Powertap P1 Power Meter

jasonc

Re: Powertap P1 Power Meter

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:58 am

nickobec wrote:I love the P1 pedals, but next time after riding in the pouring raining, pull my batteries out, see if damp and bung the pedals into bag of rice if damp.
so no better than stages...water ingress

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 am

nickobec wrote: Next ride right pedal was dropping in and out. Got home found flat battery (only 3 weeks old, normal life 8 weeks). Thought the battery was a little damp, but it was late at night. Next battery in right pedal survived two rides, then flat, replaced and noticed both red and green led on, no reading from pedals, could not calibrate.
Pretty much identical to mine, as I noticed a damp battery also.
This didn't kill it but, it was the firmware update that was the nail in the coffin.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 am

jasonc wrote: so no better than stages...water ingress
Unfortunately, it appears so.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Rex wrote:
jasonc wrote: so no better than stages...water ingress
Unfortunately, it appears so.
so like stages, except double sided, sometimes. interesting to know. ta

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 pm

I plan to not ride them in the rain anymore. Lucky I kept a set of spd pedals and cleats.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:50 pm

It was not any rain, it was 20 minutes of moderate rain, followed by 15 minutes of brutally heavy rain, the road was covered by a blanket of water, like riding through a shallow puddle for 15 minutes, not something I would like to repeat, particularly as the last part was a 5km descent at 5%

Not something I would call normal riding conditions.

If the P1s were susceptible to water ingress, I would of expected to lose both in those conditions.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:55 am

Yeah Nick, that is the problem, unexpected rain. Electrical tape then

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:55 am

nickobec wrote:Not something I would call normal riding conditions.
sounds normal for Brisbane summer....

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:59 am

nickobec wrote:
Rex wrote:Have you used non-lithium batteries at all?
Yes cheap no name alkaline batteries, while waiting for deliveries of my lithium batteries.
Where's the best place to buy lithium batteries? They definitely do hold charge a lot better. But they are so expensive from supermarkets!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Bluejay87 wrote: Where's the best place to buy lithium batteries? They definitely do hold charge a lot better. But they are so expensive from supermarkets!
I was using Kogan AAA lithium batteries, but they are no longer in stock and I have none left

My local Woolies had some unknown brand Camelion at $8 for 4, so bought a pack of them to try

About to experiment with some rechargeables, the high end Energizers to see what they can do.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:02 pm

I have already had one set of the original Vectors replaced under warranty , and which were still unreliable so I ended up parting company with them. I want dual leg as I had a bout of DVTs and being able to monitor strength improvement is my main reason for going dual leg power, and I want to quickly swap between two bikes running different axles and gruppos. So really that leaves P1s.

Just enquired as to buying a set of these from my LBS, they suggested I steer away from them as Monza Imports are no longer the distributor , and there is no local distributor now.

I spoke to a lady at Pushys who confirmed that Monzas are no longer the distributor, as for warranty she said that it was unclear if that was to be dealt with by Monza or Pushys direct. Pushys have them at $1399 currently so it makes the pricing attractive. Just the potential of warranty issues makes me nervous, that said return rate seems to be 2-3% based on comments on DCRainmaker.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 pm

I have just dealt with Pushys regarding warranty with the P1's (resolved this week) and there was no problem, Pushys were great.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Rex wrote:I have just dealt with Pushys regarding warranty with the P1's (resolved this week) and there was no problem, Pushys were great.
Thanks Rex. I will pull the trigger, they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Ordered Friday night, got em Wednesday morning. Already updated to latest firmware. just stuck em on and paired. reliable numbers coming out. Gotta luv that.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Phil wrote:reliable numbers coming out.
Comparing to what?

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Phil wrote:Ordered Friday night, got em Wednesday morning. Already updated to latest firmware. just stuck em on and paired. reliable numbers coming out. Gotta luv that.
Great to hear.
A word of advice, when your batteries need replacing after about 60 hours, stick with Lithium's as per Powertap recommendations. Don't go cheap with Alkaline/rechargeables.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Phil wrote:reliable numbers coming out.
Comparing to what?
The numbers off my Tacx Trainer and a G3 wheel I had borrowed previously.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Rex wrote:
Phil wrote:Ordered Friday night, got em Wednesday morning. Already updated to latest firmware. just stuck em on and paired. reliable numbers coming out. Gotta luv that.
Great to hear.
A word of advice, when your batteries need replacing after about 60 hours, stick with Lithium's as per Powertap recommendations. Don't go cheap with Alkaline/rechargeables.
Yeah I have 2 x 10 packs of Lithium batteries on order from Kogan, but they are not due for dispatch until the first week in November.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:03 am

Anyone know how to figure out the battery level with the updated iOS app now?

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Have you updated to IOS10? That aint playing nice with the Powertap or Garmins or the carkit. Appears that the Bluetooth is a bit borked, as they all worked before on the previous IOS.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:41 am

Phil wrote:Have you updated to IOS10? That aint playing nice with the Powertap or Garmins or the carkit. Appears that the Bluetooth is a bit borked, as they all worked before on the previous IOS.
I haven't come across any issues with my devices but did notice this in the changes section for 10.1.1 this morning
Apple wrote:Other improvements and fixes
•Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:36 pm

kb wrote:
Phil wrote:Have you updated to IOS10? That aint playing nice with the Powertap or Garmins or the carkit. Appears that the Bluetooth is a bit borked, as they all worked before on the previous IOS.
I haven't come across any issues with my devices but did notice this in the changes section for 10.1.1 this morning
Apple wrote:Other improvements and fixes
•Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
Thanks for the heads up, downloading the update now. If the carkit works hopefully it will play nice with the Garmins and P1s as well.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:16 am

IOS upgrade fixed all issues.

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:40 pm

3000km in mine developed significant play (approx 0.5mm) in both pedal spindles and were sent back. There are numerous other reports of these issues across the net. After waiting 3 weeks for replacements I rang to check status and got told at least another 3 weeks. I demanded a refund and am done with them.

Darren S

Postby Darren S » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 am

Hi guys, just thought I'd share my experience with my P1s so far. Purchased in Feb 2016 from Bikebug, installed, paired and rode .....they just worked. Awesome!
Swapped between bikes for about 6 months/7,000km, did a battery change, and the right pedal displayed both LEDs permanently. Bricked. Wouldn't pair, no ANT+ transmission (I have an ANT+ dongle on the computer which wasn't picking it up), no Bluetooth, no nothing. Sent back to Bikebug who organised a replacement pair under warranty.
Second pair.....worked for about 6 or so months, then the right pedal stopped reading any power data. ANT+/Bluetooth connectivity is fine, batteries are brand new, just zero data. Green LED flashing as normal, but power balance is 100:0, with the only power appearing being from my left leg (ie near enough to half of what it should be).
Spoke direct to Saris, who said that I should source a set of the "new" battery caps, which should fix the issue. I don't see this as appropriate....if the product is faulty and under warranty, I shouldn't have to buy something to possibly provide a fix! Also spoke to Bikebug, who no longer stock Powertap products....they said they would be happy to help me, but also said I could speak direct to Pushys, who are the distributor now (Bikebug had already contacted Pushys, and confirmed I could deal directly with them for the warranty process). I will be sending the pedals back this week...I think I will also be asking for a refund instead of a replacement pair. Unfortunately, after 2 pairs have died each after 6 months of use, I have very little faith in what started out as a great product.