Strategy for buying a Hybrid under $400?

nasher21

Strategy for buying a Hybrid under $400?

Postby nasher21 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi everyone, apologies if this has already been covered but I'm looking to get a hybrid push bike for commuting and the odd leisure ride that might include a few hills here and there. The last time I bought a bike was a mountain bike I got second hand over 15 years ago so I'm pretty new to all this. Not looking for a world beater but just a nice standard, reliable bike that will do the job and hold up well.

I'd ideally like to spend $300, $400 being the absolute upper limit. I'm a 6 foot male about 90kg. I've done a bit of research and seen mostly good things on the Reid Condor or Reid Bikes in general. I am really tempted to just get the Reid Condor flat bar road bike for $300 but although the mostly good reviews I've seen the odd comment on the net saying they don't like the build quality and chains throw on hills etc. Would this bike or another Reid be a safe bet or are there possibly some other brands I could look at?

The other thing is the second hand factor. Are there any brands that are worth looking at here? For $300 is there a chance of getting a steal? Would appreciate any advice.

Trevtassie

Re: Strategy for buying a Hybrid under $400?

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Well you could keep an eye out on rubbish collection days. I just picked up a hybrid that was basically perfect except for the spokes. The manufacturer obviously decided to save some money by using some cheap crappy chromed spokes. They had rusted through where it appears some inclusions were left in the spoke wire when it was drawn. Really weird as the rest of it wasn't too bad. So new spokes and some oil and it's ready roll.
If you aren't a seagull like me, try Gumtree, there are always bargains on there!

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:08 am

These look ok, one is more a flat-bar commuter though...

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-SS200- ... ustcol1=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Fitzroy-1-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The SS200 looks to be good value.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:55 am

Look at buying a second hand one...

I sold my 8 month old $1200 hybrid for about that much... About 5 years ago.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

nasher21

Postby nasher21 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Starting to look more in the second hand range now

dontapoligize

Postby dontapoligize » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 pm

I thought I might bump this thread to see if we got more replies.

I'm a complete, complete, commmmplleettee beginner. Other than the few rides I've done the past few weeks I haven't ridden a bike in 15 years (bar a few random fun rides down the shops).

I want to start riding to & from work, at least twice a week (well let me start there). It's 18km each way which is a very long and painful ride for a newbie like me, especially since i'm using a 15 year old mountain bike.

I'm like the OP, prepared to spend $300-500 for a decent hybrid/road bike. I don't know anything and I'm trying to read up but it's all quite overwhelming.. there's too much information and concepts for me to learn about.

I don't need a $1000 bike, I'm not ever going to a serious rider. I wont be riding on any busy roads, mainly bike paths /dual footpaths and a few dead quiet streets. I just want to convert my crappy travel to work time to outdoor exercise time.

I've been recommended Reid Bicycles but also read some old threads on here which completely trashed them. Not sure if perceptions have changed over the years?

Are there any "really great bikes" in that price range that are generally highly regarded/recommended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:28 am

I think you'll probably struggle to find anything that would meet the 'really great' criteria at that price range, if only because 'really great' means different things to different people! At that budget for a new build it'll be mostly generic basic components, and whilst they'll perform decently with frequent maintenance if the bike will be ridden hard (as your 36km day a commute suggests, especially if you intend to do it in all weathers) any shortcomings will become apparent fairly quickly. Look at Cell and Polygon, and 99bikes has a sale on at the moment with some good deals like the Norco Indie 4. However if you have a mate who knows about bikes and can help you, second hand will provide far and away the best bang for buck.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

dontapoligize wrote: I'm like the OP, prepared to spend $300-500 for a decent hybrid/road bike. I don't know anything and I'm trying to read up but it's all quite overwhelming.. there's too much information and concepts for me to learn about.

I don't need a $1000 bike, I'm not ever going to a serious rider. I wont be riding on any busy roads, mainly bike paths /dual footpaths and a few dead quiet streets. I just want to convert my crappy travel to work time to outdoor exercise time.

Are there any "really great bikes" in that price range that are generally highly regarded/recommended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Really great is a relative term. It could mean $1000, $5000 or $10,000+ depending on your preference.

As a general rule, I suggest flat bar hybrids/flat bar road at the $500 range. The only thing I will say is to just relax and don't look too much into what you buy. 99% of us say they are never going to be a serious rider and we are probably correct. But it in now way diminishes the need for a better faster bike!
Last edited by Calvin27 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 am

I reckon for a 18km commute go a road bike with drop bars. You will get away with a mtb with slicks or a hybrid for about 10kms but that extra 8 kms each way will be painful on the body.

I've got about the same length commute and thats what I found. Since switching to the road bikes things just feel a hell of a lot more efficient.

I'd also ditch the 23mm tyres for good quality 28mm tyres (or 25mm if 28mm do not have enough clearance).
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:15 pm

rodneycc wrote:I reckon for a 18km commute go a road bike with drop bars. You will get away with a mtb with slicks or a hybrid for about 10kms but that extra 8 kms each way will be painful on the body.

I've got about the same length commute and thats what I found. Since switching to the road bikes things just feel a hell of a lot more efficient.

I'd also ditch the 23mm tyres for good quality 28mm tyres (or 25mm if 28mm do not have enough clearance).
Efficient yes agree... But I used to do 30km on a hybrid all the time before I got my roadie :?

Id put it down to setup if you were experiencing pain on a 18km ride.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Depends if you are 18yo or 48 I guess :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

dontapoligize

Postby dontapoligize » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:02 pm

thanks for the replies so far guys, it is appreciated.

when i said "really great" .. i meant in the context of my price range. obviously not in general!

I'm playing with the idea of getting a more expensive bike.. but it's such a huge investment that I'm not sure if it's the right decision. but you guys have given me food for thought. It's a shame that I don't know any riders to get help with getting a second hand bike and I don't think im informed enough to know how to ensure a good buy on a second hand one.

im 29yo, female (and despite all best efforts) a little on the chubby side.. i went for a 20km ride yesterday and my knees do hurt. that's why i really just wanna bite the bullet and buy a bike asap...but out of curiosity, are there, in general, major sales at christmas/post christmas time? i will pay a little more, if i know im getting a good deal

With drop bars, in your experiences, do you find that you put a lot of strain on your back?

*Edit: Actually, 99 Bikes is having a huge sale right now (thanks for the reference btw!) I'm gonna go instore today and check it out. if you're bothered to check out the list and spot a sweet deal for me, that would be epic (but i have no expectation that you will.. just trying my luck ;) ) might end up grabbing bike today

dontapoligize

Postby dontapoligize » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:15 pm

i ended up buying this for $750
http://www.bicycle-centre.com.au/produc ... 144319548/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hopefully it was a good deal for a great bike?!

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:24 am

That Norco looks like a really good deal for $750
dontapoligize.

Nice one.

C.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:01 am

Yep, nice deal and should give you many years of riding pleasure
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:54 am

Check out reid cycles