which wheels from my list?

Jshot

Postby Jshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Ok so im looking at buying a second-hand wheelset. All of the following are listed to be in excellent condition are between 300-400. I don't know how much they were originally or how they compare to eacher other so any help would be much appreciated.

Zondas

mavic ksyrium elite

shimano rs81 C24

soul s20

Bontrager X-lite - this might be a dumb question but these say 26". I that the same as 700c?

So that's my list at the moment and I want to buy this week. If it is a campy freehub will that work with shimano running gear if I use a campy cassette. This wont bother me as I need a new one. My bike is also a 9 speed and most of these rims say they are 11. Can I space the cassette out or do I need to keep looking for one that says 9 speed?

coffeeandwine

Re: which wheels from my list?

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Jshot, you will get lots of help here.

To help people give decent advice-first a few questions: what do you want the wheels to do? Are they for commuting, training, racing??? Are they for climbing big hills, or need to be fast and aero; are you a featherweight climber or a more robust frame? What are your thoughts about the wheels they are replacing?

Just to clarify, your bike runs shimano gear but at least one of the wheels have a Campagnolo freehub?
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Jshot wrote: Bontrager X-lite - this might be a dumb question but these say 26". I that the same as 700c?
No, 26" is smaller; it's a mountain bike size.
If it is a campy freehub will that work with shimano running gear if I use a campy cassette. This wont bother me as I need a new one. My bike is also a 9 speed and most of these rims say they are 11. Can I space the cassette out or do I need to keep looking for one that says 9 speed?
Campag freehubs use a different spline pattern to Shimano, which limits you to Campag cassettes. 9-sp. sprocket spacing is pretty close - but not exactly the same - between the two so it can be made to work but it's not perfect. 11-sp. hubs can be spaced to take 8/9/10-sp. cassettes; they should be supplied with the necessary spacer (but not Campag-type hubs; due to their 9 & 10-sp. cassettes being wider than Shimano equivalents it is possible to fit 11-sp to the same hub).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Jshot

Postby Jshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Ah ok. So road wheels don't come in a 26"?

I'm 175cm and weigh 78kg so don't need super strong wheels. They aren't going on a commuter so looking at something for weekend warrior pace. Not for climbing hills but not looking for a triathlon aero rim either.

I think I'll stick to shimano hubs for ease of transition.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 pm

26" road wheels are extraordinarily rare.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Jshot wrote:Ah ok. So road wheels don't come in a 26"?

I'm 175cm and weigh 78kg so don't need super strong wheels. They aren't going on a commuter so looking at something for weekend warrior pace. Not for climbing hills but not looking for a triathlon aero rim either.

I think I'll stick to shimano hubs for ease of transition.

why the hell buy used wheels?

the wheelset below has had years of kudos on this forum.
forget used big brand names. used is a totally unknown commodity. wheels are disposables... always best to buy new unless you really REALLY know the history of the wheelset.

just buy this
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... elset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and get the associated warranty.

remember used wheelsets don't come with warranty.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Zondas are only $400 new, I wouldn't bother paying $300 for a second hand set.

Jshot

Postby Jshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Guess I need to save some more then. I was only looking secondhand so I could hopefully get away with the whole package (wheels, tyres and maybe even a new cassette) for $400.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Something like the Fulcrum Quattro or it's brother the Campagnolo Scirocco 35 would be worth consideration, I have the Sciroccos and have been very happy with them. Both wheelsets look pretty neat too.

http://www.this link is broken.au/fulcrum-racing ... et/#images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.this link is broken.au/campagnolo-sci ... -wheelset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

SB

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 pm

I would suggest zonda. I think this wheelset is the best value for money.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:51 am

Definitely go the Zondas or the Fulcrum equivalent. They both can be had with Shimano freehubs. You can get this wheel and tyre package from Ribble delivered for $466 - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The crap Ausssie dollar hasn't helped with prices lately.

Aussie site Bikebug has Zondas cheap too - http://www.bikebug.com/m/product_info.p ... ts_id=4583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:20 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Definitely go the Zondas or the Fulcrum equivalent. They both can be had with Shimano freehubs. You can get this wheel and tyre package from Ribble delivered for $466 - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually, it's an extra $50 for wheel delivery at Ribble.

Bikebug has a very cheap price for Aus stock though.

idler

Postby idler » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:33 am

Definitely Zondas (or Fulrum Racing 3 which is basically the same wheel with slightLy different spoke pattern) - whatever wheels you get just make sure the shimano freehub will take a shimano 9 speed cassette though. I think most Campagnolo manufactured Shimano compatible freehubs will take 9/10/11 spd cassettes - I believe some Shimano manufactured freehubs will not work over this entire range (btw Campag 9 spd cassette will not work efficiently).

I have a set of Zondas around 4 years old and never had a problem with them - never gone out of true.

Bikebug appear to be amongst the cheapest at the moment.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:01 pm

I second the recommendation for Pro-Lite. Deon is excellent to deal with.

Try these: band new for $300. Edit: *under* $300 shipped.
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... elset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm 78kg and have been using the Bracciano A27's for commuting for a couple of years now, and have put over 7,000 kilometres on them over Sydney's potholey roads. Brake track is hardly worn. Still true.

The Meranos will be stronger.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am

Jshot wrote:shimano rs81 C24
Just got a set. So far so good. Roll nicely enough and accelerate well.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1