where to buy dura ace 7700 hoods

Jshot

where to buy dura ace 7700 hoods

Postby Jshot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:34 pm

My hoods have worn down and are rubbery and sticky. Anyone know a place to get new/reproduction ones.

Duck!
Expert

Re: where to buy dura ace 7700 hoods

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:50 pm

There's a mob called Hudz who make a range of aftermarket hoods to suit various Shimano & SRAM (And possibly Campagnolo) levers, and might possibly do some for 7700. Be aware that there are/were two versions of the 7700 shifter, the "basic" (if Dura-Ace could ever be called basic) ST-7700 model without Flight Deck computer compatibility, and the ST-7700-C Flight Deck version. The C version has a wider lever head to accommodate the computer sensors, so the hood has a correspondingly broader, flatter peak to it. The rubbers are not interchangeable. 6500-series Ultegra/5500-series 105 (those two definitely share the same hoods) may be compatible, but I do not know for sure.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:13 am

Hudz and other aftermarket companies do not make pre 9s hoods. Many would be glad if someone made replacement hoods for the 8s and 9s Shimano levers. Those hoods are the ones that are beginning to degrade.

I will say good luck find a set of hoods for the 7700 levers. They are harder to find than the ever elusive 5500/6500 hoods. Your best bet is to find a use set of levers/a bike which still has hoods in decent shape.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

zero

Postby zero » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:12 am

I think they probably skipped 7700 on the basis that the rear shifters wear out - so those groups will be candidates for being retired. A couple of years ago, I bought a NOS rear shifter to fix my 7700 group after getting tired of hooking one lever with a finger to the get the other to shift. Can't get those anymore, so spares are basically new rings, new cassettes, nos derailleurs and secondhand shifters, and secondhand cranks. The second hand shifters tend to fail, and the second hand cranks tend to crack.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dura-ace-shi ... 1c59943e2d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I needed new hoods, I'd buy that and grimace at the shipping costs - hoods look dull and not shiny - they go shiny when they go sticky - suspect it comes down to whether the owner uses gloves or not (gloves will keep a lot of skin oil off the rubber).

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:23 pm

http://www.bike-vintage.com/ergopower-s ... 0-New.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productc ... 8p8390.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in stock?

I think 7700 turns up on ebay NOS more than 55/6500, but with either, setup a saved search with notifications so you don't miss the hoods when they're listed (put 6bd98160 in your search string for 7700 hoods). It's that or buy levers with flogged internals as above, but really, ditch 9sp, the chains and cassettes are better in 10sp. Or just replace the levers with pre 2015 campy 11sp, or campy 10sp with hubbub routing and you're golden.

Jshot

Postby Jshot » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:14 am

Ah what a bummer. I really don't want to change my groupset. It's still an awesome ride. Is there compatible newer shifters? Blakeylonger can you explain the the pre 2015 campy comment.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

You could use these, but it's a downgrade in quality and looks from da.

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SH ... ---st-3500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also buy a good used set of campy 11 sp shifters, pre 2015 update where they changed the cable pull slightly. Google shimergo to learn about it. For yours, 11 speed campy cables as normal to your da mech and shifts the 9 sp shimano cassette perfectly. The mech limit screws will stop the last two clicks from being used. Chorus or record ideally, to get the better front shifting trim (or the early 11 speed Athena that are also ultrashift) but the power shift models work fine generally.

Or... Buy a set of ten speed levers like tiagra 4600 or used 5600/6600/7800 and a ten sp cassette and chain and keep your mech, cranks and wheels. 5700/6700/7900 would also work but the brake pull is slightly mismatched, not unworkable but less ideal.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Jshot wrote:Ah what a bummer. I really don't want to change my groupset. It's still an awesome ride. Is there compatible newer shifters? Blakeylonger can you explain the the pre 2015 campy comment.
I thought the same way, the 7700 rear lever will go right down the cassette in a couple of presses if you fully sweep the lever - great for stopping at a set of lights from 45, but your cranks and right shifter have a finite remaining life, and the nice feel of the group is at least half down to the shifters.

cracked from the bolt through the gap in the spider on the tension side of the crankarm - I've cracked 2 sets of those cranks there.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 am

Jshot wrote:Ah what a bummer. I really don't want to change my groupset. It's still an awesome ride. Is there compatible newer shifters?
The only 9-sp. shifters currently produced by Shimano are 3500 Sora, which despite their relatively low ranking are not that bad, being heavily derived from first-generation 10-sp shifters, which as a whole are Very Good.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:11 am

Blakeylonger wrote:...but really, ditch 9sp, the chains and cassettes are better in 10sp.
That's not correct. The only difference is in component geometry; materials & construction are identical at any given groupset level (except 6700 cassettes got an aluminium lockring to "make it lighter".

