Wheel Choice: Shimano Dura Ace C24 vs Fulcrum Racing Zero

nez1976

Re: Wheel Choice: Shimano Dura Ace C24 vs Fulcrum Racing Zer

Postby nez1976 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 pm

I did 2800 kms on my rs81 C35s - including Amy's Gran Fond and ATB 210km. They're a solid wheelset. I then switched to dura ace C24s and sold the C35s. The dura ace hub is much better than the ultegra spec RS81 hub and the reduced weight means I can feel them spin up faster. Are the C35s more aero? Perhaps a little but I spend so little time above 35 kph that it didn't make a difference. I love my c24s and the upgrade from the C35s was worth it.

oh, and hi Karl! It's me, Guy.

edit - I better qualify the comment re the da hub vs the ultegra hub. It freewheels a lot more and make a more satisfying hum. For a lazy sod like me that's a big tick.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 am

thecaptn wrote:My bike shop guy reckons that conventional road wheels will become dirt cheap once road disc takes off. IMHO I think road disc is a dumb idea but that's not to say they won't be popular with the nuffies.
I suppose the disc brakes being a dumb idea is for another thread, but I will say that the problem is that no old stuff will be compatible.
Brakes are different
Spoking will be different
Wheels will be different
Frames will be different
Axles may be different
Dishing will be different.

So what does this mean to a cyclist, is all his old stuff needs to be modified or thrown in the bin. This I believe will slow the change, it just becomes expense to change over. Also the disc bikes are appearing to be heavier. Roadies don't like weight.

Disc brakes have there pluses and give great modulation, but for this extra feel are riders willing to throw the whole old bike in the bin?

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am

softy wrote:
So what does this mean to a cyclist, is all his old stuff needs to be modified or thrown in the bin.
It doesn't mean that at all. It simply means that when many of us buy our next bike it will be designed for, and fitted with hydraulic disc brakes.
It doesn't follow that we then need to throw all of our other bikes in the bin. That makes no sense.

When ABS started arriving in new cars 20 years ago, did everyone have to throw their old cars in the bin? No, it just meant that the next time the bought a car, it was very likely to be equipped with ABS.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

herzog wrote:
softy wrote:
So what does this mean to a cyclist, is all his old stuff needs to be modified or thrown in the bin.
It doesn't mean that at all. It simply means that when many of us buy our next bike it will be designed for, and fitted with hydraulic disc brakes.
It doesn't follow that we then need to throw all of our other bikes in the bin. That makes no sense.

When ABS started arriving in new cars 20 years ago, did everyone have to throw their old cars in the bin? No, it just meant that the next time the bought a car, it was very likely to be equipped with ABS.
Correct and the resale value of non-ABS equipped cars fell sharply.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Not everyone buys a whole new bike,

Many like to have training wheels, racing wheels etc. I like to carry my top end wheels to my new bike (as many bike manufactures fit cheap wheels).

So it is a bigger step.
It could mean a significant outlay, you buy the new bike, latest and greatest, 10k, then some training wheels, another 1k, racing wheels 3k+, plus new seat, drinkholder and all the other little bits and pieces. 15k plus is not unrealistic!

Okay you say, you may not buy the top groupo, but a new bike with ultegra is stil 3 to 4k. Then you need wheels, as your old favourites don't fit, I suppose you could use the factory wheels as trainers but most I know want a high end ally wheel like campy, mavic or fulcrum to daily on.

So I suppose it depends at what price point bike you like to ride.

Remember, none of your old bikes can interchange gear, so it is like starting your collection again.

If your bikes are cheapies I suppose it doesn't matter.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Interesting conversation. Perhaps worthy of a thread. I own a 2013 SL4 Spec Roubaix. I plan to get a new bike in 1-2 years (another 15k approx) and I will keep it as the roughie so to speak. I have a 2 sets of wheels (Zondas and C24) so will run them through but I just won't massively expend on the bike between now and its 'Retirement' as the main bike. I look fwd to having discs on the roadie as it is just awesome how fast the recently purchased Mtn bike stops.

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:08 pm

to the op,
set a budget and buy the ones you like the look of. you can't buy a bad wheelset for your budget ( only the wrong wheel for purpose).
I wouldnt get too hung up on weight given your described riding ( like mine). I've just gone from RS80's to 105/open Pro and the cheaper wheelset seems better!
What you DONT want is a wheel with a very low spoke count and hard to get parts.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 pm

softy wrote:Not everyone buys a whole new bike,

Many like to have training wheels, racing wheels etc. I like to carry my top end wheels to my new bike (as many bike manufactures fit cheap wheels).

So it is a bigger step.
It could mean a significant outlay, you buy the new bike, latest and greatest, 10k, then some training wheels, another 1k, racing wheels 3k+, plus new seat, drinkholder and all the other little bits and pieces. 15k plus is not unrealistic!

Okay you say, you may not buy the top groupo, but a new bike with ultegra is stil 3 to 4k. Then you need wheels, as your old favourites don't fit, I suppose you could use the factory wheels as trainers but most I know want a high end ally wheel like campy, mavic or fulcrum to daily on.

So I suppose it depends at what price point bike you like to ride.

Remember, none of your old bikes can interchange gear, so it is like starting your collection again.

If your bikes are cheapies I suppose it doesn't matter.
Yeah, and the component manufacturers are aware of this. They're not going to suddenly shut the doors on rim-brake components; they will remain available alongside disc-brake counterparts for a long time to come.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Its always good to know you have the lightest wheel that you can afford to pay :)
If only choosing between Zero and DA c24, go with C24. Rims are lighter: this will mean you can't have excuses to climb faster anymore :)
Btw, I am currently using shamal aka zeros in my courier bike with panniers at the moment and I love em :)

GJM

Postby GJM » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Just to confuse you further.

http://xlr8wheels.com.au/campbells-chal ... ht-wheels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weight is a consideration if you're going to get into serious climbing but it's not the only consideration. The fastest wheels uphill are not necessarily the lightest; indeed they're often not.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of really useful contributions in here.

After all of this I actually got neither wheel set - Instead I decided to go for a pair of RS81 C24s for about half the price of the Dura Ace ones - $560 from Wiggle.

I know the hubs aren't quite as good, but the rims I gather the rims are the same (only 100g more for the whole wheel set) and as a number of people rightly pointed out in the absence of me racing at the pointy end (or at all for the moment), a quality $500ish wheel set is going be more than enough to keep me happy and upgraded from my stock Giant wheels.

I also got some Vittoria Open Corsa SC tyres to try out with them, along with an 11-28 cassette and some blue Swissstop brake pads. It's all going off to my mechanic to be installed as part of a much needed service.

I'll be back in a year or so to pester you all about which deep section $3,000 carbon wheels I should buy :roll: :mrgreen:
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

gcycler

Postby gcycler » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:21 pm

great info guys, i did my research and decided on the fulcrum racing zero nite, they look sleek and by all reports are good all round wheels.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Just make sure you use the right pads with those Nites. Seen lots of cases with nasty scraped up brake tracks using the wrong pads.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

gcycler

Postby gcycler » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 am

ah yeah, i believe they come with, not sure the cost of replacing them is though.