Helmet mounted lights

BugsBunny

Helmet mounted lights

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi guys

Can someone recommend a few helmet mounted front lights to me?

I intend to use it to "point" to drivers at round a bouts to signal my presence.

I guess about 100+ lumens, battery operated with sufficient power for about 3 hours night ride, with some mounting system for the helmet and not too heavy would be the main criteria.

So far, I found Knog, Lezyne and Topeak have some options but I can't quiet find the perfect one for my needs so if anyone knows of other options, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Bugs

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Helmet mounted lights

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:55 am

Have you looked at Ayup?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Boognoss wrote:Have you looked at Ayup?
I personally wouldn't recommend anything too bright for his purposes, you do want them to be able to see...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:08 pm

BenGr wrote:
I personally wouldn't recommend anything too bright for his purposes, you do want them to be able to see...
Yes good point, I had ease of mounting in mind and overlooked the lighthouse levels of lumens from Ayup. That said you could run them on minimum brightness and they can be angled to not shine in motorists eyes (unless you tilt your head right back for example, I do this in winter). I have previous gem Ayups so less bright than the current revision but my batteries are only on/off. I don't have the brightness settings.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Boognoss wrote:
BenGr wrote:
Yes good point, I had ease of mounting in mind and overlooked the lighthouse levels of lumens from Ayup. That said you could run them on minimum brightness and they can be angled to not shine in motorists eyes (unless you tilt your head right back for example, I do this in winter). I have previous gem Ayups so less bright than the current revision but my batteries are only on/off. I don't have the brightness settings.
Same here but if you want to be sure that bloke rolling up to the give way sign really knows you're there, there's nothing better than lighting up the inside of the vehicle.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 pm

I am a big fan of helmet lights - mine has a button for normal & stun. IMO you want a narrow spot so it only lights up where you point it. Anyone oncoming, be it car, bike or pedestrian, point it away from them. Where it is invaluable is for cars entering from side streets - a flick of my head & anyone with half a brain sees you. For the remaining few, a quick push of a button & the entire inside of their car is lit up.

Since fitting it, I do not have people pulling out on me at night. There are particular spots on my commute where my light is set to stun in anticipation

The problem with many helmet lights is not that they are too bright, but they are not tightly focused.

Some people find the weight of any battery on their helmet can be uncomfortable, in which case go for an external battery you can slip in a jersey pocket

One downside, or so I am told, is that observing that a person is looking particularly chic tonight is fine, giving them the once over with a spot light is less than subtle :oops:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Try the CatEye Volt 300, I am using their helmet mount too.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:18 pm

I've no idea what they are like as far as meeting your spec but the few times I've been in Anaconda there have been headlamps going cheap. Might be worth a look next time you're passing.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:05 pm

most of them (from Anaconda) are battery-operated, which will be no where as bright (i know because i have them).

i was using the below. best light i have (or had).
http://www.lightandmotion.com/vis-360-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pros
- light, you hardly notice it's there
- red LED light on the rear of the helmet integrated with battery
- it is bright enough to use as my primary light
- battery easiliy lasts 4 hrs or more
- can be charged from PC
Cons
- found the USB tab fiddly to use because it is covered by a tight waterproof seal (eventually i broke the USB charging tab)
- expensive

then i swopped to a Fyxo light lying around unused and mounted it on my helmet
Pros
- bright, too bright (?) so i used the Low settings all the time
Cons
- heavier and bulkier. the battery is kept in my backpack with an extended cable linking the 2
- only front-facing, no rear LED light
- protrude quite high above your helmet
- lipo batt needs to be charged from AC socket

once you get used to a helmet-mounted light, you'll never go back.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Ayups... I use them commuting through the city. Have them on low mostly in the city then set them to high when I'm on unlit shared paths. Set up right they are not a problem for other people.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 pm

caneye wrote:once you get used to a helmet-mounted light, you'll never go back.
Why? I've got a bright handlebar mounted light which is bright, lights up the areas that are suitable for my needs, uses rechargeable batteries and doesn't encumber me with additional head weight. I'm curious now as to what could the helmet mounted light offer me which my existing one doesn't.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
caneye wrote:once you get used to a helmet-mounted light, you'll never go back.
Why? I've got a bright handlebar mounted light which is bright, lights up the areas that are suitable for my needs, uses rechargeable batteries and doesn't encumber me with additional head weight. I'm curious now as to what could the helmet mounted light offer me which my existing one doesn't.
BugsBunny wrote:Hi guys

I intend to use it to "point" to drivers at round a bouts to signal my presence.

Thanks

Bugs
Mulger bill wrote:...if you want to be sure that bloke rolling up to the give way sign really knows you're there, there's nothing better than lighting up the inside of the vehicle.
find_bruce wrote:I am a big fan of helmet lights - mine has a button for normal & stun. IMO you want a narrow spot so it only lights up where you point it. Anyone oncoming, be it car, bike or pedestrian, point it away from them. Where it is invaluable is for cars entering from side streets - a flick of my head & anyone with half a brain sees you. For the remaining few, a quick push of a button & the entire inside of their car is lit up.

