Wheel Choice: Shimano Dura Ace C24 vs Fulcrum Racing Zero

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am

I'm in the market for some new (nicer) wheels and it's pretty much down to a choice between these two. I'm looking to get a nicer ride that the Giant OEM wheels that came with my bike and while I'm no gun racer, and training of course brings the greatest gains, I'd like treat myself to some nicer kit :mrgreen:

I'd all but settled on the C24s, until I went into the LBS who unanimously supported the Fulcrums instead :| They are a big Fulcrum/Campy seller, but they are also very nice and helpful with all my stupid questions whenever I am in there so am more than happy to consider their advice. The mechanics at Giant Sydney also seem to rave a lot about Fulcrum wheels as do their sales staff.

They're both great wheel sets from what my research tells me and within $100-150 or so of each other, but I'm wondering if anyone may have had experience of both? Or perhaps any horror stories with either of them? :lol:

As for the vitals...

Bike: Giant TCR Advanced
Purpose: Training, gran fondos, *maybe* some racing in the future. I guess I'm after a better do-it-all wheel set. Aero not really a consideration obviously.
Types of rides: Sydney, so mixed surfaces, mostly undulating with short sharp hills. Would like to do some proper climbing down in Victoria/Southern NSW with them though as well, so I'd like some wheels with proper climbing credentials.
My weight: 76kg - should be a few kg less by the end of the summer

Thanks all
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

kb

Re: Wheel Choice: Shimano Dura Ace C24 vs Fulcrum Racing Zer

Postby kb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:15 pm

I was on Fulcrum 1s and really liked them but due to various mishaps have had to chase down a replacement wheel twice. Much harder to get separate front / rear if that matters.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I would probably go the Fulcrums simply beacuse they do not have spoke holes.

Before you buy the zeros I suggest you look at the differences between the zeros, the 1s and the 3s and decide whether you wish to pay an extra $700 to save 80 grams or have different bearings. I bought my son the 3s new for $500 and he trains and races on them and they have been faultless.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Derny Driver wrote:I would probably go the Fulcrums simply beacuse they do not have spoke holes.
Could you elaborate a little on this please? I am an ignoramus on some of these finer technical points :|

I really hate the white hubs on the Racing 3s, as silly as that sounds (my frame is all black). But yeah, it's a big price difference and I agree the weight alone is hardly worth it.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm

JdM wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:I would probably go the Fulcrums simply beacuse they do not have spoke holes.
Could you elaborate a little on this please? I am an ignoramus on some of these finer technical points :|

I really hate the white hubs on the Racing 3s, as silly as that sounds (my frame is all black). But yeah, it's a big price difference and I agree the weight alone is hardly worth it.
The U the tube sits in is sealed apart from the valve hole so no need for rim tape. It's a clean system. If you need to replace a spoke you use a magnet to draw the spoke nipple around to the right spot.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Ah I see. Thank you for that.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Spoke holes are a major cause of punctures. Without them you have no need for fiddly rim tape and you can pump your tyres up without worrying that they will blow out through a spoke hole at some stage.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:52 pm

campagnolo zonda 2-way fit are on wiggle now for 511.95, cheapest i've ever seen and i'm buying a 2nd set. you mention you mainly want them for training, and you don't race, so you sound like you're a lot like me. why bother forking out 1k+ for wheels when you can get quality such as these that will make little to no difference (and you can run tubeless, where ride quality is a major improvement). improve yourself first then think about carbon wheels for that speedy acceleration when you start racing. grab a set of swiss stop blue pads for better braking, and 5800/6800/DA9k brakes if you don't already have them for better modulation when braking.

FYI some fulcrum wheels are identical to some campy wheels just different stickers, and a higher price tag on the fulcrums.

and i've never had to replace a spoke on the zonda's that i didn't cause prior damage to (otherwise they are strong), and you're lighter than me.

but my advice is completely contrary to your desires, i'm just putting in the value for money angle. carbon wheels will impress you a lot more, so maybe start saving for some quality ones later on?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I currently own 2 x sets of R Zeros and LOVE them - they are light, solid and spin well on the CULT bearings. The R1s are almost as good, but do not roll quite as smoothly.

I haven't ridden C24s, but have heard good things.

Good wheelsets - toss a coin???? 8)

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:21 pm

The C24s are around 50g lighter and pretty much all of this difference will be in the rims, so they will accelerate faster. I have the C24s and they are fantastic. In either case, probably try to avoid the two-way fit models if you have no plan to run tubeless since it's harder to mount/remove regular tyres.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:40 pm

battler2 wrote:campagnolo zonda 2-way fit are on wiggle now for 511.95, cheapest i've ever seen and i'm buying a 2nd set. you mention you mainly want them for training, and you don't race, so you sound like you're a lot like me. why bother forking out 1k+ for wheels when you can get quality such as these that will make little to no difference (and you can run tubeless, where ride quality is a major improvement). improve yourself first then think about carbon wheels for that speedy acceleration when you start racing. grab a set of swiss stop blue pads for better braking, and 5800/6800/DA9k brakes if you don't already have them for better modulation when braking.
Yep, completely get what you're saying. I was even thinking the cheaper option would be just to go for the Fulcrum Racing 5s and then get something zippy later if I really need/want it. I think part of this is that I actually want to drop a bit of cash on the wheels though... That and if I don't spend that sort of money on an upgrade is it really worth upgrading my wheels at all? (Probably, I don't think the stock Giant wheels are that great lol...)

