Garmin 520 !!

MichaelB

Re: Garmin 520 !!

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:18 pm

vosadrian wrote:I have an iphone 6, so just reporting my experiences.

* Some sort of auto backlighting at night mode
* Better data page layouts that allow items to be made larger so they are easier to see and identify.
* A couple of times if I power Garmin and Vectors and then leave my bike and come back 5 minutes later and the Vectors are asleep, it never re-establishes connection to the Vectors and I have to reboot to get the connection back.

There is a heap of capability that I am not using which just ends up making the unit a fair bit harder to setup than my old 500. I only use one activity type, and generally only 1-2 data pages. I am using it as a 500 with a bigger screen and BT upload capability really.

-- Adrian
Snap to that.

My sync issues though are related to the unit. My phone (iPhone 4S) is connected via the two Bluetooth modes, can send messages to the 520, but the 520 rarely finds the phone. Since it can't find the phone, it doesn't upload.

I'm with you in that I treat the 520 as a 500 with call/text notification.

I "hear hear" your improvements, and would like to add the following ;

* Elevation screen horizontal gradient scalable
* Able to turn off the elevation screen - it's a novelty at the moment, and some rides it's good, and others just another screen to scroll through
* able to see lap ascent (can only see total)
* easier to zoom maps (than the existing multiple button arrangement)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Just another experience that might help some.

When I first got mine, a friend had one on order and planned to use it for AGF that he was flying down to and did not want to bring a laptop for his 500. His did not arrive on time so I loaned him mine. He did not reset mine, but just repaired it to his. It seemed to do uploads OK (BLE), but phone/message alerts were not working. He did his event and returned it to me, and I re-paired to mine, and I had the same issue. So I did a factory reset and removed the device pairings on my phone and went through initial setup again, and then it worked fine again including text/call alerts. It seemed to get into a state where it saw the connection for BLE and BT, but the alerts were not working. I could only fix this by doing the full BT initial setup again.

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:07 pm

vosadrian wrote: I am using it as a 500 with a bigger screen and BT upload capability really.
Same here. I haven't expected anything else though.
Some new features like auto-FTP, recovery time and Cycling VO2 are somewhat good too.
Oh, and maps (OSM) can be used a bit. I did it a few times, however, nothing event close to 810 - there is no way to create a route on the device itself.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I've not used the maps at all, but I did notice it says on the screen "Ready to Navigate". What does that mean?

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:14 pm

It means you are not following any course and it won't give you turn hints.
If you create a course and start it, instead of 'Ready to Navigate' it'll show something like '(left turn) 500 meters'.

You can switch that 'Ready to Navigate' sign off, freeing some real estate on the screen. It's in Map settings for selected profile.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Well, I think my saga is finally sorted.

After many phone calls back to HTA, I was told to return it (at my cost - grumble), and after almost 3 weeks, was told that there was no fault found, and ready for me to pick it up.

I called and tried to get some answers re what the tests they did were etc, but was told little info, and after a bit of argy bargy (as I was pretty insistent that they explain to me how that if the unit couldn't find the phone, that was acceptable, only to be told that (in their words " I was chasing ghosts" and got hung up on. TWICE !!!! ) as to whether the fact that the head unit couldn't find the phone was an issue or not, it was returned.

In the meantime I had gotten a new phone (iPhone 5S), and when I tried to set it all up again on the new phone, guess what ?? SAME DAMN ISSUE !!!

I tried unpairing and re-pairing several times to no avail. Then did the full factory reset (as others have described on the Garmin forums), and it appears to have worked.

Now I just have to set up all the screens again and take it for a ride.

Fingers crossed it worked.

[sigh]

Oh, and when trying to explain the issue to HTA staff and that it was a common issue on the Garmin forum (and others), I was told that "not everything on the internet is true". :evil: :evil: :evil: REALLY !!!!! :roll:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:Oh, and when trying to explain the issue to HTA staff and that it was a common issue on the Garmin forum (and others), I was told that "not everything on the internet is true". :evil: :evil: :evil: REALLY !!!!! :roll:
Yeah all our complaints on the Garmin forum are made up! We just make stuff up for fun :lol:

Still pleased with my 520, although the most recent version of Garmin Connect seems to have buggered up BT sync. Typical Garmin, take something working and break it....The most recent firmware for the Forerunner 225 did that. Updated my wife's watch and everything got screwy. Had to dodgy up a firmware downgrade. :roll:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 am

Well I can say now that I am a happy camper.

