Garmin 520 !!

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Garmin 520 !!

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:58 pm

520 now upgraded to 3.00 and my Vectors to the second beta firmware (3.73). Will report back...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
DaveQB wrote:
I thought of this as a good idea too but every time I've tried it my latest ride file is truncated to 72 bytes (emptied).
I figured android is writing something to the device too early; before the file system is opened correctly.

You two haven't had this problem?
I'm using a galaxy note 4
From memory i ran into issues (the next time)if i didn't eject the garmin from the phone properly. As long as i remembered to do that it was fine on a Galaxy S4/Android 4.2. Maybe i should test it with my S6!
I did a lot of testing with this and so always ejected properly. I am on Android 4.4.4
I think I had more success if I power cycled the 500 2-3 times. Like it was writing to it's file system on the power off. But it was way too inconsistent to rely on if it was your only copy of the ride.
I am glad it's working for you /jealous
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:31 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
DaveQB wrote:What do people think the battery life of the 520 would be without using the backlight?
15+ as advertised?
It would probably manage that if you don't use a PM and with GLONASS turned off. Otherwise not a chance. OTG charging is easy though :)
I've been playing with a 500 and a 510 and both were on pace to be around 15 hours if I had the backlight off. The 510 had bluetooth on and connected to my phone for whole ride.
Sounds like the 520 is not up the standard of these two. Interesting. But like you say, charging on the run is easy enough and there would be breaks on rides over 10 hours to give you a chance to do so. As long the 520 doesn't behave like the 500 and reboot into USB mass storage mode when plugged into a power source.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Boognoss wrote:
kb wrote:Connect IQ coming to the 520 and 1000. Yay!
I'm listening (have the Edge 1000). What's Connect IQ?
Software Development Kit for programming new fields, widgets or application. Originally introduced on their watches / wearables.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 pm

DaveQB wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
DaveQB wrote:What do people think the battery life of the 520 would be without using the backlight?
15+ as advertised?
It would probably manage that if you don't use a PM and with GLONASS turned off. Otherwise not a chance. OTG charging is easy though :)
I've been playing with a 500 and a 510 and both were on pace to be around 15 hours if I had the backlight off. The 510 had bluetooth on and connected to my phone for whole ride.
Sounds like the 520 is not up the standard of these two. Interesting. But like you say, charging on the run is easy enough and there would be breaks on rides over 10 hours to give you a chance to do so. As long the 520 doesn't behave like the 500 and reboot into USB mass storage mode when plugged into a power source.
It doesn't.
Veloviewer

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
DaveQB wrote: I've been playing with a 500 and a 510 and both were on pace to be around 15 hours if I had the backlight off. The 510 had bluetooth on and connected to my phone for whole ride.
It doesn't.
Good news. Thanks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:29 pm

OK, hopefully everything will work now. Connect app now v 2.14, 520 is v 3.00, iPhone 9.0.2

Tomorrows ride will tell !!!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:35 pm

jasonc wrote: ....

I noticed this line:
Added dynamic zooming while displaying the elevation graph during an activity
Did they say how you do it , or is it auto adjust ?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 am

I just read the one line Michael. It days auto so I gather that means it'll give you what it wants
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

kb

Postby kb » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:03 am

If it's like the 1000, it will autoscale if zoomed all the way out. Sort of makes sense, as in "stay zoomed out", rather than stay at this specific scale.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:
jasonc wrote: ....

I noticed this line:
Added dynamic zooming while displaying the elevation graph during an activity
Did they say how you do it , or is it auto adjust ?
I would say dynamic = auto

softy

Postby softy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:23 pm

I really wouldn't bother again with these high end bike computers, I bought a 810 a few years ago for the maps. Guess what, hardly use them, just not easy to get into software etc. The UI is just terrible.

A bike is about pedalling, if I am constantly playing with a head unit it takes the shine off riding. I use to use the bluetooth upload, but that played up too.

Now just use it as a base unit with a big screen, does this well, but for the price I have to say I was dissappointed and would look at something simpler if I purchased another.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Well , the scaling seems to be on the vertical only which isn't that useful. I'd like to be able to zoom the horizontal axis if anything. When you are part way through a 7km climb , an incline that is a straight line is of no use if it shows only the past 2km.

For it to be useful, the horizontal scale needs to be zoo able, just like to 305.

Well, the really big disappointment is that the bluetooth issue persists. The phone can find the 520, but the 520 rarely finds the phone. So I never know if the message function will work, and the also the upload to connect of the ride details also doesn't happen. It's a 20% success rate so far (2 out of 10 rides it has found the phone).

So, as far as I am concerned its faulty and I'll be asking for a refund. Then I'll buy one 6 months den the track when it all works properly :|

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Well, back it's going and at my cost :evil:

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with HTA "customer service", and not really happy. They don't refund, and are willing to argue that the failure of the unit to work properly is only minor, and not major .....

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... ace-refund

Obviously, my opinion is different to theirs, but not happy with the support as it stands. Even tried to blame me as it must be user error !!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: That made me REALLY angry, as I have mentioned many a time that it's the unit that is faulty, not the phone or the user.

A quick google also reveals that there are others that have the same 'sync' issue, so it's not isolated.