Since fitting it, I do not have people pulling out on me at night.
That should cover it. :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Not really answering my question though. :D

If the aim is to blind the driver by directly pointing it in their eyes, then I can see why that could be briefly advantageous but ultimately not good practice.

My handlebar mounted light does everything I need from it therefore a more appropriate answer should have been, 'you'll never go back as long as your situation and riding conditions demand it' :D

I'd also dispute that any light stops a driver pulling out in front of them. Driver inattention will occur regardless of conditions and a helmet mounted light doesn't give greater assurance over a handlebar mounted light, that the driver won't pull out. :twisted:

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Try a helmet light.... Those that use them know the answer :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Drizt wrote:Try a helmet light.... Those that use them know the answer :)
This...
https://goo.gl/maps/o4oHz
Within the first 10 minutes of my commute. I'm a shiftworker and regularly riding this at 2100.

Pullouts were once common, only one since a narrow AyUp graced my scone many years ago.

Use in other areas is dependent on prevailing circumstances but they are always ready.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Drizt wrote:Try a helmet light.... Those that use them know the answer :)
This...
https://goo.gl/maps/o4oHz
Within the first 10 minutes of my commute. I'm a shiftworker and regularly riding this at 2100.

Pullouts were once common, only one since a narrow AyUp graced my scone many years ago.

Use in other areas is dependent on prevailing circumstances but they are always ready.
I think they're great for fishing. :D

However, on a sample survey of one or two; I remain unconvinced and reserve judgement as to their benefits in preventing driver pullouts when cycling :P :twisted:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 pm

I ride the streets at night quite happily, without any helmet-mounted lights.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 pm

helmet light greatly helps when going through sharp turns, especially when they are thick shrubs on both sides.

also , went coming up behind pedestrians on foot path in the dark, a quick shake of the helmet light will easily get their attention without startling them with a bell.

and IF you ever need to change a puncture at night ...

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:22 pm

I ride without helmet lights and mostly without incidents but I am quite convinced that they have a place in cycling safety. The light on the helmets moves "erratically "with the head movement which is the main benefit. That flash or light is enough to alert a driver that the front mounted light may not be able to capture the drivers attention.

I also ride down unlit hills at speed and helmet lights help you see around the corner.

Just my two cents worth.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 pm

I use to believe in helmet mounted lights as you can look around corners and get drivers attention by shining in their car.

My belief has now changed.
Having a helmeted light is not so bad if it is small and not so bright, but if big and bright no, why;

It is very annoying on cycleways as the light flashes bright as you look at the cyclist coming towards you. You normal look at the cyclist just out of target fixation, blinding him.

Handlebar light can be really bright and pointed down to light the road in front, but don't blind the oncoming cyclists.

A helmet light (bright) is like a flashing light at night, dam annoying, as the intensity at one point is always changing and the other cyclist eyes can't adapt so quickly.

I also believe bigger lights would affect the helmets ability to work effectively in an accident, and these lights add more weight to your head.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Helmet lights are great off the road, proper off road, in the bush. On the road I haven't really found the need for them, but don't generally ride in a lot of traffic at night.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I have a small moon mask light on the helmet, less than 100 lumens (probably 70?), have on slow flash during the day and steady at night when fully dark. Just makes me a bit more visible, and does work on drivers on side roads and roundabouts who don't notice the handlebar light from the side. It's tiny, very light and USB charging. Useful for looking down at a speedo in the dark too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:04 pm

I don't use mine so much these days because an MTB helmet is out of place on a roadie but I strongly second the other posts commenting on their ability to stop morons in their tracks when they're about to turn across your path or cut in on you.

I had a near miss with idjits almost every night ride and they stopped completely once I bought the Ayups. Some of those had included unlit cyclists on bike paths - saved me from a few nasty head-ons, and o one occasion a very suspect-looking character who when I rounded the corner under the bridge at Concord planted himself centre of the path as though to hold me up. Blinding the dude allowed me to escape.

The small hotspot while annoying in the bush is good for commuting as you can point it away from other cyclists to avoid blinding them, or at them (sometimes) if a lesson needs to be taught about trying to imitate a ninja.

They are also much safer in wet conditions, where normal "see me" lights are simply lost in all the wet surface reflections.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:24 pm

maybe the OP should have a laser pointer gaffer-taped to his brain bucket.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Maybe Xeccon Link (63 grams), but they do not come with a helmet mount. Similar to Moon Meteor 200.Pretty sure there would be a mount available. Maybe on dx.com? $45= Xeccon Link. Weight of the unit and/or battery (if separate) a factor to consider. I have not used one (Link), but I have the Xeccon S-12 (separates) which would be more than necessary unless off road (a bit heavy also) so far excellent light/value mounted underside handlebars. Long run-time/low is plenty.
+1 Cateye Volt 300 maybe also...
Serfas/Moon option- although TSL/X-power 500's maximum lumen/run-time may be less than you need. Spot beam pattern.125 grams (just the light).I don't know the weight of the helmet mount, but they are available.4 hours on 200 lumen setting.

Anyway, may help...or not