First road bike, two grand

ninjas9

First road bike, two grand

Postby ninjas9 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:48 pm

I've finally got around to looking at new bikes to replace my current 2010 Avanti Blade, which is now not right for the rides I've been doing. I had a look around this morning and came away with these two:

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102721684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2 – $1899

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/ro ... -3260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meridia Scultura 4000 – $1799

I also looked at a Trek Emonda s5 for $1950, but considering the need for shoes+pedals I think that will push the budget a bit.
I want to buy from a local shop, Adelaide metro area, so I can have it properly fitted and the free early services inlcuded, as well as having shoes and pedals thrown in to some sort of deal.

Are there any major differences between these two bikes, or things I should look out for. And if anybody has any experience with either and can offer some comments.
They both seem to be close to what I'm looking for, but I haven't been able to give either of them a proper thrashing so I can't really tell the difference, and I'm not sure I could considering my current base for comparison.

open roader

Re: First road bike, two grand

Postby open roader » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Giant and Merida are the two largest Asian based manufacturers of carbon frames - both directly in competion with eachother.

Both of these bikes are similarly spec'd with 11sp Shimano 105.

The main difference in specification I can see here is that the Giant has a semi-compact crankset and a medium range cassette, the Merida has genuine compact cranks and a shorter geared cassette - you will find the Merida easier to sit and spin up the steeper grades but if you intend to sprint flat out at high speeds the Giant has more gearing for this. That is not to say that one is a climbing bike and one is a sprinting bike - both are perfectly rideable, just that as listed here these bikes have a significant difference in gearing at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

If one bike is a standout ride but you prefer the gearing of the other then insist upon the shop swapping the cassette to your preference for the same purchase price - I did this when I purchased a 2009 TCR Adv. 1 from a local Giant dealer.

From experience, the Giant TCR Advanced frame is a very stiff head down bum up racer.

Test ride both models with bikes that actually fit you - if the stores refuse a test ride on a correct sized bike then walk away. If you can't pick any difference between the two models than choose the cheaper model or who ever gives you the best deal on accessories / servicing if you don't plan to service your own bike.

If all else fails, pick the bike that looks the best to you as this can be a motivation to ride it more....and more........ :D

EDIT - BTW, what is wrong with your 2010 Avanti Blade? Bad fit / don't like the ride feel / broken or worn out parts / want a new bike. just curious?
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Both are decent choices for entry-level carbon, with decent groupsets, so out of them, go with the one you like the look / ride of the best. Mid-Compact to Compact isn't a lot of difference and can be altered anyway, with considered negotiation.

Good luck with it.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Cell Omeo 1.0 or Azzuri Forza Pro? Both higher spec driveline that you mention, Ultegra 6800, for around $2k.

I ride a Forza Pro and it really punches above it weight for cash, the Omeo was the other consideration but it has a much more aggressive geometry which would not suit me.

ninjas9

Postby ninjas9 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Cheers. I'm not able to test them against each other yet because the TCR isn't in stock yet; I'm going in on Thursday and they should have it in by then and I've got it on hold subject to a test ride. From what I've heard from others though neither bike will be that much less comfortable, but the TCR should be stiffer and a bit more responsive. Though much less than the Meridia Reacto one fairly zealous shoppie tried to sell me a week ago. I don't really want a more relaxed frame because I know I'll get faster fairly quickly and I'm trying to see this one as a fairly long-term investment. I know it'll be a huge jump from the Blade but so will anything and a few hundred kms should be enough to get over it.
open roader wrote:EDIT - BTW, what is wrong with your 2010 Avanti Blade? Bad fit / don't like the ride feel / broken or worn out parts / want a new bike. just curious?
There's nothing wrong with it, per se, it's just pretty heavy (I weighed it by standing on some bathroom scales with and without it and it was 17kg) and it probably isn't the right bike for the longer and more demanding rides I want to do now. Plus I got a decent tax return. The blade will have a set of mudflaps put on and turned into the commuter for when it stops raining so much.
jaythefordman wrote:Cell Omeo 1.0 or Azzuri Forza Pro? Both higher spec driveline that you mention, Ultegra 6800, for around $2k.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find either of these stocked in Adelaide. I don't think Cell sell anything outside of their online shops or their Sydney/Melbourne stores, and I just haven't seen an Azzuri for whatever reason.

ninjas9

Postby ninjas9 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Well I bought the Giant on Thursday. I went for a bit of a pedal on my old primary school's asphalt to practice using the pedals on Saturday, and I put in a fairly easy and flat 40km on Sunday. I love it; it's more comfortable than the old machine despite being a far more bum up position, and I got much the same speeds despite deliberately holding myself back. I haven't climbed anything yet though, but as I can lift it with a couple of fingers I think it'll do fine. I'm sure the Meridia would have made me feel similar, but it just didn't grab me like the TCR. The staff at the bike shop were very helpful and had me put more than a half hour on the trainer to get the fit right, and walked me through clipping, pedalling, shifting and braking, most of which I reckon I needed.

I'm very happy, and by Spring I'll be putting in 150km+ weekends.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:21 am

Onda ninja.

TCR is a very good frame. Unless you are A grade or higher a better fame would not give a noticeable performance advantage.

Ride re the wheels off it :wink:

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:01 am

ninjas9 wrote:There's nothing wrong with it, per se, it's just pretty heavy (I weighed it by standing on some bathroom scales with and without it and it was 17kg)
Seriously? There's must be concrete in the tubes or something. A fully kitted out steel tourer would be that weight, not an Al framed roadie.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

JdM

Postby JdM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Congrats on the purchase, great bike!
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1