Standby to standby :? :|

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well, back it's going and at my cost :evil:

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with HTA "customer service", and not really happy. They don't refund, and are willing to argue that the failure of the unit to work properly is only minor, and not major .....

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... ace-refund

Obviously, my opinion is different to theirs, but not happy with the support as it stands. Even tried to blame me as it must be user error !!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: That made me REALLY angry, as I have mentioned many a time that it's the unit that is faulty, not the phone or the user.

A quick google also reveals that there are others that have the same 'sync' issue, so it's not isolated.

Standby to standby :? :|
Yes the product does have a major fault under the definition. Just lodge a complaint with fair trading. I did this with a bike shop that was blaming me for a product fault and soon had a $200 cheque.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:26 pm

michael - i responded to your PM

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Cheers biker jk, that's the next ace up my sleeve.

Interestingly, there has been a fair bit of stuff on the Garmin forums re sync issues, especially with the new 6 & 6S phones, but mines a 4S. We'll see what their next step is, as i shipped it this afternoon back.

(AT) jasonc - thanks. But still can't understand why it doesn't appear on their normal page ???

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:still can't understand why it doesn't appear on their normal page ???
the normal page is telling you to use the garmin express desktop application to update

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 pm

jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote:still can't understand why it doesn't appear on their normal page ???
the normal page is telling you to use the garmin express desktop application to update
But I was looking on a different computer with nothing attached ?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:But I was looking on a different computer with nothing attached ?
the webpage that tells you there is a new firmware says to use garmin express to update whether garmin express is installed or not. there is no download link

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:17 am

jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote:But I was looking on a different computer with nothing attached ?
the webpage that tells you there is a new firmware says to use garmin express to update whether garmin express is installed or not. there is no download link
The funny thing is I can see the version that you posted in the pic above from the link provided earlier by GeoffinBrisbane, but when I try and follow the path from the home page, go into the 520 page and then into the Software & Updates link, it shows SFA (i.e. that there are no updates).

That's what I'm curios about :?

Meh, rode to work today and had a good tough ride, so all is well(ish) :D

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:30 am

I have an iphone 6, so just reporting my experiences.

I have not received messages or calls while riding yet. I did initially test that feature and it worked, but that could have been because I had the phone away so bluetooth was active. Maybe after an hour of no use the phone BT goes to sleep and has trouble resyncing?

When uploading I have to make sure the connect app is running on my phone before saving the ride. Normally I finish ride and get my phone out and start the app, and then stop and save the ride and it uploads. A couple of times it has had a sync fail and I have had to manually select "upload ride" and it has then worked OK. I have probably done 15-20 rides so far. I have never had it unable to upload.

I am generally happy with it.... mainly for the phone upload. I was on holidays the last 2 weeks and did a lot of riding. It was good to not have to plug into a laptop to upload. Improvements I would like to see:

* Some sort of auto backlighting at night mode
* Better data page layouts that allow items to be made larger so they are easier to see and identify.
* A couple of times if I power Garmin and Vectors and then leave my bike and come back 5 minutes later and the Vectors are asleep, it never re-establishes connection to the Vectors and I have to reboot to get the connection back.

There is a heap of capability that I am not using which just ends up making the unit a fair bit harder to setup than my old 500. I only use one activity type, and generally only 1-2 data pages. I am using it as a 500 with a bigger screen and BT upload capability really.

-- Adrian

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:32 am

kb wrote:Software Development Kit for programming new fields, widgets or application. Originally introduced on their watches / wearables.
Cheers, sounds interesting if it doesn't bork my Edge 1000 in the process.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

GJM

Postby GJM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 am

vosadrian wrote:I have an iphone 6, so just reporting my experiences.

I have not received messages or calls while riding yet. I did initially test that feature and it worked, but that could have been because I had the phone away so bluetooth was active. Maybe after an hour of no use the phone BT goes to sleep and has trouble resyncing?

When uploading I have to make sure the connect app is running on my phone before saving the ride. Normally I finish ride and get my phone out and start the app, and then stop and save the ride and it uploads. A couple of times it has had a sync fail and I have had to manually select "upload ride" and it has then worked OK. I have probably done 15-20 rides so far. I have never had it unable to upload.

I am generally happy with it.... mainly for the phone upload. I was on holidays the last 2 weeks and did a lot of riding. It was good to not have to plug into a laptop to upload. Improvements I would like to see:

* Some sort of auto backlighting at night mode
* Better data page layouts that allow items to be made larger so they are easier to see and identify.
* A couple of times if I power Garmin and Vectors and then leave my bike and come back 5 minutes later and the Vectors are asleep, it never re-establishes connection to the Vectors and I have to reboot to get the connection back.

There is a heap of capability that I am not using which just ends up making the unit a fair bit harder to setup than my old 500. I only use one activity type, and generally only 1-2 data pages. I am using it as a 500 with a bigger screen and BT upload capability really.

-- Adrian
100% reflects my experience so far.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:35 pm

As far as Vectors go, since I upgraded them to the 3.73 beta firmware I am delighted to report they have behaved perfectly. If you are having problems on 3.50, try 3.73! Upgrading via the head unit is pretty easy once you've upgraded the 520 to 3.0, although you will need to create the RemoteSW folder in the Garmin folder.
Veloviewer