Bike warranty claim

alexhunter123711

Bike warranty claim

Postby alexhunter123711 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 pm

When claiming a warrany will they normally replace the bike/ frame or will give the option of refund as well? I have put in a warranty claim (haven't heard back yet) but would not feel safe riding one of these bikes again as it was quite a serious and dangerous problem.

macca33

Re: Bike warranty claim

Postby macca33 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 pm

If you want some considered advice, then it may be prudent to nominate what the issue was and which bicycle brand it relates to. If you cannot / do not wish to divulge these details, it is unlikely you'll receive any sort of meaningful response....

Good luck with the claim in any event.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Was it anything like this?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Warranty is generally a fix or a replacement. If you want a refund, then you should request your money back.

There can be variations on this and some brands and retailers have specific strategies to dealing with warranty requests (or ignoring customers).
Cycling is in my BNA

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Not a heavy rider, around 65kg's. I'm a bit hesitant to name the brand name of the old bike that failed until the issue is resolved, it failed while I was riding on a flat road, it would be easier if I could post pictures but basically the part of the fork that goes up through the frame to meet the handlebars literally snapped, came apart.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 pm

alexhunter123711 wrote:Not a heavy rider, around 65kg's. I'm a bit hesitant to name the brand name of the old bike that failed until the issue is resolved, it failed while I was riding on a flat road, it would be easier if I could post pictures but basically the part of the fork that goes up through the frame to meet the handlebars literally snapped, came apart.
That's what George Hincappie said.

IME steerer tubes are pretty solid and don't 'just break'. Those that I have seen have usually been subjected to some kind of abnormal force, usually an 'assisted stop'.

Cheers,

Cameron

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Ah something more like this then...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
alexhunter123711 wrote:Not a heavy rider, around 65kg's. I'm a bit hesitant to name the brand name of the old bike that failed until the issue is resolved, it failed while I was riding on a flat road, it would be easier if I could post pictures but basically the part of the fork that goes up through the frame to meet the handlebars literally snapped, came apart.
That's what George Hincappie said.

IME steerer tubes are pretty solid and don't 'just break'. Those that I have seen have usually been subjected to some kind of abnormal force, usually an 'assisted stop'.

Cheers,

Cameron
While generally true, there are occasional manufacturing defects which can cause a steerer tube to break in the absence of a crash.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/ ... e-concerns

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:36 pm

stem could have been overtightened, or star nut installed on a carbon steerer that dug in from the inside over time (although i'm told cannondale do this on their bikes - whether they use a special star nut, or have something on the inside to prevent this from happening i don't, but would like to know).

but if it was an alloy steerer, then yeah, that's not good.

jordan11

Postby jordan11 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:28 pm

It is very unlikely you will get a refund. Most of the time parts are repaired or replace.

DGuise

Postby DGuise » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:50 am

Google Consumer Law - on something like that you are entitled to your choice of repair or refund.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm

DGuise wrote:Google Consumer Law - on something like that you are entitled to your choice of repair or refund.
no, retailer has discretion on which.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm

battler2 wrote:
DGuise wrote:Google Consumer Law - on something like that you are entitled to your choice of repair or refund.
no, retailer has discretion on which.
It depends on whether the problem is minor or major.

When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for your choice of a replacement or refund.

If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund.

What is a major problem?
A product or good has a major problem when:
it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
it is unsafe
it is significantly different from the sample or description
it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/C ... ments.page