Advice on a new bike 3-4K

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey guys, the hunt is on again for a new bike. I bought my last bike in 2011, Aluminium frame with a 105/Ultegra Mix. Recently destroyed. Was a great bike to get started on, but wasn't the most comfortable thing once I grew into it, and fairly heavy. It's been a few years since I've been looking and am wondering what's out there. I'll try and be detailed as possible. My current work life hasn't given much opportunity to ride, i.e. to work, but ready to hit it up on the weekends. I live in a fairly rural area, so roads can be rubbish.

I'd love something that I can ride comfortably for at least two hours. I haven't really kept upto date with Bikes and Tech, so I'm a bit out of the loop. I'll be keeping this thing for at least a three or four years, so I want something I can at grow into, instead of feeling I should have spent a little bit more, for something better. (n+1 etc.) I'm open to the idea of custom build too, but our dollar isn't the greatest for something along those lines either.

I don't need a pure race machine, as I will not be doing crits or the like.
Happy with 105, Ultegra, Red and especially Ui2 if it's possible at this price point. I'll do the majority of maintenance myself.
Fan of Canyon, Giant and Focus bikes but totally open minded.
Prefer not to replace the wheelset if I don't have too.
Love Matt Black

Physically I'm about 5'8, 70 kg, flexible.

I had a solid look at local LBS's on the weekend, but there wasn't a lot of great choices, not to mention poor service. Lots of Sub 3K Merida stuff.
This Giant was the only thing that really stood out:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 280/89216/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would love any help!

Duck!
Expert

Re: Advice on a new bike 3-4K

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm

While nicer than your old aluminium rig, the Propel isn't going to be the nicest thing to ride on rougher roads - it's a relatively unforgiving, uncompromised performance beast. If you want the race geometry with a more forgiving ride, the TCR fits in much better; same point-to-point geometry as the Propel aside from the sloping rather than level top tube, but different layup & tube profiles to offer considerably more compliance on the rough stuff.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Make sure the frame can accept 25mm or even 30mm tyres. This will give a much more comfy ride.

different bikes are made to absorb road buzz, example the Bianchi c2c http://road.cc/content/review/76942-bianchi-infinito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Other brands have their comfort bikes as well.

google is your friend, some reseach will get something what you are looking for.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Find an Avanti dealership and have a look to see if there are any Scott CR1's left in stock. There aren't any on Bike Exchange, but I saw some still in stock when I was in the Valley store 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure the CR1 with Ultegra Di2 is under $4k.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:30 am

This merida scultura is worth a look - http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-merida ... anthracite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DI2 and < $3300. I've got a merida ride 5000, comfortable and enough bike for me at the moment.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

JdM

Postby JdM » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:24 am

Duck! wrote:While nicer than your old aluminium rig, the Propel isn't going to be the nicest thing to ride on rougher roads - it's a relatively unforgiving, uncompromised performance beast. If you want the race geometry with a more forgiving ride, the TCR fits in much better; same point-to-point geometry as the Propel aside from the sloping rather than level top tube, but different layup & tube profiles to offer considerably more compliance on the rough stuff.
^This.

The TCR is probably a better all rounder bike if you want a Giant, something like this one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 265/84221/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although the kind of riding you're describing you might want to go down the path of a Defy instead?

The Focus Cayo Models have gotten pretty good reviews from what I'd read too - I think the Ultegra equipped ones go for around your price range.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm

JdM wrote:
Duck! wrote:While nicer than your old aluminium rig, the Propel isn't going to be the nicest thing to ride on rougher roads - it's a relatively unforgiving, uncompromised performance beast. If you want the race geometry with a more forgiving ride, the TCR fits in much better; same point-to-point geometry as the Propel aside from the sloping rather than level top tube, but different layup & tube profiles to offer considerably more compliance on the rough stuff.
^This.

The TCR is probably a better all rounder bike if you want a Giant, something like this one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 265/84221/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although the kind of riding you're describing you might want to go down the path of a Defy instead?
+1 for all of the above.

I have just purchased the 2016 TCR Advanced Pro 0 can highly recommend. I also own the 2013 Defy Advanced 0 I usually do regular 90+ km rides on the weekend and I am enjoying the TCR much more that the Defy.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Based on recent experience I would also consider a Scott Solace of some kind. Good value models around $3k.

I've been a Defy fan in the past but think the Solace has a more responsive ride, whilst still providing terrific comfort for long distances.

I've never ridden a TCR, but would consider one if I was buying specifically for road riding, lost 6-8 kgs around the middle and could set it up OK for my riding style.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks all. Will have another round of searching this weekend. It honestly seems like a terrible time to buy because '15 stock is all but gone, at least in my size and '16 stock is about to roll in. I had another look in my lunch break and have sort of listed a few to test out. The road buzz factor is definetly something I'm cognisant of. The last thing I want is some uncompliance frame that can only be ridden on smooth roads.

Current shortlist:
Cervelo R3
TCR Advanced 0
Propel Advanced Pro 0
Scott Addict
Focus of some kind, probably a Cayo.
Colnago CLX 3.0

Failing all that, I'll settle with a Merida.
This 4K budget is slowly bleeding out to 4.5K. :shock:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you in the loop to how it all goes.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Shpox wrote:Thanks all.....

This 4K budget is slowly bleeding out to 4.5K. :shock:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you in the loop to how it all goes.
The main diff btw about $3k and $4.5k can often be components and wheelsets. Frames (and therefore 90% of the ride quality) are often virtually identical.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Propel advanced pro 0 ftw.

Not sure why anyone would call them harsh. Can easily knock out gran fondo on them. Also great climbers.

