10/11 speed Shimano chainring tooth width?

big booty

10/11 speed Shimano chainring tooth width?

Postby big booty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 am

Can some one that owns a digital micrometer please measure the width of the teeth on some 10/11 speed Shimano chainrings. I have a 600 series (6207) chainring and the tooth width is between 2.01-2.05mm. Wondering if the modern stuff is much thinner than that. Thanks in advance.

zero

Re: 10/11 speed Shimano chainring tooth width?

Postby zero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

The size of the hole in chains hasn't changed, its just the thickness of the plates on the chains - for that reason the thickness of chainring teeth haven't changed much at all.

They are however ramped, pinned and profiled to aid shifting (with the appropriate chain), and particularly with cassettes, the spacing has changed (which is why the plate thickness of the chains had to be reduced), and particularly with chainrings, there are many BCDs and more than 1 bolt pattern. ie you won't get a current shimano 11s 4 bolt chainring to bolt onto a 600 5-arm spider.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Built in obsolesence is becoming a more precise business ;) New chains might as well be compostable!

I see what Zero says; but I think big-booty is refering to the chainring plate width in the middle of the tooth ?

*hugging my stockpile of 9sp bits*
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:52 am

HappyHumber wrote:Built in obsolesence is becoming a more precise business ;) New chains might as well be compostable!

I see what Zero says; but I think big-booty is refering to the chainring plate width in the middle of the tooth ?

*hugging my stockpile of 9sp bits*
He probably is - in any case, ultegra 11s teeth so ramped that its hard to even measure it - they come to a point on the side and that mightn't coincide with the widest point on the other side, which is a problem for a micrometer, but not a problem for a square chain hole. I can't get at my micrometer right now (garage access has a curing seal I can't walk on - and all my stuff is under dust covers with concrete dust on top of them anyway) but spurious readings ahoy. The basic plate is 2mm wide at the bottom of the teeth though according to less accurate measurements than a micrometer.

Just wanted to dispel the notion that being compatible with the chain is being compatible with the cranks, which is a potential money/time saver if that issue is being overlooked.