Reid falco elite vs giant defy 4

jamesd

Reid falco elite vs giant defy 4

Postby jamesd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:18 am

Guys I'm new to road biking, I have $800 I'm tossing up between the reid falco elite or defy 4 i love the way the defy rides and looks and it has opinions for racks and fenders..... but the falco has full 105 groupset its also nice to ride but im unsure of the quality! What would you do? Im leaning towards the defy only because giant is well regarded especially the defy and if seen mosty good reviews..... can't find many reviews on the falco....... help

jerrah

Re: Reid falco elite vs giant defy 4

Postby jerrah » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:49 pm

I know someone with a Falco who loves it. He's had a few mechanical issues but I think that's purely coincidental.

Alternatively you could always get the Defy and then upgrade the components down the line?
Liking the ride of the frame is probably most important because it can't be easily changed but components can be upgraded. Pick the one you enjoy riding the most!

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah that's what i was thinking..... the claris gears would be fine for me since im a noob coming from a hybrid with crappy shimano altus.......... thanks for the reply!

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 pm

jamesd wrote:Yeah that's what i was thinking.....
That said, I'd get the best groupset I could afford. Nothing like fighting a drivetrain to discourage you from riding!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Often the train of thought is to get the best frame and have the option to upgrade parts later, though only few would buy and upgrade a complete groupset.

On the groupset, do consider that if you look after it, then it will be better than a higher level groupset which is not maintained.
Cycling is in my BNA

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 am

IMO ... versatility of the Giant frame as presented; for ongoing value and basic frame longevity/use to you.
upgrades bits as compelled/necessary as time goes by.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:16 am

I could possibly stretch to a defy 3!! My crappy hybrid can't discourage me, so i think the defy 4 would definitely do the job at sub $800 (after scrounging a discount) its right up my ally......

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:19 am

Great advice thanks guys...

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Ok i put a deposit on a defy 4 picking it up next week....... Wayne at cyclemainia on wannaroo rd pushed me across the line, with a detailed description on the quality of the giant frame and a real enthusiastic conversation about bike fit....... so im pumped can't wait, since he is a stage 2 coach i feel im in good hands...... thanks guys for all your replys!!

softy

Postby softy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

jamesd wrote:Ok i put a deposit on a defy 4 picking it up next week....... Wayne at cyclemainia on wannaroo rd pushed me across the line, with a detailed description on the quality of the giant frame and a real enthusiastic conversation about bike fit....... so im pumped can't wait, since he is a stage 2 coach i feel im in good hands...... thanks guys for all your replys!!
pretty good at cyclemania. :)

jamesd

Postby jamesd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:37 am

Yeah the most helpful bike shop I've been to..... only spending a fraction of what other guys would but he was still keen to answer all my questions.... he evan ate lunch late so he could sort me out...... great service!!

del13r

Postby del13r » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am

I ended up getting a Reid Falco Elite for a great price at the end of October 2015.
My main criteria was to get something with full Shimano 105 5800 components.
I originally was looking at a Polygon Helios A5.0. I watched their website for ages waiting for my size to come in stock which never happened.
Then I looked at a Cell Lapa 2.0 but they also didn't have my size either.
So I bit the bullet and ignored some of the bad reviews about Reid, I walked in there to check it out.
Having worked in retail before, I know how it is being on the other side so I patiently waited and they sorted me out with a test ride and then I bought it then and there. They even stayed back 30 mins after closing time to close the sale and still provide the full service purchase experience. I walked away feeling happy with my purchase.
A few weeks on, I have replaced the provided toeclip pedals and gotten some shoes with cleats. Keeping in mind that the other 2 bikes mentioned above don't come with pedals at all.
Overall, I feel I got great value for my money.

hmarold

Postby hmarold » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:16 pm

I had a Falco Elite for a year, my first roadie. It was a good introductory bike that taught me a lot about riding roadies and what I like.

Replaced it with a Giant Defy Advanced Pro with a carbon frame, disc brakes and 28mm tubeless tyres - the Reid taught me I like something better than an alloy frame and that I hate rim brakes and tubes in tyres with a deep and abiding passion...