We have had / have

2014 defy advanced 1
2015 propel advanced pro 0 (fouriers brakes)
2015 defy advanced pro 0

All fantastic bikes.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Had another gander this weekend. The Giants are honestly unbelievable in terms of value. Some of these new 2016 frames can barely scrape together a full grouppo for the my budget, but I think I may have narrowed it down to two bikes, not withstanding any new 2016 bikes.

1. 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 0 - Ui2
2. 2013 TCR Advanced SL0 - Di2

Both fit in budget. Hoping to test ride next week before finding out which one might be a little more comfortable than the other. Currently unsure if I'm an M or a S. Long torso.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Shpox wrote:Had another gander this weekend. The Giants are honestly unbelievable in terms of value. Some of these new 2016 frames can barely scrape together a full grouppo for the my budget, but I think I may have narrowed it down to two bikes, not withstanding any new 2016 bikes.

1. 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 0 - Ui2

Both fit in budget. Hoping to test ride next week before finding out which one might be a little more comfortable than the other. Currently unsure if I'm an M or a S. Long torso.
bike fit, bike fit, bike fit.

i would ask for a bike fit before buying anything.
Go to a few stores, get a bike fit and go for a ride. Bike shops will fit your pedals etc (take all your riding gear). Go for a decent ride on the bikes 30 mins or more. See how they feel. Different grouppos feel diferent, wheels feel different and frames feel alot different.

then decide what fits like a glove.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Its not clear from the post which part of your current bike is destroyed - all or part. However, if its only the frame, what about using the old components and buying just the frameset? Could also use some of the savings to tart it up a bit.

There are occasionally some reasonable 2nd hand deals on bikes which are almost new/rarely ridden on sale in the Classified section of the forum. Probably more down to good fortune the right sized bike comes around but if I was in the market for a new bike, some of those bikes would interest me (assuming size was also correct). Then your $4k budget reduces to a $2.5k spend (for a bike that cost $5k+). :D

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Shpox wrote: 1. 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 0 - Ui2
They're both Di2. One is Ultegra Di2, the other is Dura-Ace Di2.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Shpox wrote:... Currently unsure if I'm an M or a S. Long torso.
I'm very similar numbers to you - 173cm, 69kg good flexibly and long torso & shorter legs. I'm riding a small frame (525mm ETT) with 11cm stem, which was added after getting a bike fit. My reason for going smaller frame was to get 170mm cranks and to have a decent drop from seat to bars. If in doubt get a bike fit first.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:55 pm

FWIW I would drop the budget on the bike a little, to allow a wheel upgrade. Spend $3K on the bike, then get some decent wheels suited to your riding , eg ultra light hill climbers or aero speed machines. Leave the original wheels to be used as paper weights somewhere, you're not likely to get anything other than a good functional set of rims on a new bike.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 pm

FWIW - i reckon of the two in your shortlist, the TCR is the go - given your original post.

Both are cracking rigs.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 am

Wow a new bike just to ride 3-4K :shock:

It's ok, I'll show myself out
Anything you can do, I can do slower

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:57 am

find_bruce wrote:Wow a new bike just to ride 3-4K :shock:
It's ok, I'll show myself out
Aaaah, made me chuckle over my breakfast. :D

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for all your advice, especially softy. Test rode the Giant, test rode the TCR. Very different bikes. The TCR was lighter, smoother on the road, but still really harsh over bumps. It felt very much like a traditional road bike, but light. I'd describe it as a light but mild bike compared to the Propel. I came in the expectation that the Propel would harsh, but it was super compliant. The bike gets chattery over bumps but a lot of that really isn't transmitted through. Was a huge surprise. The propel makes you want to ride hard, power transfer is completely there. On paper, I was between a M and S exactly. I went with the M because I really like a longer reach, have a longer torso too.

I managed to get this right in the middle of my budget so 3.5k with Di2 and Reynolds Assault SLG wheels. It was a demo bike.

Cons? Can't really do 25mm tyres on the back of the 2015 bike without some mucking about. Brakes not as a nice as dura ace either. Few little dings not being 100% new, but all cosmetic.

Pros? This beast just goads you into riding. There is some love there.

Top_Bhoy, my old bike was destroyed on a descent - Mt. Coot Tha here in Brisbane. A ute had come parked at a stand still around a blind corner, I didn't have enough time or distance to stop. Very lucky that the bike took the brunt of it. Everything from the front is pretty much unsalvageable, wheel, rim, tyre, ultegra levers were broke too, front derailleur in pieces. In saying that, it will be donor bike to a family member to get them into riding. I will be getting it fixed.

Last edited by Shpox on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Noice, just out of curiosity,was the TCR an ISP version, or did it have a normal seatpost.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Jesmol wrote:Noice, just out of curiosity,was the TCR an ISP version, or did it have a normal seatpost.
The one I test rode was mech Dura Ace with normal SP. Actual one for sale though had an ISP, so would have to be cut and stuff.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Shpox wrote:
Jesmol wrote:Noice, just out of curiosity,was the TCR an ISP version, or did it have a normal seatpost.
The one I test rode was mech Dura Ace with normal SP. Actual one for sale though had an ISP, so would have to be cut and stuff.
I was told that the ISP version is more compliant , and the normal sp version can be a bit harsh

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Shpox wrote: Cons? Can't really do 25mm tyres on the back of the 2015 bike without some mucking about. Brakes not as a nice as dura ace either. Few little dings not being 100% new, but all cosmetic.
They can fit 25c tyres easily, you just have to swap over the brakes.... I know, I've done it :)

Fouriers or 2016 propel brakes are what you want.