clippy pedals

Drizt

Re: clippy pedals

Postby Drizt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:29 pm

56 is the multi angle release cleat. Supposedly easier to clip out. I have some at home but haven't used them.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:08 pm

I just bought a set of one sided click'r pedals - I wanted the versatility to be able to wear kind of shoes when riding. Haven't been on a long ride yet (not my regular commute) but I have to say I really like them. I was skeptical about the benefit and a little concerned about clip stacking, but I've noticed a definite improvement in pedalling efficiency and they do unclip very easily - but not too easily. I actually feel more confident in them than previously. I also have a bad knee and find there's enough float in them to get a more comfortable angle (and if I'm having a particularly bad day I can just flip the pedal over to the unclipped side, although i doubt it would make much difference). Bontrager SSR multisport shoes. Happy camper.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I got the Shimano A530 pedals... one side is flat with a few grippy bits, good when not wearing bike shoes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:39 pm

My dislike of single-sided flat/SPD pedals is that the wrong side is usually the one that faces up when you want to start off again. Not such a pain in traffic, where you will have a little time to look down and flip the pedal over if needed. Off-road, though, it was a major PITA - simply not enough time between tree roots to get ones feet in.

So I dumped my single-sided pedals and went with double-sided M520s.

SPD-SLs are a nightmare in traffic, especially if you happen to ride SPD MTBs on the weekend. Foot placement and clipping-in action is completely different (more of a scoop your foot forward and upward), and a number of times on the SPD-SLs I got on the wrong side of the pedal, only to have my foot slip off and forward into the pavement with a taxi up my backside. Fortunately I had stiff soles or I might have broken a toe. Seeing other more experienced road riders in club kit suffer the same bout of fluff-around-itis when starting off from lights sealed the deal with my disaffection for these pedals.

So I've gone with Speedplay Zero. The clipping in action is much more like my SPD mtb pedals, and they're dpuble-sided. The adjustable float and low-friction float action is much more knee friendly than SPD-SL, which seemed to suffer a lot of resistance making my knees quite sore. No problems with Speedplay. My first set of cleats finally neds replacement after 18 months'commuting use, oncluding the daily scramble up and down the Harbour BRidge stairs.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Takes less than a week to get use to clipping in and clipping out. After that you don't even think about it.

I just rode back from the train station and I was wearing casual shoes, it was sooooo much harder riding up the hill, give me clips anyday
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:00 pm

ok so my wiggle order:
the shoes (shimano m089) came last week
the pedals came with smh56 cleats (i emailed to ask if they came with 51 or 56 and was told 51 so i had to buy the 56's separately)
when icame to assemble them in a mass of excitement i realised that the shoes had no cleat nuts

hence i cannot assemble and ride to work tomorrow :(
very sad.
can cleat nuts be found someplace cheap or do i need to do a return to wiggle?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 pm

hangfire wrote:ok so my wiggle order:
the shoes (shimano m089) came last week
the pedals came with smh56 cleats (i emailed to ask if they came with 51 or 56 and was told 51 so i had to buy the 56's separately)
when icame to assemble them in a mass of excitement i realised that the shoes had no cleat nuts

hence i cannot assemble and ride to work tomorrow :(
very sad.
can cleat nuts be found someplace cheap or do i need to do a return to wiggle?
I've only ever bought Shimano shoes and they have always come with cleat nuts. You'll find that you can buy cleats either with or without cleat nuts. From memory, the cleats I have bought from Wiggle have come without cleat nuts. Check the description.

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:10 pm

i mean the cleat nut plates to screw into.
not in the box, possibly been sent someone elses return that had them missing????
2015 Giant Cross City 0

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Are you sure the plates are not already in the shoes.
It's a long time since I've seen shoes where they are separate.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 pm

hangfire wrote:i mean the cleat nut plates to screw into.
not in the box, possibly been sent someone elses return that had them missing????
Same thing. Cleat nuts (they are a plate). Should be in shoes, as RonK mentioned.

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:01 pm

I have double checked and they are not present.
I emailed wiggle to ask if they can express me some or if i need to do a return which would be a pain.
Otherwise is it something an lbs would sell cheap?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:50 am

hangfire wrote:Is there much diff between the smh 51 or 56 cleats?
The pedals can use either apparently
Smh 51 only comes out with the heel away from the bike. Smh 56 comes out left, right, or up. Shimano clip ins are not designed to come out in a fall but most report it does happen that they come free.
Any way that is the statement made by Shimano on the manual with my pedals. Just saying. :)

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Well wiggle emailed back to say the plates should have been in the shoes and they dont have them separate so i can return the shoes or go to lbs and send a copy of the receipt to wiggle for a refund. Would this be a standard lbs item?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

RonK

clippy pedals

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:48 pm

I have not seen Shimano shoes in recent years where the cleat plates were not captive inside the sole, but I'm not familiar with the model you have.
I wouldn't expect shops to stock them as separate parts but it's probably worth asking.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 pm

I have seen some where the plates are loose and there is a sticker to put over the top of the plate to waterproof it once they are in the right position. I suppose you've pulled the insoles out to see if they have slipped away from the slots?

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:02 am

yep
i have the stickers though
my lbs said they stock them so i will try to get in there tonight
2015 Giant Cross City 0

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:23 pm

my lbs had them and jut gave me a set
i said i needed to pay for them and that the online shop would reimburse me anyway
they charged me $5 for a set.
very very helpful gang out at yarra valley cycles in lilydale.
2015 Giant Cross City 0

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Glad you found them hangfire ,
It must have been humbling to get them for free of the local LBS....It would make me feel like I was sitting on a fifty cent piece and my feet were not touching the ground. :)

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:02 pm

i will always buy locally if the price isnt to different
but the shoes were $60 cheaper online and the pedals were $45 cheaper
that is a substantial difference....
i do want to support them though
2015 Giant Cross City 0

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Yep, I did the same through Chain reaction...had to really. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Online is usually cheaper as they don't have the customer service and shop costs and often GST as well.

If I've viewed a product in the shop I've decided to buy I'll buy it from the shop rather than online as I feel that's the right thing to do by the shop. If I haven't viewed the product in the shop then I'll buy online
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 pm

took ages to get the original pedals off as they seemed welded on!
but the m324's are now on the bike and my shoes have smh56 cleats on them.
went for a mini ride up and down the street and they were surprisingly easy to get in and out of.
then when i stopped to get off i took my right foot out thinking 'better not stack it' then lent the bike onto my left which was still clipped in.....
queue panic
very glad i got the beginner style cleats as they let loose for my panic pull out and prevented me from having a moment in front of my wife and kids were i slowly fell sideways while tied to the bike.....
very happy with things so far, hoping to do the commute tomorrow and see the effect it has.
anybody got and tips for riding technique?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 pm

hangfire wrote:...
then when i stopped to get off i took my right foot out thinking 'better not stack it' then lent the bike onto my left which was still clipped in.....
queue panic
very glad i got the beginner style cleats as they let loose for my panic pull out and prevented me from having a moment in front ...
before we all get carried away with these "beginner" cleats, I thought I might chime in and say I have done the same on the m520 with the 51 cleat, crank brothers pedals and also speedplay zeros.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Unless you crank the pedal mechanisms up stupidly tight it's not difficult to get out in an emergency. I had an OTB off the MTB last week & managed to unclip, step over the bars & land on my feet! It's not the first time I've done that either.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Cool
I was very worried about that but it seems easier thN i thought
2015 Giant Cross City 0