Best hybrid pedal (spd and flat base)

jakekg18

Postby jakekg18 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey guys I am looking on wiggle (re hybrid pedals <50 bucks ) and found some lifeline essential hybrid spd pedals for my Apollo mtb and I currently own some venzo spd shoes (shimano) . o also came across some shimano A530 pedals so was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these pedals and what may be better so to speak.
Cheers!

bychosis

Re: Best hybrid pedal (spd and flat base)

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:43 pm

I had some a539s for a while. I ended up on selling because I didn't think the flat side of the pedal had enough grip (and I didn't really use it much anyway). Back to m520 double sided for me. Road, fixie and mtb with one pair of shoes. One day I'll get another pair of shoes, but can't be bothered going somewhere to try some on.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:42 pm

bychosis wrote:I had some a539s for a while. I ended up on selling because I didn't think the flat side of the pedal had enough grip (and I didn't really use it much anyway). Back to m520 double sided for me. Road, fixie and mtb with one pair of shoes.
I had a similar experience with the A530 - the flat side is useless. In reality, I think the concept of dual sided pedals wasn't really right for me.

These days I have SPD for spin classes only and have moved on to Time ATAC (mountain and road bike) and flats (commuter/kiddy carrier).

E

tron07

Postby tron07 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:38 am

I bought the A530 from Wiggle as well as they are about 50% cheaper then other sellers at the moment, but still waiting for delivery. I want the flat side so I can ride to gym on my runners and its only about $38

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 pm

The a530 is great in theory and the platform has a really good profile and shape but as others have said, theyre very slippery. I still use mine and am reasonably happy with them but they do require a little extra care, especially in the wet.

In any case, non shimano (yet "compatible") spds always give me issues engaging and releasing. Id stick with proper shimano ones and avoid the yum cha brands.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 pm

use a flat file to dress the tops of the cast sprig bits...makes a hell of a difference to any flat pedal grip.

jandb

Postby jandb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I thought they were a good idea in theory so I bought some. In practice though I found them frustrating. Whenever I unclipped I found it hard to clip in without looking down to make sure the pedal was the right way up. Took them off after a month.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 am

I had the a530s on my cruiser. The flat side is very slippery and I almost always used the SPD shoes.
You could try the m324 pedals as these are a more traditional cage design.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

edsa

Postby edsa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:57 am

If you persist with it, its not so bad, been using the A530. After a while the pedals will always lie in a certain position, mine the cleats are always facing the rear wheel, to clip in its an easy toe nudge and slide in, I don't even think about it and can do it sitting or standing. Some might find it hard to clip in at first because its still tight on the bearings or too much grease and the pedals don't settle consistently in a particular position, same with any clipless pedals unless you use a dual sided clipless pedal or egg-beaters.

The difficult part is because you ride clipless, you will likely find that you will try to lift your legs during and/or slide your feet at the bottom of the pedal stroke giving that feeling of slipping or instability when riding without. Just have to be aware of this and pedal a bit differently as in a slow cruise and not race mode =P.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:53 pm

edsa wrote:If you persist with it, its not so bad, been using the A530. After a while the pedals will always lie in a certain position, mine the cleats are always facing the rear wheel, to clip in its an easy toe nudge and slide in, I don't even think about it and can do it sitting or standing. Some might find it hard to clip in at first because its still tight on the bearings or too much grease and the pedals don't settle consistently in a particular position, same with any clipless pedals unless you use a dual sided clipless pedal or egg-beaters.
I agree. While I found the concept of dual-sided pedals didn't suit me, I didn't find clipping in difficult at all - as above, you do it without thinking/looking.

Like others, I found the flat surface side to be too slippery to be of much use.

E

slaw

Postby slaw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 am

I've got XT T780 pedals. I have the same experience as edsa - no probs clipping in, don't often use them in ordinary shoes. If I use smooth soled work shoes, then yes they don't grip much, but runners are OK. Daughter has A530 and doesn't use SPD most of the time, but hasn't mentioned if they are slippery for her with runners. In the fleet somewhere, I've got some 323s I think which are a much older single sided pedal, and I don't think they were slippery. The T780 have the smoothest bearings as you'd expect for a more expensive pedal.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:04 am

If you want to try some A530s on the cheap, mine are for sale!

See them alongside a host of other bargains in my Garage Sale thread.

E