Garmin 520 !!

shutuplegs

Re: Garmin 520 !!

Postby shutuplegs » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Ordered the bundle for ~$490 from Wiggle on Friday 4th Sept, arrived Thurs 10th.

Can't wait to open it up and and give it a try!

Jmph67

Postby Jmph67 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:41 pm

I've had mine for a few days now. I upgraded from a 500.

Overall I'm very happy with it. One of the first things I did was go to openstreet maps and download Sydney and its surrounds but it kept failing because I was unzipping the file before uploading to the Garmin - no need to do that. The maps are really detailed and look fantastic.

It's taken me a while to learn how to go through the interfaces of the unit - it's not intuitive at all. I'm still learning.

I'm a Strava Premium user and just adding a star to a segment in Strava loads it on the device. It works really well.

Good points:
- very simple to upload rides and bluetooth connection to the phone makes it easy to read text messages (you can't answer calls!)
- locks onto satellites very quickly (when you select the Glonass option)
- Strava integration is what has been missing to date - and it's addictive - but also potentially dangerous.
- screen display looks fantastic

Not so good points:
- battery life might be an issue - but I'm always pushing buttons and running almost consecutive Strava segments
- I find my self staring a bit at the display and not the road - maybe that's a new toy effect
- expensive unit

My 2 cents.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:51 pm

OK, got mine and have been for a few rides with it. Some good and some bad points.

Good points :
LOVE the bigger screen and the display method
Love the light/day display option
Like the colour
Like the elevation trace that was on the Edge 305
Like the breadcrumb navigation trail that was on the Edge 305

Bad Points :
Just found the bit in the manual to solve the auto pause issue (should be automatically done)
Don't like that you cant zoom (easily) during ride the nav/map display (per Edge 305)
Don't like that you cant zoom the elevation trace data page
Don't like that I cant get rid off the virtual partner page and have another data page - I can only see that I can have one date page and one lap page. The others are fixed at Elevation trace, Nav and Virtual partner - I don't need those all the time.

Need help with ??!!??
How to zoom on the fly the Elevation trace
Add a separate data page and p.o. the Virtual partner
Seem to have buggered up the text/call notification - so will read the manual to see whay it isn't working (the phone says it is and it got the code ? - maybe did something wrong) edit : Fixed :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Think I've solved the multi data pages, no thanks to any help from the manual !!!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:19 am

One thing I liked about my 500 was the capability to set 5 parameters on a page and have one parameter larger taking half the screen and then 4 smaller parameters in the bottom half. It seems that on the 520 all parameters are the same size and no option to have one or two larger with several others smaller. I liked that feature of the 500. For some reason I like to have speed large so I can glance at it when going quickly and not have to spend time identifying which parameter it is. Then I would have HR, Cadence, distance etc in smaller parameters at the bottom. Is anyone aware if that can be done on the 520?

guyc

Postby guyc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:52 am

Overall I really like my 520. But some annoyances:

1. No one-button way to turn on the backlight when riding at night. Weird!
2. Strava segments - seems too easy to go "off segment" when doing long segments, which is really annoying if you've already been going really hard for 15 minutes as the tracking suddenly just stops.
3. Strava segments - would like option to be able to see power etc on screen too

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:22 pm

guyc wrote:1. No one-button way to turn on the backlight when riding at night. Weird!
shimano d-fly + shimano dura-ace di2 shifters = :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm

guyc wrote:...

1. No one-button way to turn on the backlight when riding at night. Weird!
Amen to that.

I'd also like to adjust the brightness level of when the backlight is off so that it's just that little more visible just before dusk and during the night.

I've solved some of the problems I listed above, almost by stumbling around when setting up the auto pause feature. Managed to turn off the Virtual partner screen and access the menu to add other data screens, but still cant zoom the elevation trace at all, or maps on the fly.

The manual and menu system are shiiiiite :evil: :evil: :evil:

1st world problems though.

skydance

Postby skydance » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:33 am

99bikes still keeps promising 'we'll get your preorder done asap' :(

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:41 am

Has anyone worked out a quick way to turn on the backlight when riding at night. I am probably missing some really simple feature here so call me stupid if I am!! I rode at night with the 520 last night and went into the setting->Display to set the backlighting on permanently. It would be great if there was a simple short cut to do this (and to set it back to save batteries during the day). Even better would be an Auto mode. It seems to have a data parameter for sunrise/sunset. Why not have a lighting mode that auto turns on the backlighting between sunset and sunrise? I often commute to work in light in morning and dark at night. It is a bit of a pain to go into the settings for each ride to set it. I found my 500 screen was easier to read at night from ambient light and could survive with backlighting off on most roads I ride on which have good street lights, but I really needed the backlighting on with the 520.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

:shock:
vosadrian wrote:Has anyone worked out a quick way to turn on the backlight when riding at night.
see above - di-2 + shimano d-fly

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 am

I have 6770.... what else do I need?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:11 am

jasonc wrote::shock:
vosadrian wrote:Has anyone worked out a quick way to turn on the backlight when riding at night.
see above - di-2 + shimano d-fly
But that's not a 520. And I don't have Di2.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am

you need 9070 levers and a shimano d-fly
michael - same options available with the 520

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 am

That is pretty cool with the 9070 levers, but my 6770 levers are working fine and 9070 levers will cost a fortune that I am not willing to spend to turn backlight on.

