What if I can't find it locally?

AlexHuggs

What if I can't find it locally?

Postby AlexHuggs » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 am

So as I dig deeper into this bike thing and old dreams are rekindled (always wanted to tour, maybe try audax - kids are older and things become more possible), I'm considering a touring or randonneuring bike. They seem to make great commuters and would be a bit more versatile. Problem is pickings seem sparse here in Perth and I can't drive at the mo (which is why I've started looking for a bike) so it's not simple to try things.

What do you do if the type or brand of bike you're after isn't available locally? Can a LBS help in some way? Take a punt online (at those sorts of prices!)? This certainly won't be my first bike - I've owned several different kinds through the years - but the first of this kind of bike.

I did see a used Surly LHT in Perth - it's probably slightly too big for me but it gives me some hope.

Suggestions/comments appreciated.

cameronp

Re: What if I can't find it locally?

Postby cameronp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:09 pm

Ooh. Can of worms: opened.

On the straightforward level: if you can find a bike shop that stocks the brand you want but not the specific model, they can order one in for you. They may require a deposit or some kind of commitment to actually buying the bike, though. Personally I'd be reluctant to buy a bike that I hadn't test-ridden before, especially if it was my first "proper" bike, and especially if it was going to cost a significant amount of money. At least see if you can ride _a_ touring bike before buying so you have some idea of what they're like.

"Randonneuring bike" can mean many things to many people. In the literal sense of "bike that people ride randonnees on", the most popular style of bike on local Audaxes is the endurance road bike. (Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, etc.) Doing an Audax ride on a touring bike is hard work unless you're super fit. Actually, doing an Audax on any bike is tough! There's a (fairly generous) time limit, but the routes aren't normally flat, and there's a definite advantage to being able to hang onto a group of riders going at a pace you find comfortable.

"Touring" is also a pretty broad category. Depending on the style of touring and how much you're carrying (e.g. full camping and cooking gear?), you can get away with a bike that isn't a traditional touring bike. e.g. last year I did a six-day tour with my girlfriend, with me on a touring bike carrying most of the camping gear, and her on a flat-bar hybrid (the women's version of the Giant Cross City). I know someone who rode across Vietnam on a Jamis Coda flat bar bike. Another friend rode around Tasmania on a road bike. Yet another friend recently toured Mauritius on a mountain bike.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 am

Thank you, very helpful. So I'll go back to my original plan of going through a LBS or Gumtree. I guess that cycling being such a gadget oriented hobby it's easy to lose sight of the simplicity of cycling and get caught up in the latest greatest whatever. Really, I just want a bike that's comfortable, low maintenance and can take mudguards and rack - that will probably do me for 99% of what I actually want to do on a bike regardless of gear ratios etc.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 am

There are a number of locally available bikes in this style - as cameronp writes, bike styles can be ambiguous.

In the Cycle Touring section, Vivente are regularly mentioned and Surly have a fantastic reputation. They are not mainstream so are considered purchases and as the rider you 'go to the bike, the bike doesn't come to you'. In other words, you can't expect your local bike shops to have them, so you have to find out where / how to purchase.

If you go through a bike shop who generally doesn't deal with a brand, you will pay a premium, they have their margins, so it depends how confident you are to purchase direct. In the case of Vivente, they have two retailers in Perth and could be worth having a look.
Cycling is in my BNA

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:34 pm

If you can find a Vivente locally, it's definitely worth checking out. Mine's an older model which I got second hand. The newer ones have very impressive specs, e.g. a dynamo for lighting and USB charging comes standard! I've found mine to be a surprisingly nice ride unloaded, although obviously slower to accelerate and climb hills than a lighter bike.

Just don't feel like you absolutely need to have a special bike to go touring for a few days.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Check out Quantum Cycles in North Perth - speak to Aldo there, only place i have seen Vivente bikes in Perth.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 pm

cameronp wrote:Ooh. Can of worms: opened.

