Carbon Aero Wheels

softy

Re: Carbon Aero Wheels

Postby softy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:23 pm

queequeg wrote:I'm currently testing some DA C50 Clinchers...

They certainly feel a bit lighter than the stock Cosmic Elites that came with the bike, and as I was heading out the track on Tue night I got my first lesson in bike handling with deep dish wheels in big crosswinds!

I've been given an opportunity to test drive done HED 60mm clinchers as well, so that will be fun. I have to give the C50s a run this weekend at Waratahs, as Tue night got cancelled due to the rain.
Oooo.. sexy, I have one of these, actually currently having some tt aero bars fitted and coverting to a single speed front. Has the old style zipp 404s fitted, only had a scare once in a very strong crosswind, generally I have found not to much of a problem, but nice when you have the sail effect. :)

Too Tired

Postby Too Tired » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:26 pm

I take it you're referring to carbon wheels with a carbon braking surface?

Wheels such as the above and my ZIPP404s are lightweight carbon with an alloy braking surface. Are they susceptible to heat too? I haven't tried them on a long descent but they are a step a move my previous ZIPP303s with carbon braking surface and I expect that is where you have the heat issues.
The cyclist formally known as AusTrinity

Requirements:
Cycling: A bike
This forum: A thick skin and witty retorts

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Too Tired wrote:I take it you're referring to carbon wheels with a carbon braking surface?

Wheels such as the above and my ZIPP404s are lightweight carbon with an alloy braking surface. Are they susceptible to heat too? I haven't tried them on a long descent but they are a step a move my previous ZIPP303s with carbon braking surface and I expect that is where you have the heat issues.
Yes (tubulars)

I find the braking equal to if not better than ally (dry conditions), I use swissstop pads, the yellow ones. I am not a heavy braker, and I live in Perth where we only have bumps in the landscape. :) so I haven't really pushed them anywhere near there limit.

JdM

Postby JdM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm

queequeg wrote:I'm currently testing some DA C50 Clinchers...
#wheelenvy :mrgreen:
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

SeanD380

Postby SeanD380 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:51 pm

In the end I got a great deal on a set of new HED Jet 6 plus, the better braking was the selling point.

I will keep an eye out for a used set of Zipp Tubular to see how I go with them.
2015 Focus Cayo 3.0 Disc
2015 Cervelo S3

Too Tired

Postby Too Tired » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:35 am

My ZIPP303s will be up for sale soon after I get the time to clean them up.
The cyclist formally known as AusTrinity

Requirements:
Cycling: A bike
This forum: A thick skin and witty retorts