Urgent advice on frame size please

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi all, I'm looking at a used Trek Domane 5.2 in a 54cm frame size. Many sites seem to differ on their idea of what size I should get. I am 173cm tall with an inseam of 84cm; can anyone near that size with said bike please comment with thoughts of 54 or 52 cm frame?

Greatly appreciated thanks, Steve
Steve.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Urgent advice on frame size please

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Frame size is a highly variable measurement. The only constant reference point is the bottom bracket centre, from there some manufacturers measure to the top of the seat tube, others measure to the centre of the top tube, some may go to the top of the top tube, while some even compensate for compact geometry & measure to a virtual point equvalent to a horizontal top tube!

A more consistent reference is the top tube length, which although it will vary a little bit between manufacturers & depending on intended use (eg race vs endurance geometry) is a much more reliable guide.

At 173cm you'd be in the range for a "medium" in any particular model, which would be in the region of a 540-550mm top tube, give or take a few mm. The Domane, being an "Endurance" rather than race model would be on the shorter end of that range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:48 pm

52 I reckon at a guess without looking...
Their 54 is on the smaller size though... Would be close.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm 173. my inseam in no shoes from floor up is only 80cm. I ride a 52 merida, tested a 54 splesh and that was too big (both endurance geo). I'd say 52 would be the go.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I've just been to my local dealer & been measured as a 54cm for the Trek Domane 5.2. Now trying to get my head around spending $4K on a bike.
Steve.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:Now trying to get my head around spending $4K on a bike.
Yeah, I know what you mean - it's always a concern buying a cheap bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:46 am

RonK wrote:
Thanks for the reverse psychology tip. I'm in the same boat, trying to justify a purchase of around that amount to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). I'll go down the "but it's cheap compared to...." road and see how I go.
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:17 am

Waccofozzy wrote:Thanks for the reverse psychology tip. I'm in the same boat, trying to justify a purchase of around that amount to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). I'll go down the "but it's cheap compared to...." road and see how I go.
Just show her a cost/benefits analysis vs golf...:)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MickMelb

Postby MickMelb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:38 am

RonK wrote:
So I was in exactly the same position six months ago - except it was a choice of 56 cm or 58cm Domane.

I went into the trek dealership looking for 56cm model and left with a 58cm after being advised that was the correct size for me. & It was nothing to do with being offered the 2014 DA model for the Ultegra price!

Six months on I was having some issues after ramping up ride distance....so went for a bike fit with a independent bike fitter. After extended assessment of me off the bike & then on the bike the conclusion came that is was the wrong frame. Turns out I'm a lot more flexible than average would be better off on a bike with a lower headtube (Domane 58cm has a 19.0cm headtube which is on the big side and very hard to get it low enough for me) I love the iso-coupler & lightweight of Domane 6 frame but should have got the 56cm (17.0 headtube & shorter ETT) or another bike with less of an 'endurance' geometry. Great & exactly what I'd want to hear...but six months too late.

The take away lesson before laying out $4k (more in my case) is to go to a bike fitter and get assessed. Don't rely on the store to do it because they aren't being paid to. They just want to sell a bike. It might cost $300+ to get a fit but you wont regret & it will help prevent making a bigger mistake.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful, six month old 6.9 Domane?

beccy77

Postby beccy77 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:01 am

How much for the Domane frame?

MickMelb

Postby MickMelb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

beccy77 wrote:How much for the Domane frame?
Yes, good question. Depends a lot on what happens next.

To understand the options I asked the bike store who advised on the original sale & if they will offer a deal on a replacement frame.

The store did kindly offer a 9 series madone frame set & integrated stem&bars for full RRP of $5k. (A new/replacement Domane 6 frame is $4.5k.)
Wow! Wont get that past the minister of finance.

Seems to me the best way to move on is to sell the entire bike as is.