On the straightforward level: if you can find a bike shop that stocks the brand you want but not the specific model, they can order one in for you.
Sometimes it's not that simple. If it's an overseas model that the local distributor doesn't import then it can be pretty well impossible for the shop to order in. When it comes to complete bikes, shops are pretty well tied to their suppliers, and more to the point, the importers will only sell to their authorised dealer network. If you have something very specific in mind, it can be a bit of a challenge to track it down.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Too bad you weren't here a couple of weeks ago when there was VWR offered for sale on the forum - and it was located in WA (Mandurah I think).

The Vivente offers excellent value with a quality specification and is easily the match of similar offerings from Surly.

Another local company offering a value-for-the money range is Wayward. Well worth a look. At least one forum member has recently completed a Wayward Cape York self-build as a commuter.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks, I was looking for that site. Had forgotten the name.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:04 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:Thanks, I was looking for that site. Had forgotten the name.
Also worth noting that Click Bikes (a sister site to Wayward...both are run by DirtWorks) has some Wayward Nullabor and Cape York framesets listed for somewhat less than what is on the Wayward site http://www.clickbike.com.au/#!wayward-bikes/cek4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Probably a bit beyond me to build from scratch - components would be the cost killer wouldn't they?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:30 am

AlexHuggs wrote:Probably a bit beyond me to build from scratch - components would be the cost killer wouldn't they?
Yes - cheaper to buy the complete bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am

AlexHuggs wrote:Probably a bit beyond me to build from scratch - components would be the cost killer wouldn't they?
Could be. But the Wayward component spec is very low anyway - you can get a much better spec driveline for about 300 (though I'd spend a bit more and pair the trekking driveline with Gevenalle drop bar shifters), say another 200 for the cockpit and say 300 for the wheels...you'd come out with a better spec for roughly the same spend.

There's always the new steel framed disc braked versions of the Malvern Star Oppy...lower spec S1 http://www.malvernstar.com.au/bikes/oppy-s-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or the hydro disc 105 spec S2

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:56 pm

i hate buying complete bikes, because once i've changed everything i need to change for ergonomic reasons, and then peformance reasons (like wheels). there's very little of the actual bike left. and what's left is the horrible mix and matched groupset which i'll need to change parts on later anyway!

i'm talking about saddle (require a narrow one), seatpost (need setback), handlebars (frames in XL always have 44cm bars, i prefer 38 (narrow shoulders)), wheels (are always junk, and prefer tubeless), stem (thomson elite x4 mtb for piece of mind), bar tape is always junk (brooks leather is king, i dont bother with anything else anymore). cassette almost always needs to be swapped too.

but you just can't get decent framesets from the good brands on their own. this is where they make more profit, cut corners on components with deals with shimano.

unless of course, you go very high end, in which case 10K for a bike you'd expect nothing less than the best.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
AlexHuggs wrote:Thanks, I was looking for that site. Had forgotten the name.
Also worth noting that Click Bikes (a sister site to Wayward...both are run by DirtWorks) has some Wayward Nullabor and Cape York framesets listed for somewhat less than what is on the Wayward site http://www.clickbike.com.au/#!wayward-bikes/cek4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
had my eye on this bike for a while now, i like the look of it. bit more than a cheap ribble winter audax, but locally made. are they actually built well, welds good? saw another thread on it. i'd use it as a commuter but not sure about touring.

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:There's always the new steel framed disc braked versions of the Malvern Star Oppy...lower spec S1 http://www.malvernstar.com.au/bikes/oppy-s-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or the hydro disc 105 spec S2
Oh wow, those are very pretty. Nice spec on the S2 too.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:09 am

battler2 wrote: i like the look of it. bit more than a cheap ribble winter audax, but locally made. are they actually built well, welds good? saw another thread on it. i'd use it as a commuter but not sure about touring.
Almost certainly not locally made (Taiwan most likely), just locally supported.

Can't say anything about build quality as I've not seen one. However, Dirt Works aren't mugs.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:41 am

http://www.murucycles.com/#!bnt-tourer/c1kxd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Muru, local company, have frames that you can built up and build kits also. A BNT has just done the Tour Divide's 4500k's and 60,000m climbing in 20 days.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.