Trek Boone 5 vs Trek Domane 4.3 Disc

jcannon43

Postby jcannon43 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my near 10-year-old MTB, which I have recently started to use as my daily commuter to work (getting older and heavier and need the exercise!)...

My commute is a 12.5km round trip with some hills, but nothing I would call serious... More of a sprint than anything... Takes me about 18 mins each way travelling at an average of 22-26km/h...

I am enjoying the cycling not only for the fitness benefits but also for the "me" time it provides (I recently sold my motorcycle so the cycling is great alternative in that regard). In fact. I am considering permanently ditching the car keys and riding when ever possible to get from A to B, rain, hail, or shine...

I am considering either a Trek Boone 5 or a Trek Domane 4.3 Disc... 98% of my commute is on the road with 2% on other reasonably good residential surfaces, such as grass and footpaths, that will permit me to keep the legs rolling over and avoid stopping at traffic lights etc.

Any opinions on these bikes? Anything else I should consider?

All replies appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jack

A_P

Re: Trek Boone 5 vs Trek Domane 4.3 Disc

Postby A_P » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 am

Whatever you choose, mount points for rack and panniers and clearance for full length mudguards should be on your list.
Dont buy a bike that you cant adapt to meet your needs in the future.
IMO I wouldnt buy a utility bike withour disc brakes either.
AP

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 am

jcannon43 wrote:Anything else I should consider?
Friend recently acquired a Specialized Diverge. Very impressive - you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't look one over.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcannon43

Postby jcannon43 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for the replies...

Yes, I think mudguards would be very useful given I would like to ride in wet weather...Will make sure that mount points are available...

I did see the diverge, looks nice... But was hoping for something carbon fibre... But requiring mount points I push me to aluminum anyway.

Thanks again.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:58 pm

I have the Trek Boone 9, I have 2 wheelsets and have used it for group rides, charity rides, commuting, single tracks and cyclocross... I bought it when I was looking at going to Hong Kong and could only have 1 bike...covers all bases but is very comfortable on the road... and the roads are crap in Brisbane...well where I live anyway.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm

jcannon43 wrote:I did see the diverge, looks nice... But was hoping for something carbon fibre... But requiring mount points I push me to aluminum anyway.
There are six models of Diverge - two of them are carbon fibre. They have fender mounts so a rack will be easy to fit.

jcannon43

Postby jcannon43 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for that..

Next question... How rude it is if I buy a bike from a dealer out of town (as local dealers only sell trek and a couple of other brands); but then take it to them for servicing?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Are the diverge bikes thru axle? If not my money is on the domane.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:16 am

Calvin27 wrote:Are the diverge bikes thru axle? If not my money is on the domane.
Yes

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:40 am

RonK wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:Are the diverge bikes thru axle? If not my money is on the domane.
Yes
Yes they are, but use non standard axles. Front i think use standard 100 x 15mm hub, but rear axle is a 'specialized configuration' ie you can't use a standard wheel set. They do supply a different hanger to use for standard wheels, but makes it a whole lot of hassle if you want to run the original wheels with gravel tires and have a lighter wheel set for road. no doubt you can but a another wheel set from specialized for twice the price of after market ones.
I've had a similar hassle with a specialized mountain bike with the OS QR 28mm hubs. I could buy a sram wheelset for $700 + from my dealer, instead got a Stans set for $440. Not as stiff with the normal QR, but affordable. Specialized could have specced the bike with 15mm through axle at the time, but no need to fork it's customers like they are doing with the Diverge rear axle. I'm sure they have a long speil about why it's superior to what everyone esle is using. I' going to wait for the Norco / other gravel grinders to come to Aus with standard through axle hubs. Once bitten twice shy babe.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:03 pm

jcannon43 wrote:Thanks for that..

Next question... How rude it is if I buy a bike from a dealer out of town (as local dealers only sell trek and a couple of other brands); but then take it to them for servicing?

I don't think it is an issue to be honest - they'll make money on the servicing, so should be accommodating.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

cjhfield1

Postby cjhfield1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I have had my Domane Disc 4.5 for about 4 months and have done about 3000km mostly on my 40km return commute on poor NSW country roads. I wanted as comfortable road bike as I could buy and the Domane has lived up to my expectations. I have 28mm AW3 tyres 90psi on the rear, 80psi at the front and it soaks up road shock brilliantly. Some of my weekend routes have maybe 20km of dirt roads and it is fine on those. I wanted the hydraulic discs as my mountain bike has them and they are very good but I did not expect the improved front end stiffness that the through axle gives. Its rock solid on fast descents. I don't think I have ridden a bike that feels as good fast down hill.

So overall I think its a fantastic bike and if it was stolen tomorrow I would buy another. Its limitation is that it is not so easy to fit a rack. It can fit mudguards. Arkel make a small rack that mounts from the saddle and is carbon post friendly. Old Man Mountain racks use a Robert Axle to mount a rack - I suspect there is a long axle that would allow these racks to fit with a seat collar clamp.

I have not ridden he Boone. If you ride 50% or more off road I think it is a better choice. The Domane has a very relaxed geometry which suits me fine - the Boone may be more Cyclocross race oriented so may not be as comfortable. You would need to test ride it.

HTH

Chris