2011 Hasa Team 5.0?

melias24

2011 Hasa Team 5.0?

Postby melias24 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Hey guys, first post!! I am after a budget used mountain bike. My mate has offered me a 2011 Hasa Team 5.0, and he wants $200 for it. It looks like a good solid bike, i am a casual rider, so hitting tiny tiny jumps, wheelies, and going up/down basic trails with a few jolts here and there, and casual rides down the road, although i still want something with disk brake and front suspension. My mate used it as a commuter so he didn't do anything intense on it.

I googled the parts list, (and to my knowledge or what i've heard) it has good parts, such as Shimano gearing, and avid brakes.
(Link to parts list: http://www.cyclingdealusa.com/HASA-Moun ... am5011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

My other option is a brand new Big-W Diamondback (i know not all Diamond-Back's are cheap and nasty, but i think this one might be)
Here is the link: http://www.bigw.com.au/product/diamondb ... 000207340/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But i do prefer the aesthetics of the Hasa. Basically i'm after a cheap bike, that can withstand the stuff i mentioned and last me at least 1.5-3 years.
And yes i have checked eBay, gumtree and local auction sites :)
~Elias

rodneycc

Re: 2011 Hasa Team 5.0?

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:53 am

yeah you won't go too far wrong for $200 if it fits and feels ok. Those Hasa's are heavy buggers but might be a good stepping stone until something better. Might be worth taking into a Bike shop and getting it checked out and serviced which might cost an extra $80 but way better than the Big W bike.

Good luck!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

barefoot

Re: 2011 Hasa Team 5.0?

Postby barefoot » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:04 pm

melias24 wrote:I googled the parts list, (and to my knowledge or what i've heard) it has good parts, such as Shimano gearing, and avid brakes.
(Link to parts list: http://www.cyclingdealusa.com/HASA-Moun ... am5011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
One point to be aware of - Shimano make parts to fit any budget. Advertising a bike as having Shimano gearing is pretty much meaningless - It's been a while since I saw a cheap bike that didn't have the cheapest nastiest low-end Shimano parts on it. Ironically, it's only high-ish end bikes that ever come with non-Shimano drivetrain parts (SRAM or Campagnolo being the other options - and you won't find them on department store bikes).

That said - the Shimano parts on the HASA are significantly better than the Shimano parts on the Diamondback.

It's a telling statement on the expertise of the people at HASA that they don't even know what model names and numbers to list... but I've been able to decipher some of those model numbers as being part of the Shimano Alivio range. Alivio is far from pro spec, but it's also well better than the no-name Shi(t)mano stuff you find on most supermarket bikes.

$200 won't get you much of a bike, but that HASA is probably about as good a bike as you're likely to find for that price. If it fits and isn't worn out or broken, I'd grab it.

tim