Powertap P1 Power Meter

ft_critical

Re: Powertap P1 Power Meter

Postby ft_critical » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
ft_critical wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:Do you mean $1550?
correct, apologies. Now due early Nov and ....
Clear customs? I thought pushys was a local seller. There is no extra import tax on that is there?
Yes, clearing customs, slowly. There is a distributor in the picture before Pushy's. There are probably taxes but they are built into the price to me the consumer, so not transparent to me.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:04 pm

OK cool. Keep us posted. Can't blame pushy's too much as there is a global shortage.

Knoxis

Postby Knoxis » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Keen on getting a pair, but mighty pricey...

scho047

Postby scho047 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 am

Wiggles.com.au has it for less actually....however most likely to have GST added on as it clears at the customs..... Anyone actually have it here with the new firmware that has been released couple of weeks ago and would care to provide some feedback as to how it is - re: random spikes/Garmin clashes etc which has supposedly been affecting few people on a rare occasion...... would be good! cheers

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Anyone with feedback on new firmware?

Six13

Postby Six13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Compatibility with the Garmin 520?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Arrived. One ride.
Installation - ridiculously easy. They work.
I found the pedal balance was tricky coming from SPD, the weight of the pedal with the battery meant it wasn't easy to clip in. Probably with practice I will get used to it.
Proprietary cleats are probably an issue, planning on getting cleat covers.

No issues with data on the old Garmin 500. My pedal balance is pretty good I discovered.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Good to hear! What have you been using before to compare it to?

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:46 am

I ordered mine a couple nights ago from pushys with $90 off sale...no word when they will arrive though. I'll also be switching over from spd's

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 am

Xplora wrote:Good to hear! What have you been using before to compare it to?
Power newbie X. Though my plan today is to record my power on the home trainer in 0.5kmh increments to build a power to speed curve. I have four years of speed data and benchmark testing on that trainer (religiously same setup on the trainer, all measurements taken post trainer warmup period).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Given the quality of your data (4 years! nice) it would be worth trying to do some comparisons with a Computrainer/Kickr/SRM/Powertap just to see if there are any variances. Ultimately, your data is your data, and internal consistency is important, but it seems like the scientific approach gets thrown out the door as people start comparing watts when there is no guarantee the numbers are legit.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Xplora wrote:as people start comparing watts
I was only planning on sharing my watts with someone who can give me advice, not on the forum. Also to use them to train right based on advice.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:11 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Xplora wrote:as people start comparing watts
I was only planning on sharing my watts with someone who can give me advice, not on the forum. Also to use them to train right based on advice.
I don't think he was asking you to 'share your watts' with him, but to compare the consistency between this powermeter and others.

Once I get mine I'll compare with the Kickr. Should be interesting as many do report that the Kickr reads high. Of course there is no way of knowing which PM is 'correct'.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:15 pm

X has a lot of mates who have a lot to say about power and are using Stages and Vector S (single side) PMs... if it's just being shared with a coach, no harm whatsoever. My experience has been slightly different lol

I really gotta book a calibration with Alex Simmons though, something chronic... I think I'm reading low, and it's fun to join in the dick contest occasionally, despite the scientific risks involved :lol:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:10 pm

So been using them a bit. They have now been on all three bikes and I reconfirm it is a doddle to change. For the two bikes that have carbon cranks there is a washer supplied for each pedal - don't loose them.
The proprietary cleats are an issue in my opinion; they are slippery and fragile. I ordered some Look cleat covers, but the other problem is that there isn't a lot of suppliers for replacements. I also don't really like the feel of them security-wise, so I dialed them up to maximum tension.
The pedals are bulky underneath, I clipped the pedal in this weekend's Crit as I knew I would. I still have trouble clipping in compared to Shimano.
When ever you start using them they do a calibration, for some reason they struggle to calibrate one of my bikes. I recommend allowing an extra 2 min before each ride for this step.
But as you can see none of these are a significant complaint and there are no other issues, that is my complete list.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks ft. Can you comment on how they are durability wise? Did they suffer much damage from clipping the pedal? Also did you have any power spikes?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Unlike ft I have been using Look Keo pedals for a while, so no issues clipping in

I don't find the cleats slippy and fragile(again been using Keo's for a while)

PT Cleats are Wellgo RC7, they are identical (except Wellgos have their name on them) both are marked RC7 and are $10 a pair from Torpedo7

Only ground the pedals once (and that was on a commute) done a few races, road and crits without any issues.