I've got Ultegra 6000 brakes, but I'll look into those pads. Cheers.
macca33 wrote:I currently own 2 x sets of R Zeros and LOVE them - they are light, solid and spin well on the CULT bearings. The R1s are almost as good, but do not roll quite as smoothly.
One thing I've been told/read in my research is that at my weight the Zeros might be a little too stiff and the C24s might give a more comfortable ride? Any thoughts on that?
biker jk wrote:The C24s are around 50g lighter and pretty much all of this difference will be in the rims, so they will accelerate faster. I have the C24s and they are fantastic. In either case, probably try to avoid the two-way fit models if you have no plan to run tubeless since it's harder to mount/remove regular tyres.
Yeah not interested in tubeless at the moment. The quicker acceleration is something I've seen said a lot about the C24s... Of course it makes stuff all difference if I'm not racing, but I do like to smash it off the line at traffic lights to get back up to speed again, especially if I'm mixing it up in Sydney traffic :D

Keep the opinions coming...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 pm

I have fulcrum zeros and campy zondas, I cant tell the difference ride wise but I'm a gorilla. The zondas have been more reliable for me and were much cheaper. I bought them new towards the end of 2013 for $387.

http://www.this link is broken/campagnolo-zonda- ... -wheelset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What groupset are you running? These are pretty light which would be ok for you:
http://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo- ... 76087.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mate of mine bought some of these and is really happy with them, bit heavier but aero and indestructible:
http://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-rac ... 58465.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm

^ I'm running Ultegra 6800.

It's sounding like with the Fulcrums the Zeros may be overkill if people can't tell the difference between Racing 3s / Zondas. Damn those while hubs on the R3s :(

I assume the Neutron Ultra is a Racing 1 equivalent?

I was considering the Racing Quattros a little while back and I had a look at the new LG model on Friday (23mm wide at brake track) and they look pretty nice. The upcoming all Carbon ones look pretty sweet too, but I digress... :D They're not much of a mountain goat wheel though are they? And I would like a wheel I could do some serious climbing on here and there.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm

I think the Eurus is equivalent to Racing 1s and Shamal to 0s. I'm saving for RS81s C35 just for a touch more depth. I don't think you think you need to worry about stiffness. I was very happy with the 1s at between 73 and 78kg, on a CAAD10. They also have more teeth in the freehub than my other wheels (Mavic Ksyrium Elites) which always felt recalcitrant for the first few minutes after switching as they took that fraction of a second longer to engage :-)

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Yeah cool ok.

Wiggle have the RS81 C35s for $661.53 at the moment! Do it! http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-wh-rs8 ... -wheelset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I can gather, the C35s (either Dura Ace or RS81) are basically a C24 with more weight - or are they actually more aero?

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Fulcrum Zero Nite looks the business.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:13 pm

They are rather pretty yes :D

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Both are great. I'd be going with the ones you can get the cheapest. Ridden only the 10 speed versions of both.

Shame you are Sydney. These would be a bargain if you can get a set for $800!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FULCRUM-RACI ... 2ee4115ab4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rodneycc on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 pm

If you want climbing wheels I've heard these are pretty good:
http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-24m ... bXcUXs_7MI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you could go full retard with tubulars:
http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-24m ... bular.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm

thecaptn wrote:you could go full retard with tubulars
:lol:

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 pm

JdM wrote:They are rather pretty yes :D
until the black anodized braking track wears back to silver. they say it won't happen but i don't believe them ;)

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Zeros...... for me.

Niiiice, ball and cup bearings, lovely wheels. :)

Campys are supposed to be the same as fulcrum, same company.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 am

My bike shop guy reckons that conventional road wheels will become dirt cheap once road disc takes off. IMHO I think road disc is a dumb idea but that's not to say they won't be popular with the nuffies.

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am

thecaptn wrote: IMHO I think road disc is a dumb idea but that's not to say they won't be popular with the nuffies.
Road disc doesn't offer a lot if you only ride in the dry on flat roads.

Plenty of us ride every day in crappy weather and in hilly terrain. In this environment, discs are gold. Bring them on.

For the OP - I can't speak highly enough of Fulcrum wheels. I have gradually switched all of my road and MTB's to Fulcrum because I have been so pleased with them.

They have had an absolute hiding, particularly on my road commuter (Quattros) and the MTB (Red Metal 1) and just keep soldiering on with ZERO maintenance.

JdM

Postby JdM » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 am

Thanks for all the responses people. As always, heaps of food for thought here.

Although I think I may have completely changed my mind as to what I am going to do again :lol: :| :roll:
thecaptn wrote:My bike shop guy reckons that conventional road wheels will become dirt cheap once road disc takes off. IMHO I think road disc is a dumb idea but that's not to say they won't be popular with the nuffies.
I got my bike almost a year ago and it didn't even cross my mind to look at discs, although I was looking for a racing orientated bike, so that's probably why. But a lot of my mates are all talking about how their next bike will be disc brakes etc, etc. So many of the 'endurance' fit bikes all switching to discs (like the Giant Defy, which is all discs now I think, regardless of model) might force the issue a little as well.
herzog wrote:For the OP - I can't speak highly enough of Fulcrum wheels. I have gradually switched all of my road and MTB's to Fulcrum because I have been so pleased with them.

They have had an absolute hiding, particularly on my road commuter (Quattros) and the MTB (Red Metal 1) and just keep soldiering on with ZERO maintenance.
Seems to be the consensus on the Quattros that they'd probably survive a nuclear winter. Having seen the new 23mm wide ones in my LBS I agree they are a nice looking wheel.