chain compatability with Shimano 600

big booty

chain compatability with Shimano 600

Postby big booty » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Time to replace my chain. Im running a SRAM PC830 which I gather is for a 6/7/8 speed. Its currently fitted to a 7 speed cog set on a 86 vintage Ricardo running Shimano 600 (6207). Is there any downside or compatibility issues if I were to replace it with a 9S or 10S chain. The inner width should remain the same, or be a fraction narrower, with the outer width of the chain up to 1mm narrower? Wanting to buy a KMC 9S or 10S. Does anyone have the exact measurements of the inner and outer widths? KMC make some nice high end chains and was thinking of buying one as a replacement. Advice welcome, better still if you have first hand experience in running narrower chains on a set up that was originally fitted with a wider chain.

HappyHumber

Re: chain compatability with Shimano 600

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:17 pm

I personally wouldn't fret about a higher end chain for that combo. Chains are up there in there top few consumables on a well used and maintained bike anyway. Id just use a reg 6/7/8 spec.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I personally wouldn't fret about a higher end chain for that combo. Chains are up there in there top few consumables on a well used and maintained bike anyway. Id just use a reg 6/7/8 spec.
+1

unless you are a weight weeenie, happen to have a spare 9 speed chain lying around (me) or your current drivetrain is noisy, you don't need to.

A 6/7/8 spec chain has thicker (aka stronger) plates, so in theory more durable, if a little heavier.

The only reason I would run a 9, 10 or 11 speed chain on lower speed bike is to reduce noise, they are narrower. There are stories about better shifting but not from my experience.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:43 am

The narrower (particularly two steps from spec 10-sp.) chains can actually shift worse than correct spec because they don't have the width to reach across to the next gear to shift smoothly. Fit a Shimano HG91 600/Ultegra-level 8-sp. chain if you want something decent.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.