When I grounded the pedal, just lost a little metal.

Upgraded the firmware (that is a pain if you do not own a modern ipad or iphone)

No power spikes since firmware upgrade.

My one issue is I get an error message everytime I start my garmins (tried in on two different ones) I get "power meter software mismatch". After speaking to Saris they believe the two pedals have different versions of firmware and need to go back to them. The pedals appear to work fine, match the output on my G3 (+3% for hard rider, 5 to 7% for an easy ride), so I will get them fixed next year.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:49 pm

nickobec wrote:
My one issue is I get an error message everytime I start my garmins (tried in on two different ones) I get "power meter software mismatch". After speaking to Saris they believe the two pedals have different versions of firmware and need to go back to them. The pedals appear to work fine, match the output on my G3 (+3% for hard rider, 5 to 7% for an easy ride), so I will get them fixed next year.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've read about this issue and it's because you need to update the firmware on each pedal separately. You shouldn't need to return it. Just repeat the iphone update process you've already done, on the other pedal.

It's weird that you are seeing the power mismatch greater as a % at higher poweroutputs. I'd expect the p1's to read a bit higher than the G3 as it's closer to the where the power is being delivered but you'd think it should be consistently different.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:It's weird that you are seeing the power mismatch greater as a % at higher poweroutputs. I'd expect the p1's to read a bit higher than the G3 as it's closer to the where the power is being delivered but you'd think it should be consistently different.
The P1 does read higher than the G3 or Elite+

On a cruisy ride the P1 average is maybe 8 to 10 watts higher (5 to 7%) than the G3 or Elite+

In a race the P1 average is 6 to 8 watts (3%) higher than the G3

Looking at it as watts it is pretty similar

Thanks for the tip, will try updating both pedals independently, next time I get my hands on an iPad

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Check how power is handled by each meter when starting and stopping pedalling. In some cases in races with lots of this it can result in quite a substantial difference in reported power.

It could also be one has an incorrect slope calibration.

Finally, drivetrain and/or freehub may not be a good as you think, worth checking.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Newbie to power meters here, okay i have heard the hype, biggest upgrade you can do to your bike!

Well they are an expensive bit of kit, i have a garmin 810, so the vector s would be the obvious choice + i have campag compact crank (don't know if the stages will fit). Nice to see powertap offerring a pedal competitor.

Any long term users advice of powermeters?
It is said watts, is the best indicator to develop your fitness and endurance?

What are everyones thoughts who have been using them?

Cheers

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 pm

softy wrote:Any long term users advice of powermeters?
As I always say. First buy Training and Racing with a powermeter. If it makes sense and you haven't been put off by the thought of structured training then I'd say buy a PM.

Otherwise it will just be an expensive bike computer...

DCRainmaker and Alex Simmons both have a good overview of the available units.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:49 am

softy wrote:Newbie to power meters here, okay i have heard the hype, biggest upgrade you can do to your bike!

Well they are an expensive bit of kit, i have a garmin 810, so the vector s would be the obvious choice + i have campag compact crank (don't know if the stages will fit). Nice to see powertap offerring a pedal competitor.

Any long term users advice of powermeters?
It is said watts, is the best indicator to develop your fitness and endurance?

What are everyones thoughts who have been using them?

Cheers
"Powermeters are a tool, not a bolt on motor." - Chris Mayhew

Like all tools, they vary in quality and what you can do with them depends on the skill, knowledge and experience of the user.

JdM

Postby JdM » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:31 am

dalai47 wrote:As I always say. First buy Training and Racing with a powermeter. If it makes sense and you haven't been put off by the thought of structured training then I'd say buy a PM.
This.

Friel's Power Meter Handbook for Cyclists and Triathletes is also a good alternative if the above title is a little dense to start with.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:28 pm

^^^ Friel's PM book absolutely requires you to read the Cyclist Training Bible first to really appreciate what he's talking about. Friel's approach to periodisation and training is the basis of his PM book. I read his PM book first and it's kind of helpful, but needs the CTB as well. The Coggan/Hunter book is a standalone, but they don't really get into the programming particularly well. Read all 3, at least you can see they all have different angles, and then you can see how to train without a power meter as well, which is arguably more important than working out how to use your PM.