The full factory reset worked so well (the phone is connected before the satellites !!), and all the uploads and syncs and messages work a treat. Now, all they have to do is fix up the other (now minor) glitches.

Anyway, on to another question, specifically with the maps.

I've downloaded the routable bicycle maps*** and uploaded, and they work fine. But .....

My understanding (and I'm possibly wrong) is that, if I'm on a ride somewhere and go merrily along and get to the point that I want to go home, but not via the route I took, I could just selected the various buttons (still a bit confused how to do it each time, but practice ..) to get to the screen that I can select to be directed by either the route I just did, or the most direct.

I've selected the most direct, and instead of providing a route with turn by turn instructions (as per a normal sat-nav), it just comes up with a straight line and a distance.

Am I thinking that it should do something that it doesn't/can't ?

Am I doing it wrong ?

Or did I accidently not download the routable maps ? (see asterisks above - I thought I did ...)

Any advice (useful, unlike the HTA advice/help) would be grateful

Ta

Michael B

skydance

Postby skydance » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:My understanding (and I'm possibly wrong) is that, if I'm on a ride somewhere and go merrily along and get to the point that I want to go home, but not via the route I took, I could just selected the various buttons (still a bit confused how to do it each time, but practice ..) to get to the screen that I can select to be directed by either the route I just did, or the most direct.
Yes you are wrong. This unit cannot create route on the fly. One has to create a route using Garmin Connect website, then upload it to the device to enable navigation.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 am

OK, thanks for that. Had high hopes I was just doing it wrong, but it's as I suspected. :roll:

skydance

Postby skydance » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:32 am

Garmin sells 810 for pretty much the same price. It can create routes on the fly. But it's bulkier and, IMHO, buggier.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:07 pm

skydance wrote:Garmin sells 810 for pretty much the same price. It can create routes on the fly. But it's bulkier and, IMHO, buggier.
Invested in the 520, and that's enough. Plus not keen on touch screen.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:35 pm

I picked up a 520 yesterday and its first use today showed that it is a nice bit of kit. I disabled the Strava segments, phone messaging / notifications, etc - don't need them, but can say that the bluetooth post-ride upload went flawlessly via my Sony Z3!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Lucky you.

Mine still working well, so happier now. Coupla things I'd still like fixed, but they are not major issues.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 am

I'm looking to pick up an Edge 520 (finally!) - is the Pushy's price on the performance bundle the best deal going, or is there something better (coupon code discount etc)?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Nezumi - if it's available on the pushys ebay store buy it that way using the 15% code
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:27 pm

I think I missed out on the 15% off coupon - "celebrate2015" is all I could find and it ended at 1pm today. (Just my luck)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Bugger. Sorry
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

I know this is an old thread but rather than start a new one I thought I'd just continue on this one.

I just purchased a Garmin Edge 520 and set it all up, all is fine. I completed a ride this morning (first ride since getting it) and it saved onto Garmin Connect but it did not auto upload to Strava. Is there something I need to do to get this to happen? I already linked Strava onto the phone?

Edit: I had a look on the Strava web page and where it says "device" it now shows Garmin 520. Previously it would show as "strava android app". I think this is now working fine, right?

If it's working fine, and this is the way it is supposed to be, that's fine. I'll give it another go hopefully tomorrow morning.

How long does it normally take to show up on Strava after uploading to Garmin Connect?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: I just purchased a Garmin Edge 520 and set it all up, all is fine. I completed a ride this morning (first ride since getting it) and it saved onto Garmin Connect but it did not auto upload to Strava. Is there something I need to do to get this to happen? I already linked Strava onto the phone?
On your Strava page go into settings and then connections. Make sure Garmin Connect is enabled. In Garmin Connect make sure it is linked to Strava.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:17 am

Anybody else find their 520 does not resume live tracking and phone sms/call notifications if the Bluetooth connection drops out during a ride? (Eg going into a shop with your phone in your pocket)
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:58 am

My auto upload works flawlessly now which is great.

Havent had an issue with Bluetooth dropping out. I usually don't stray far from the bike when out on a ride.

Test it at home: Connect the phone to the Garmin 520, get someone to call you and make sure the missed call shows. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect and get someone to call you again and see if the notifications show up. If not try resetting the device

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:46 am

Defy The Odds wrote: Test it at home: Connect the phone to the Garmin 520, get someone to call you and make sure the missed call shows. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect and get someone to call you again and see if the notifications show up. If not try resetting the device
That's I good idea. I know it won't work without something done after a reconnect. But testing at home will make finding a solution faster. Thanks.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt