Knog lights: any thoughts?

Storm Boy

Re: Knog lights: any thoughts?

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Well I broke one of my Knogs for the first time a few days ago, but it was as a result of being T boned by a car :-( Another one got away with scratches/dents. The silicon strap is fine, it was the plastic catch on the other side that broke. Just waiting to get over it (fairly minor injuries fortunately) and for insurance. Hi vis and 4 lights, in broad daylight. I think I need lights that shine 90 degrees to the side.
Last edited by Storm Boy on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:24 am

herzog wrote:Possible. Maybe next time take it with you when you park the bike and see if there is a difference?
Well, the rear blinder did it again, but this time it was at home. Light had 2 hours of use from full charge when I arrived home last night. Low batt light had not come on.
I went to turn the light on this morning and it was dead. I'll have to see if it came with a warranty, as it is less than a year old, purchased from Pushys. Will contact Knog and see what they say.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:40 pm

http://www.dinglights.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Am glad this project is going ahead.
Anyone has the Ding? I wonder if the downward light could have been less power/ switch off-able...
Lumileds are Philips devices.

Go S.A!

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Good to hear your OK SB.

+1 for Hi Vis, and lights on during the day.
On a different story, have found that my water filled XLC brand front flasher was fixable by cleaning it out/drying it, getting rid of the rust on the contacts with steel wool and metho. Works now. Till next time anyhow....
Are there any front lights that use 4x AA's batteries? or 2 x 18650's that are not enclosed in the brand's enclosures?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Mine died. Arc 5,5. Rattled the battery loose internally, won't charge. Bit bummed
Weight isn't ideal on it tho, can't handle the weight and vibrations. I think theblinder 4 might be better, more interested in a be seen light in summer, than a seeing light. Annoying! Warranty time.

spider1974

Postby spider1974 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:41 pm

grimbo wrote:I had two knog lights that both snapped their straps. At the time I put it down to having thicker than normal handle bars. But I wasn't aware of special instructions for stretching and securing the strap, so that may have prevented the breakage if I'd known.

Besides the breakage, I liked the lights and their performance was good.
just had my first Knog go..strap broke within 6 weeks...except I wasn't putting it on/off...just remained on the bike.

How was the warranty?

OP: if the warranty isn't up to scratch - perhaps leave Knog off your shopping list!

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Second Blinder Road rear light snapped today. Light was in place - just went snap.

Ironically, it was a warranty replacement. I've asked for it to be replaced with the new one that comes with replaceable straps. Hopefully a spare at work will get me home next time.

spider1974

Postby spider1974 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm

lucky7 wrote:Second Blinder Road rear light snapped today. Light was in place - just went snap.

Ironically, it was a warranty replacement. I've asked for it to be replaced with the new one that comes with replaceable straps. Hopefully a spare at work will get me home next time.
I was in a peloton when mine went, many apologies to the riders behind me. Sent them an email about it last thursday....still haven't heard back. Think I'll ask for a refund thanks to this thread.

But what is better????

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:50 pm

spider1974 wrote:
lucky7 wrote:Second Blinder Road rear light snapped today. Light was in place - just went snap.

I was in a peloton when mine went, many apologies to the riders behind me. Sent them an email about it last thursday....still haven't heard back. Think I'll ask for a refund thanks to this thread.

But what is better????
I did the warranty form on the website. Unfortunately for Knog, I have a day off tomorrow, so will be through their door mid-afternoon if I don't get a reply. Pretty underwhelmed by their lack of service this time and last time.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I had the chance to play around with a few a couple days back, and the Blinder 4 looked to be pretty good as a basic front light and rear light. Doesn't have the same mass as the ARC5.5 to cause dipping issues.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 pm

I use the Cateye Volt 300 for my commuting. A much better mounting system. Way better burn time and a better battery system. They are only $60 from pushys as well.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm

I called Knog this morning to ask why they hadn't replied to my email. They said someone would get straight on to it.

Here is what I emailed them with in the first place:
Hi, I received my current (now damaged) light as a warranty replacement some time last year (I think). The same issue has arisen, with the rubber strap snapping.

I don't have the proof of purchase, as this was a warranty replacement itself. I have just attached a copy of the photo of the damage as it wouldn't allow me to proceed without the file attached.

Could this be replaced with the model that has the replaceable straps?

Their Response:
Thanks for your email, we are sorry to hear about your Blinder Road Rear light.

Without proof of purchase unfortunately we cannot process a warranty, however as a gesture of goodwill we can assist to offer you a 10% discount voucher on this occasion. Please use discount code 10KNGDIS upon checkout at the Knog website and 10% discount will be provided off a new website purchase (onetime use only).

Kind Regards,
Roslyn

I replied (again) explaining that there was no proof of purchase as they had given it to me as a warranty replacement and suggested they could look back through their warranty records, but haven't had a response as yet.

Looks like I'll be going elsewhere for my next light. Anyone want to tell me about the Fly6?

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm

I got a Blinder 4 a couple of weeks ago in the big Bikebug sale.

I used the light for the first time on Sun and haven't ridden since. I was really impressed with it.

Tonight I saw this thread and went to check my lights... voila, a ripped strap. From one use, on a 31.6mm seat post.

I am pretty #$#^%(AT)^& furious. I'll be going straight to Bikebug in the morning to see if they will replace it. Otherwise I suppose I'll need to submit info on the Knog site?

Pic: http://imgur.com/Rw1gKeP

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:00 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:I got a Blinder 4 a couple of weeks ago in the big Bikebug sale.

I used the light for the first time on Sun and haven't ridden since. I was really impressed with it.

Tonight I saw this thread and went to check my lights... voila, a ripped strap. From one use, on a 31.6mm seat post.

I am pretty #$#^%(AT)^& furious. I'll be going straight to Bikebug in the morning to see if they will replace it. Otherwise I suppose I'll need to submit info on the Knog site?

Pic: http://imgur.com/Rw1gKeP
Just make sure you have your receipt.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Yes I have the receipt (the benefit of online shopping, the site stores your entire invoice history. I guess I'll ring Bikebug and if they won't do it I'll go via Knog.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Go to the retailer, they are your first point of call and will look after their customers, then they deal with the distributer who then deals with knog, but not your concern as it is a straight replacement.

On the warranty replacement that broke, call them but be nice. Let them know who provided the replacement and when and provide your original purchase receipt and you are good to go.
Cycling is in my BNA

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 am

AUbicycles wrote:Go to the retailer, they are your first point of call and will look after their customers, then they deal with the distributer who then deals with knog, but not your concern as it is a straight replacement.
Dropped it into Bikebug, they were happy to replace it on the spot, so that was great - but they didn't have stock, so they'll get one in for me. Happy with that.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 am

It's mind boggling the number of lights/cameras with poor mounts. There must be no testing conducted pre-release to market. To follow this up with terrible warranty service, fully knowing their product is faulty, defies belief.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:26 pm

As I said the Cateye mount S##ts all over the opposition. Knog are living off their inner city, hipster, cool, cachet, producing an under performing, over priced product.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:30 pm

So after initially refusing to replace the light, they have replied to my social media posts and apologised for the 'mix up'. Maybe social media shaming is the most effective way to get good service?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 pm

lucky7 wrote:So after initially refusing to replace the light, they have replied to my social media posts and apologised for the 'mix up'. Maybe social media shaming is the most effective way to get good service?
Yes it's evident that social media shaming is much more effective than privately complaining via email/phone. You can send a dozen emails and get nowhere but as soon as you post to their Facebook page there's an instant response. Of course this discriminates against those who prefer not to be on Facebook with respect to having their complaints responded to in a prompt manner.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:56 am

Weird, when the clasp on my Knog Blinder broke after a couple of weeks, I just spoke to Knog directly. I ordered it from Pushys but Knog on the phone asked for me to send proof of purchase and sent out a new one without any drama's.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am

Interesting use of the term "mix up" within the whole context of this sales saga. :?
lucky7 wrote:So after initially refusing to replace the light, they have replied to my social media posts and apologised for the 'mix up'. Maybe social media shaming is the most effective way to get good service?

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:27 pm

http://mschausprojects.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... nting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Also compounding the issue is you have to take it off and on constantly just to charge it and that needs to happen quite often.

QR mechanism would be much better. Replaceable strap like the lezyne ones (which also can be charged on the bike)