Stages power meter price drop in Aus?

sknkh

Stages power meter price drop in Aus?

Postby sknkh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:32 am

I saw on DC Rainmaker's site that Stages are dropping the prices of their power meters: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/stag ... rices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know if we are getting these price reductions here in Aus, and if so, what they would be and when? I'm hoping I'll finally be able to afford the 6800 Ultegra Stages I've been pining over for far too long.

Ignoto

Re: Stages power meter price drop in Aus?

Postby Ignoto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 pm

With the Australian dollar tanking don't get your hopes up. If anything, we'll be lucky if the prices don't increase.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Was wondering the same thing

JdM

Postby JdM » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Ignoto wrote:With the Australian dollar tanking don't get your hopes up. If anything, we'll be lucky if the prices don't increase.
This. No doubt Australian distributors will be keen to protect their margins - can't really blame them either.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Not really competitive at current pricing compared to power2max etc

sknkh

Postby sknkh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:Not really competitive at current pricing compared to power2max etc
Yeah at the current price point I don't think it's really worth it compared to power2max, but I don't want to have to change cranksets. If it doesn't drop at all then I might have to consider getting a 4iiii Precision, even with the low AUD it looks to be a lot cheaper than a stages. Only issue is it is fairly new, and there aren't that many reviews out, but what I have read has been good so far.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:50 pm

sknkh wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:Not really competitive at current pricing compared to power2max etc
Yeah at the current price point I don't think it's really worth it compared to power2max, but I don't want to have to change cranksets. If it doesn't drop at all then I might have to consider getting a 4iiii Precision, even with the low AUD it looks to be a lot cheaper than a stages. Only issue is it is fairly new, and there aren't that many reviews out, but what I have read has been good so far.
Yeah 4iii might be a bit of a risk. And sending your crank in sounds like a bit of a hassle.

I'm thinking of the P1's now too since I don't want to change cranks for p2m either. Bit expensive but sounds like the perfect PM.

sknkh

Postby sknkh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
sknkh wrote:
Yeah 4iii might be a bit of a risk. And sending your crank in sounds like a bit of a hassle.

I'm thinking of the P1's now too since I don't want to change cranks for p2m either. Bit expensive but sounds like the perfect PM.
I love my Speedplays so that's not an option for me. :(

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:16 am

Bluejay87 wrote:
sknkh wrote:
i have 4iiii precision for about 3 months now.
i am waiting to see how much time the battery will last after firmware 2 update and then post my impressions here.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

sknkh

Postby sknkh » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

That would be great, thanks!

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:21 pm

panosk wrote: i have 4iiii precision for about 3 months now.
i am waiting to see how much time the battery will last after firmware 2 update and then post my impressions here.
Looks like a new 4iii will run about $650-700 AUD delivered compared to ~$600-700 for a second hand stages (and that's playing pot luck with the battery door issue).

4iii Looks like the more tempting option for the money.

EDIT: Also, am looking forward to the Powerbeat (https://shop.watteam.com/products/pbprometer1) being available world wide. $700 AUD for left/right power is a killer price point.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Always surprised people are willing to risk being early adopters to save a few hundred dollars. Or waiting for tech that hasn't quite made it to market yet rather than gathering data now... Nearly all V1.0 PM's have caused users grief!

P2M is the cheapest reliable PM as it has already gone though that initial pain period a couple of years ago.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Agreed, but I consider the powertap p1's as less risky for a v1.0 product because from a company with huge expertise in the field, reliable support network and the product itself was apparently years in the making

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Agree to a point about the P1's, but have been ready people having weird behaviour around the Garmin finding the right pedal or some such (not following closely as not in the market for another PM)...

kb

Postby kb » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:33 pm

dalai47 wrote:Agree to a point about the P1's, but have been ready people having weird behaviour around the Garmin finding the right pedal or some such (not following closely as not in the market for another PM)...
And not being able to change crank length on the Edge1000 (although that's fixed in the latest firmware).