De Rosa R838 vs Colnago CLX 3.0

NoobieBiker

De Rosa R838 vs Colnago CLX 3.0

Postby NoobieBiker » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:04 am

So its 2015 sale again for bikes! (Sweet! last year's bikes out and the new models in! Time to buy! :lol: )
I have narrowed down my options between 2 bikes.
The colnago clx 3.0 bike or the De rosa r838 bike. Both on ultegra 11 speed, carbon fibre frame and of course same price!

Can anyone please help me out :roll: !
Thanks your help guys

open roader

Re: De Rosa R838 vs Colnago CLX 3.0

Postby open roader » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Both are entry level frames from Colnago and De Rosa.

If both are built to the same equipment level then maybe it's only wheels and tyres that might separate them on paper.

You will struggle to find too many who have ridden both these bikes as a direct comparison so it's likely to become a populartiy vote.

Objectively, I have only a semi-educated opinion as I've test ridden a CLX over a very short ride ( version 2.0 frameset, I think it was) It's a good frame for absorbing high frequency road vibe given the cheap low spoke count wheels and thin lightweight race tyres that were fitted on the test bike in question.

Subjectively I love the shape and lines of the CLX frames but that is purely my own personal taste - the De Rosa R838 looks like a lovely frame and paint job on the internet to me too.

My advice is get a test ride of both models on bikes that fit you then decide for yourself. If you can't pick any difference then buy the cheaper bike. Do not buy if the shop refuses a test ride.

If you need to ask a bike forum which bike to choose from then I say you really need to test ride both without fail.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:50 pm

In the latest Ride Magazine review the didn't rate the quality of the DeRosa's paint.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Have a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12829744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stumbled upon it when researching the 838 and merak frames earlier this year.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Strawburger wrote:Have a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12829744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stumbled upon it when researching the 838 and merak frames earlier this year.
Very interesting.

The CLX frameset has had a long production run and is manufactured by Giant in Taiwan for Colnago. I'm yet to spot any online chat or seen myself a copy version, most likely as it's made under licence The current CLX frameset has lost it's lovely curves - looks like any other bike now, however, that again, is just my own personal taste and opinion.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 am

If the CLX is made by Giant. Why pay the premium for the "Colnago" name and just buy a Giant?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am

singlespeedscott wrote:If the CLX is made by Giant. Why pay the premium for the "Colnago" name and just buy a Giant?
That's amusing coming from a person that dislikes sloping top tubes. :lol: But I totally agree from a function/value proposition. You pay a large premium to have the word "Colnago" on the frame.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:17 am

I wouldn't buy either. Their made from plastic [emoji1]I just don't see the point of buying a Colnago if it's made by someone else.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:27 pm

biker jk wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:If the CLX is made by Giant. Why pay the premium for the "Colnago" name and just buy a Giant?
That's amusing coming from a person that dislikes sloping top tubes. :lol: But I totally agree from a function/value proposition. You pay a large premium to have the word "Colnago" on the frame.
I agree also. If it's not lugged steel or lugged carbon then technically it's not an Italian Colnago. All of Colnago's monocoque frames are now made in Taiwan.

The CLX was the first Colnago to be manufactured in Taiwan but the frames were shipped back to Italy for painting. I am unsure of this prectice now but my suspecion is that all of the Taiwanese made Colnago frames are now painted in Taiwan too.

However, you won't find the same carbon weave in Giant bikes that you will find in the CLX. Again, it's a fact that means something to some buyers and means nothing to others.

Taiwanese Colnago it may be, I still very much like the look of the CLX 1.0/2.0/3.0 frames

NoobieBiker

Postby NoobieBiker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks guysfor theresponses.
Wow didnt know that the colnago was made in taiwan now.
I both had a test drive on the bikes. I likes the de rosa. But I've been combing around ebay and gumtree and
I'm actually looking at secondhand now coz I can't decide! Some of the bikes are really cool with di2 full carbon etc! Hehe

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:30 pm

open roader wrote: The CLX frameset has had a long production run and is manufactured by Giant in Taiwan for Colnago. I'm yet to spot any online chat or seen myself a copy version, most likely as it's made under licence
What you will find is that Colnago own the design and tooling, and would most likely have done all the development and prototyping work, and then commissioned Giant with their vast production facilities and experience in carbon to manufacture the frames.
Giant themselves are very coy about their production customers out of respct for them, because many don't admit they outsource production.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 pm

NoobieBiker wrote:Thanks guysfor theresponses.
Wow didnt know that the colnago was made in taiwan now.
I both had a test drive on the bikes. I likes the de rosa. But I've been combing around ebay and gumtree and
I'm actually looking at secondhand now coz I can't decide! Some of the bikes are really cool with di2 full carbon etc! Hehe
There's a cosmetically imperfect R838 for sale on the Buy/Sell Road Cycling Victoria Facebook page at the moment

Dr.Nate

Postby Dr.Nate » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm selling a colnago clx 3.0 with ultegra di2 in a 52s size .. Which is a 54cm equivalent .. Great condition, selle Italia carbon saddle.. Selling without wheels though .. Let me know if anyone is interested .. I'm in Melb .. It's a great bike I've never raced so solo rides mostly , no crashes

Cheers

Dr Nate