Slow erosion of overseas shops products

softy

Re: Slow erosion of overseas shops products

Postby softy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Yes I use to like wiggle,

But products are disappearing, especially the ones I like. Why I am not sure. Maybe the 80 / 20 rule.

With cycling clothes I don't buy online, I always buy from a local bike shop. I want to make sure they fit. No point buying something cheap if you don't want to wear it.

If you pop in when passing different bike shops you can be lucky and pick up real bargains, again no matter how cheap, if it doesn't fit proper I will not buy.

Just how I shop.

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:45 pm

ValleyForge wrote: The NorthFace Goretex outdoor kit I bought in Scotland (for hundreds of pounds) is still waterproof after 15yr and some very shabby treatment and punishment. I think it is reasonable ROI now but I didn't at the time.
The place to buy NorthFace stuff is Vietnam. I was there a few years ago and saw North Face gear selling for about a fifth of what it costs here! It probably came out of the factory back door.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:43 am

Mediocratus wrote:
ValleyForge wrote: The NorthFace Goretex outdoor kit I bought in Scotland (for hundreds of pounds) is still waterproof after 15yr and some very shabby treatment and punishment. I think it is reasonable ROI now but I didn't at the time.
The place to buy NorthFace stuff is Vietnam. I was there a few years ago and saw North Face gear selling for about a fifth of what it costs here! It probably came out of the factory back door.
Yeah, they sell that cheap counterfeit NorthFace stuff in Nepal too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:33 pm

I was a bit surprised that online ships sold Brooks saddles but some had no seat cover, the spanner and proofide kit, or the proofide on its own. They cherry pick the best sales maybe, and have lost the person that might be after the odd bits.
Its a bit like selling half of a pedal kit if you don't have cleats etc
You want a set of gear to get the free international delivery and can't always get the stuff to begin with. Back to the lbs again if your lucky.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers