Trek Stache 6/8 Alternatives?

cascade

Trek Stache 6/8 Alternatives?

Postby cascade » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:53 pm

I've been looking round for a new mountain bike for a while now due to various issues with my current bike. I recently had a go with a random persons trek stache 6, and loved it. However, it appears that trek australia didnt bother bringing in any of the 2014 models, and I cannot seem to find any 'old stock' sache 6/8 apart from a 'small' model, that really isnt going to work with someone my height.

Which is a pity, the stache (older non '29+' versions) appear to tick all the boxes I want....15mm front, 142x12 rear, slack head angles, etc. Though I'd perfer single ring, I can live with taking off the front shifter. I'd be fine with either a 29er or a 27.5/650B, they both have good and bad points and its not a huge difference anyway.

My intented use is as a single bike to do it all- some farily short commuting (12KM or less) and general street trashing, and some trail use.

Basicly I ride my curent 2006 norco bigfoot like its a glorified BMX. I like jumping kerbs, doing some dropoffs (1 metre or less), etc. on the commute home.

I have found other bikes that I like the look and specs on, e.g. kona honzo. However I cant find one of them in large/xlarge, and anyway the nearest kona dealer is a fair way away in curumbin, and I live in brisbane. Transition Trams-Am looks good as well, but at full retail ($3700) its above my budget. I wish that they imported the Jamis Dragon Pro but typically thats not imported either. Thanks on that guys.

Though I should say that the person I spoke to at Jamis importers (adventurebrands) was actaully far more helpful that almost any of the local bike shops I've tried..most of them just glaze over or go 'Say What is that' when I say I'd rather have a trail hardtail, not a XC hardtail or XC dual suspension bike.

Maybe my only choice if I want to buy local is a dual suspension, but get 'lost' in the typical trek/gaint range that it seems is all most places stock. I've also developed major issues with dealing with the local shops that stock them...they all seem to want to sell me the most expensive bike for my budget, and seem to get annoyed if I ask about what they are actually intended for, and how tough they are. I cant seem to get a straight answer about if something like a trek fuel EX 5/7 or norco fluid would be tough enough for my use. It seems to depend on what the shop has in stock. :|

I am 193cm / 85kg (or 6'4'' / 190lbs). But I have a long history of riding slightly 'undersized' bikes, and I actually perfer that in some ways, so I'd guess I either a large or xlarge would be fine. I would like to stay under $2250, but I could push that a little for the right bike, maybe as far as $2500-2700.

Any suggestions? Should I be looking at a lowish end full sus bike? Or maybe someone knows of a LBS with a large/xlarge honzo, or 'old stock' stache sitting round? Perhaps there is a deal who will sell me a transam for a cheap price? Is there some bikes I have missed? (almost certainly LOL) Or is my only option importing a bike I want from the US and can actaully get, like an airbourne goblin evo?

Thanks!

Mugglechops

Re: Trek Stache 6/8 Alternatives?

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 pm

Surly instigator maybe. The Stache is certainly a nice bike. My mate picked up a frame and fork of US ebay so that may be an option for you.