Pulsating rear light

Azee

Pulsating rear light

Postby Azee » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:17 pm

I've seen a few bikes that have pulsating rear lights.

Can someone recommend me some good ones?

What I want:
Rechargeable
High visibility
Pulsating option

I've found the Cateye Volt 50 which fits the bill nicely, but the pulsating is a bit too fast for my liking. Are there any other rear lights like the Volt 50 that have a slower pulse mode?

frankn

Re: Pulsating rear light

Postby frankn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 am

Lezyne market some good rear lights such as Strip Drive (Rear) and a "Pro" version.
I use a Serfas Thunderbolt which is also pretty good.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 am

Exposure blaze

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:38 am

I have one of these:

http://www.cygolite.com/products/hotshot2W1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't find a combination of flash mode and speed that you like on this then there is no hope :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 am

silentC wrote:I have one of these:

http://www.cygolite.com/products/hotshot2W1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't find a combination of flash mode and speed that you like on this then there is no hope :)
I have the same light and it has quite a slow pulse, as desired by the OP. I also agree that the Hotshot has many great modes to choose from and excellent run times.

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:47 pm

or these have pulse..static...flickering and are really really bright.... they are built well easy to turn on/off etc..water resistant but in my experience are water proof, rechargeable and will burn a retina out.... http://www.bikebug.com/moon-shield-60-l ... 44013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

cage

Postby cage » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Another one here with the Hotshot plus i've got a Serfas Thunderboth on the back of my helmet. The Hotshot seems brighter but i'm very happy with them both.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Fly6

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Fly6 isn't pulsating (but is excellent - with the integrated camera).

Knog have pulsating lights and are USB rechargeable
Cycling is in my BNA

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Is it just me or the fly6 light function just not that bright at all? Especially in daylight hours?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:52 pm

tez001 wrote:Is it just me or the fly6 light function just not that bright at all? Especially in daylight hours?
It's not bright enough. Soon after I bought it I was riding behind my better half and was shocked how poor the light was in daylight. So now I only use the camera function and use a proper rear light as well.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Fly6 is a poor light and not very good camera :(

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Another Cygolite Hotshot fan here.

Been using mine for over three years now, and it's still going strong!

Bright as all buggery.

Azee

Postby Azee » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies.

That Cygolite certainly does seem bright.

Not sure if it has the mode I am looking for though?
What I want is a mode that the light is on, but then it goes brighter and then back to dull. The transition should be smooth too (i.e, not a strobe)

How does the Cateye volt 50 rate?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:02 pm

xeccon geinea. BRILLIANT!!! http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.php? ... uct_id=174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 am

exposure traceR

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm

I just had an Exposure Trace/TraceR set delivered today, the TraceR would definitely fit your needs, although not exactly cheap.

Regards,

SB

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:54 pm

+1 for the exposure blaze or any exposures for that matter.

My blaze has a slow steady pulse and is bright as.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 am

Drizt wrote:Fly6 is a poor light and not very good camera :(
Hi Drizt - Fly6 is a 720p resolution camera and a 30 lumen light. It is a very good 720p camera and a very good 30 lumen light. Both of these for less than $200

Perhaps, what you are trying to say is that your resolution requirements for a camera are more than 720p and your lighting requirements are more than 30 lumen. In this regard, Fly6 may not meet your requirements?

If you require 4k resolution, a GoPro Hero 4 Black will cost you $649. If you require 80 lumen rear light, an Exposure Blaze MK1 will cost you around $100

Both of these are great within each of their stated functions. But equally, I could say that the GoPro is useless for me to record solar flares as the emit from the sun or that the Exposure is useless for when I'm cooking a BBQ at night in the park. Both are true but if I just said "GoPro is useless" or "Exposure is useless" it would not be fair to each of them as there is no context.

If your Fly6 is not performing to specifications, then please contact us so we can resolve it. We have an active and friendly support team that 99% of the time leave our customers fully satisfied with the outcome. We don't want you to be unhappy with your product and stand by what we make. If it does not do what we say it should, we will replace it.

I think what I am trying to say here is that Fly6 is a great camera and a great light. It might not have all the specifications that you need but it is great in itself.

Regards
Andrew Hagen, CEO, Cycliq

cage

Postby cage » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 am

My take on the Fly6...

1) 720p resolution isn't adequate when the primary reason for the footage is to pick out number plates to be used as evidence in the event of a incident with vehicle.

2) A low 30 lumens does not make for a 'great light'.

3) While $200 may initially seem good when compared to what else is on the market, once you consider that even with the main light turned off, there are still red flashing lights circling the camera lens (the one I looked at, anyway. I assume its been designed that way) which means it can only be used at the back of the bike, then that's a high price for a camera with such limited use.

4) Unfortunately there have been way to many reported battery issues with these units for my liking.

People need to make up there own minds as to what is right for them, but for me, the Fly6 has a looooong way to go before i'll ever consider buying.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:42 pm

I understand the OP is after something specific, but for me I commute, no group rides so i want it to be useful in the day and night, made of quality plastic, + it needs to be waterproof.

This gets rid of many, there is a few old favourites around, some mentioned here. I use the PDW danger zone, meets my requirements. Only thing is I had to buy aftermarket re-chargies. But they last a long time between charges. So that is my pick of the bunch.

Azee

Splash Guards

Postby Azee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi guys,

So I recently went riding in the rain. I felt that I primarily got wet from the tyres throwing water at me rather than the rain itself.

I am not looking at getting some splash guards.

I use 700X23 tyres.

Any recommendations?
Priority is unobtrusive looks and functionality, as well as good quality and lightweight.

So far I am liking the SKS series, either the Chromoplastic or the Bluemel in 35mm width.

Any suggestions?
And suggested places to buy, preferably online? At this stage it seems buy from the UK is the best option price wise.

softy

Re: Splash Guards

Postby softy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 am

Azee wrote:Hi guys,

So I recently went riding in the rain. I felt that I primarily got wet from the tyres throwing water at me rather than the rain itself.

I am not looking at getting some splash guards.

I use 700X23 tyres.

Any recommendations?
Priority is unobtrusive looks and functionality, as well as good quality and lightweight.

So far I am liking the SKS series, either the Chromoplastic or the Bluemel in 35mm width.

Any suggestions?
And suggested places to buy, preferably online? At this stage it seems buy from the UK is the best option price wise.
Sorry I am a bit confused?.....

This thread is talking about lights, are you now talking about mudguards or lights that are good in the rain?

If lights, I find the PDW danger zone is absolutely waterproof, if only mudguards, I suggest you start a new thread so viewers can identify the topic you are discussing clearly.

:)

Azee

Postby Azee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi Softy,
It was meant to be a new thread but my browser history took my to the old thread by accident :oops: