best form of my life and copped an injury I have not been able to get over.

It is nice to know I have a fair few KOMs that are sticking about. I imagine in time they will all go. I could have used the the Strava live feature when I got most of them. In fact I did... sort of. At least a few of my KOMs (mostly the longer ones requiring good pacing at threshold... not the 1-2 minute efforts which are 500+W efforts and just suffer through it with no time to look at the garmin for pacing) were done while running VPU on my Edge 500 with the previous KOM as the training partner: http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:20 pm

rusty842 wrote:
battler2 wrote:i know it's not 520, but i just got a 1000 (mainly for maps, bigger screen and also live strava), but i can't get it working. updatd to latest, assumed it would just work. disconnected and reassociated garmin->strava accounts as someone suggested, nothing. i can't see any indication of strava in the menus or anywhere. is it absolutely required to have a premium subscription for the 1000? if i can't get an indication it's going to work, i don't really want to shell out for it (especially now that they've ditched google maps. BIG mistake).

Basically uninstall everything. Remove Garmin connect and Remove strava apps on your phone. Remove Garmin connect on your computer.

You need to make the connection on your mobile by strava and Garmin not computer. Then load up Garmin connect on computer. It should then give the options in Garmin connect

have u got premium? or running a trial of premium? tells me on garmin connect widget that a 90 day free trial comes with my device, except i dont want to activate it. surely they can have basic segment features without premium? i'm not interested in being locked into a contract for something i can do manually.

surely there's a basic service for those that don't want ongoing charges? if they're selling the 520 with this advertising, well it's kind of wrong to be hit up with fees after 3 months.

i've unstarred everything, disconnected and reconnected the garmin/strava accounts (repeatedly) syncing and turning off in between, and just tried to sync ONE, and it doesn't sync, or have any indication on the device screen that strava segments are activated, or i need to activate a premium account.

yet to try it with a phone. that's currently dead as a doornail, and my ipad needs ios8, which i won't install. ever.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:50 pm

I just pay month by month for the Strava premium. So there is no lock in contract.

I found you had to use the phone. No other way

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:29 pm

battler2 wrote:
rusty842 wrote:

have u got premium? or running a trial of premium? tells me on garmin connect widget that a 90 day free trial comes with my device, except i dont want to activate it. surely they can have basic segment features without premium? i'm not interested in being locked into a contract for something i can do manually.

surely there's a basic service for those that don't want ongoing charges? if they're selling the 520 with this advertising, well it's kind of wrong to be hit up with fees after 3 months.

i've unstarred everything, disconnected and reconnected the garmin/strava accounts (repeatedly) syncing and turning off in between, and just tried to sync ONE, and it doesn't sync, or have any indication on the device screen that strava segments are activated, or i need to activate a premium account.

yet to try it with a phone. that's currently dead as a doornail, and my ipad needs ios8, which i won't install. ever.
It sounds like your issue is with Strava. Since Strava are earning the money out of Premium and not Garmin. Garmin simply put out a product with features many people want by integrating with Strava. I don't see any issue with what they have done. I also have no issue with the way Strava charge. They make a good product many of us like to use, so they are entitled to earn some money for their efforts?? I have got a lot of enjoyment out of using Strava over several years for all of a couple hundred dollars they have earned from me. I could stay with the free version and get 90% of the enjoyment, but I have no issue with paying someone for providing services if I am happy with the services.

If you don't want to be a Strava premium member for whatever reason, simply take the free trial and cancel it before the 3 months is up.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Got mine today. Haven't ridden with it yet but having fun playkng around with it. Strava Segments turned up fine once i installed Garmin Express and went to Garmin connect. Workinf perfectly so far...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Yea I've had mine for a few days. Took a bit of working out to get the interface happening, so far I reckon it's great. Love the live segments and the overall improvements over the 500 I used for 10k kms. And as far as the fee that Strava charge, I think it is a bit of a bargain for the amount of use I get out of it.
Happy days :-)