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

Duck! wrote:
Blakeylonger wrote:...but really, ditch 9sp, the chains and cassettes are better in 10sp.
That's not correct. The only difference is in component geometry; materials & construction are identical at any given groupset level (except 6700 cassettes got an aluminium lockring to "make it lighter".
i'm referring to incremental developments over time that lead to longer lasting / better shifting parts, nine speed didn't get any more improvements once it was superseded. My point is that 10sp chains will generally give more lifetime than 9. Plus they and cassettes are much more readily available. (and then there's the shakes & hoods...). Occasionally you get a throwback trickledown like st-2400 (9sp style 8sp shakes) or st-4700 (11sp style 10 sp shakes), but generally not.

you may want to clarify 'any given groupset level has identical materials and construction', taken out of context that ignores changes in construction method like DA cranksets from solid arms to weld capped hollow arms to foam cored hollowtech 1 to hollowtech ii to hollowglide rings... or changes in material like the introduction of titanium sprockets and alloy and CF carriers, etc.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:
Duck! wrote:
i'm referring to incremental developments over time that lead to longer lasting / better shifting parts, nine speed didn't get any more improvements once it was superseded. My point is that 10sp chains will generally give more lifetime than 9. Plus they and cassettes are much more readily available. (and then there's the shakes & hoods...). Occasionally you get a throwback trickledown like st-2400 (9sp style 8sp shakes) or st-4700 (11sp style 10 sp shakes), but generally not.

you may want to clarify 'any given groupset level has identical materials and construction', taken out of context that ignores changes in construction method like DA cranksets from solid arms to weld capped hollow arms to foam cored hollowtech 1 to hollowtech ii to hollowglide rings... or changes in material like the introduction of titanium sprockets and alloy and CF carriers, etc.
Both your original point and my response referred specifically to 9-sp. vs. 10-sp. chains & cassettes, not other components. Yes there are geometric differences - packing the extra sprocket into the same space, tooth profile and link profile differences - but take a 9-sp. & 10-sp. Dura-Ace cassette and you'll find they both have a mix of titanium & steel sprockets pinned to alloy carriers, Ultegra cassettes forego the Ti sprockets in favour of all steel, with the same surface treatment as the steel D-A sprockets, 105 cassettes have a different surface treatment to Ultegra. Likewise chains; yes there are differences in link profiling, most notably the asymmetric design of 2nd-generation 10-sp and details such as plate perforation & hollow pins (D-A only), but in terms of materials & surface treatments each groupset level is the same for both 9 & 10-sp. versions.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:
Duck! wrote:

9 speed DA chains have wider plates than 11s DA chains, so the pins/plate interface has lower surface pressure and absent other factors will last longer. You can still get HG93, though I never bothered, HG53 is fine, though also I never use their joining pins.

10s shimano chains - they went to considerable effort to have a process which slots the inner plates for reduced weight - which they've subsequently dropped for 11s, probably because it sucks - but you'll see that they only have 1 type of tooling for constructing 10s chain, which is why 10s tiagra has the slots.

11s shimano chains they went to considerable effort to make hollow pins for reduced weight. If they changed pin materials, its in response to the issues with narrower plates or being hollow. They also have a ptfe coating, which I'll let you know if it makes the slightest bit of difference when I wear out my ultegra 11s hollow pin chain on the same bike that I previously had 9s DA on, but I doubt it will make much difference.

For the specific issue of chains, I'm dubious that the newer advances do much other than preserve the status quo against inherently worse mechanical design choices (from the perspective of chain life), and cassette/ring life is basically predicated on how much they are run with an elongated chain.