Adivce sought on buying a commuter

queequeg

Re: Adivce sought on buying a commuter

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:02 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:
jasonc wrote:do you really need a rack? I ride with a backpack and have for 5 years now
I don't know if I need a rack. On a 35+ degree day pushing against a hot easterly I'd rather not be encumbered by a backpack, but I guess I can try it and add one if I need to.
I got a rack and never looked back. Waterproof panniers, most days I just pack one of them, but if I have extra stuff I can carry both.
It is so much more comfortable without the backpack, and the panniers don't slow me down at all.

My gearing is 46/38 with an 12-32 Cassette. I used to run 50/34 but found the 34 too low and the front shifting was awful. With a 46/38 up the front, I spend most of my time in the middle of the cassette and get much more even use. On the motorway shoulder I am in 46-12 and doing a comfortable 55km/h. I don't need anything more on the commuter bike.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:49 pm

DavidS wrote:Still, have a ride around and see what you like. The clincher for me was getting geometry which suited me so handlebar to saddle distance and the like was my main consideration.

DS
Yes, comfort will be the main consideration for me as well. I'm hoping to get to one or two shops with sales tomorrow, so will see what transpires. Not in a hurry to make a decision but have to keep the ministry of finance happy as well.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 am

Dr has said no riding until cleared by the neurologist. Nuts. Gives me more time for research I guess. Do bike shops tend to do Christmas specials on 'serious' bikes?

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:05 pm

These Merida's may be an option: Model/ Speeder 200- Sora components Depending on your budget. Flat-bar road bikes.
Speeder 300-Tiagra
Speeder 3000-Tiagra
Speeder 500- Ultegra!!
I know Merida had some trouble (recall) with forks on Espresso models a while back, but no problemo on Speeder models.
Another thing, try to find out the magic number for each and every bike that you consider: WEIGHT. Manufacturers are reluctant these days to reveal weights...lighter= better. IMO.
Taking that into consideration, I would tend to steer away from hub gear bikes (IMO...) for extra weight/ yes- lower maintenance is a + with internal hub gear set-up, but there is a weight penalty.
Am feeling extra lazy so no prices/dealers etc.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Rack-mounts too!
Save your connective tissue/vertebrae from turning to chalk!
I am well sick of using backpacks and when I have carried too much (food shopping etc.) on my back, pain reminds me for days....
Tioga makes fairly good/cheap panniers....amongst other bits and pieces..

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:48 am

carcharias wrote:Taking that into consideration, I would tend to steer away from hub gear bikes (IMO...) for extra weight/ yes- lower maintenance is a + with internal hub gear set-up, but there is a weight penalty.
Weight is essentially irrelevant for a flat commute, especially if you'll be carrying a few kilos of luggage in backpack/panniers. There's about a 5 kilo weight difference between my touring bike and road bike (in practice more, because when I take the tourer I tend to stuff a pannier full of "just in case" stuff). Commute takes the same time on both, although the tourer is noticeably slower to accelerate from a stop. What does make a difference is having good-quality tyres and a relatively aerodynamic position - doesn't have to be a full-on racing position, but on a really upright bike you struggle into the slightest headwind.

@AlexHuggs, since you're in Perth, you'll probably encounter strong winds regularly, and if you're unlucky, you'll be battling easterlies every morning and westerlies every afternoon. Have you considered a bike with drop bars? i.e. road bike, cyclocross bike or touring bike. You can usually set one up so that the normal riding position (on the brake hoods) is geared towards comfort, whereas moving your hands onto the drops (the lower part of the bar) gives you a more aerodynamic position that will gain you a few km/h into a headwind.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice. I went bike shopping today and pulled the trigger. I tried about 5 different models/sizes at a shop in another suburb (since I was there for other reasons and the shop there had a much bigger range than my LBS) and found one that felt good (an Avanti Inc 1 - really wanted an Inc 2 or 3 but no one has them in my size), but decided to wait. Thought I'd have another look at the Lync 3 in my LBS to compare and it was the most comfortable ride of the lot by a long shot - I actually didn't want to get off! I know it has a few disadvantages - MTB gears (seems some debate if that's an actual disadvantage), and headwinds will be an issue as it's quite upright, but I'm sure I can work around the wind issue - it was just too comfortable to pass up. Pick it up later in the week. Can't wait!

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:headwinds will be an issue as it's quite upright, but I'm sure I can work around the wind issue - it was just too comfortable to pass up.
:thumbsup: The Lync looks like a nice bike and highly practical. Now go out and ride it!

If (after riding it for a bit) you want it to be less upright, you can flip the stem, which will lower the bars by a few cm. If you want more, you can move some or all of the spacers from under them stem to above the stem. A rule of thumb is that handlebars roughly level with the saddle is a good compromise between aerodynamics and comfort, but obviously the more important thing is to get your bike set up so it feels good for you.

The other thing you can do with flat bars is to fit bar ends facing forward from the end of the bars. This gives you a couple of extra hand positions for long rides, and holding the end of the bar ends will stretch you out more and get you lower down.