Hopefully Garmin work out a better way to do this. I would love the Auto mode I mention above based on the sun rise/set (my car GPS does that).... or does the unit have an ambient light sensor which would be even better.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Well the unit manages to turn the colour scheme from Daylight mode to Night mode, so it must. I have requested via Garmin Support that a future firmware include an option to have backlight on while Night mode is current. Fingers crossed...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:36 pm

The 500 has the feature where you press the backlight button and it comes on for the set time.

Why didn't they just carry this over ... Knuckleheads.

Oh well, standby to standby.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 pm

I had my 500 set up with one minute back light. I just pressed the top left button and it would stay on for a minute which was enough to see what I was after until next time. I tried to work out a single button press for the 520 to do the same, but I needed at least 2 presses of two different buttons, and the buttons are a bit harder to find on the 520 also (not symmetrical on each side), so was pretty annoying until I stopped and turned on the back light permanently... but then I had to turn it off at the end of the ride to avoid chewing the battery on the next daylight ride.

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 am

Finally got mine.
What a disappointment!!! It does not work with Garmin's HRM Run! Edge 520 records 63 bpm instead of actual HR. Issue has been confirmed with Garmin, with no ETA supplied. I broke rule #1, never buy newest Garmin stuff.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 am

skydance wrote:Finally got mine.
What a disappointment!!! It does not work with Garmin's HRM Run! Edge 520 records 63 bpm instead of actual HR. Issue has been confirmed with Garmin, with no ETA supplied. I broke rule #1, never buy newest Garmin stuff.
swap you for a 510? :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 am

I'm almost ready to send mine back to HTA for a refund. :evil:

The Bluetooth connectivity for call/text alerts was one of the prime reasons that I upgraded. It's been setup several times, and whilst it has worked, and my phone says it's connected, the 520 says it's still searching. Say What ? It has only once connected and shown that it has found the phone. It has worked twice (that I know), but haven't yet had an instance where I've been on a ride and received a call/text (outside those two instances)

So, do I assume that the phone is correct (showing when it is connected) or the 520 that shows it's still 'searching' .....

If this is the current status, I'll send it back until Garmin sort it. I need to know the feature works properly or not, rather than hope it does.

Any idea as to why one would say it's connected and the other doesn't ?

liamb

Postby liamb » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

my 510 does that alot, I have to re-connect through garmin connect on my phone every time I update the garmin or turn my phone off. Having said that My 510 only need to connect to my phone for uploading, not phone functions.
I guess its a bit of a punt getting a new platform of anything. I tend to keep it in my pants until series 2 comes out in the hope that alot of the bugs have been exterminated.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Pretty much all bluetooth devices fail occasionally (including all Garmin devices). This one is not a total failure, but yes it does reconnect to the phone every few minutes. It's not the most important feature anyway.
But HRM fail!!! This is outrageous.

jasonc, I'd swap my HRM Run for a cheaper HRM Premium. As for 520->510... I need maps, HR and Power. 510 lacks maps.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:51 pm

some emails between HTA and myself think that I need to ensure all items have the latest software :roll:

The phone needs an update, so that will take a while.

Confirmed no fix yet for elevation screen scale change. Also, no suggested fix for backlight except to change data screen up & back (that's a fail too)

:|

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:39 pm

skydance wrote:Pretty much all bluetooth devices fail occasionally (including all Garmin devices). This one is not a total failure, but yes it does reconnect to the phone every few minutes. It's not the most important feature anyway.
But HRM fail!!! This is outrageous.

jasonc, I'd swap my HRM Run for a cheaper HRM Premium. As for 520->510... I need maps, HR and Power. 510 lacks maps.
A lot of people have been complaining about this (HRM Run issue). I'm sure it'll be fixed in the first firmware update.

I run a normal (non Garmin) HRM, Vectors, Garmin speed sensor and bluetooth to a Samsung Galaxy S6, and it has been very reliable for me. A couple of minor UI things that can be improved, but otherwise I am very happy.

Now i just want Garmin to fix up the sleep bug in the Vector firmware. Get to it, Garmin!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.