Compact USB Front Flasher recommendations

cjrich

Compact USB Front Flasher recommendations

Postby cjrich » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 am

Hi all. Firstly, apologies for another lights thread.

Looking to replace the Lezyne Femto on my roadie with something a little brighter and USB rechargeable for dawn / day rides. I generally ride with the flasher going even in broad daylight. Due to already crowded cockpit (Garmin and Rideye camera) I need something compact that will attach to the front of the bars. Been looking at the Knog Blinder 4 but apparently the rubber mounting straps are rubbish. The other I was looking at is the Lezyne Zecto but looks a bit chunky compared to the Knog.

Anyone used either of these lights or recommend something else?

Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

rangersac

Re: Compact USB Front Flasher recommendations

Postby rangersac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:47 pm

It's a crowded market. Do you need just a flasher or do you want a backup full beam for night rides? Having tried a few front units my recommendation is the Cateye Volt 300, or if you think it's a bit underpowered (personally I think it's plenty bright on the high beam) the Volt 700. Long run times, bomb proof tool free brackets, nice beam shape and replaceable batteries works for me. Hang it upside down on the bars and your space issue is solved.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:11 pm

I bought one of these for the Mrs, she didn't want the hastle of a rechargeable light so I've been using it. It's relatively compact, surprisingly bright and I'm happy with it. It charges off a Samsung connection so I don't need to carry an extra charger when we go away. I didn't buy it from Jenson....
http://www.jensonusa.com/Niterider-Ligh ... -USB-Light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:33 pm

As just a flasher I have one of these front units. Very compact and light, can be stem or bar mounted, and the flash has an extremely wide spread (to the point it annoyingly shines into your eyes when riding, but it's nothing a small piece of black electrical tape doesn't fix!).
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:39 pm

You could use an Exposure Trace and mount it under the bars instead of on top. I bought the front/rear combination recently after owning a number of Knogs and am very happy with the Exposures.

http://www.this link is broken.au/exposure-trace-front-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

SB

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Storm Boy wrote:You could use an Exposure Trace and mount it under the bars instead of on top. I bought the front/rear combination recently after owning a number of Knogs and am very happy with the Exposures.

http://www.this link is broken.au/exposure-trace-front-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

SB
+1 for Exposure Trace.

- Small and fits easily on the front handlebar.
- tough Alu case
- USB-charging

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:19 pm

I don't recommend Front Flashing.
You could get arrested

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Although they aren't usb these are compact, bright and can be fixed to your fork blades as I've done in the past.
http://www.merlincycles.com/niterider-l ... AtlE8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Derny Driver wrote:I don't recommend Front Flashing.
You could get arrested
I have found bright front flashing has made a few motorists hesitate, reason why i like them.

I am unaware of any code, act that makes these illegal, can you please reference. Cheers

Of course there is the chinese lights, i have had excellent use out of these, bit bigger with a seperate battery you carry on the top tube. I run 2000 lumens, 1200 lumens (medium selection) at night and flashing in the daylight.
Of course cheap.

The one i use fitted upside down on the bar.
http://m.lights-box.com/2u2-bike-light- ... dlight-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by softy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:21 pm

softy wrote:
You could get arrested
I have found bright front flashing has made a few motorists hesitate, reason why i like them.

I am unaware of any code, act that makes these illegal, can you please reference. Cheers
You need to be in the gutter to appreciate DDs point of view. :D

Cheers,

Cameron

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
softy wrote:
You could get arrested

You need to be in the gutter to appreciate DDs point of view. :D

Cheers,

Cameron
hee hee, I thought this was a family forum ;)

Dean Learner

Postby Dean Learner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 pm

I've been eyeing off the Specialized flux lights recently. Certainly a nice compact design as they mount like the out front Garmin mounts.
Anyone have experience with them?

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Just ordered the Exposure Trace, cost more than I wanted to spend on a flasher but ticks all the boxes. Anyway, it's only money, I get more next month ;-)
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 pm

You could get arrested
Rear flashing could have even more unfortunate consequences

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Maybe...?

http://www.bikebug.com/cateye-volt-300- ... 29948.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/sg400-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xeccon Link/Link Duo light from Cell bikes?

linkorama...
C.

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I just grabbed one of those Cateye 300's last week from Bikebug. Ordered at 9am. Was delivered to me by midday!!! Used it twice so far and it's pretty good. Fits great upside down under the bars as well. Battery lasts for ages too.

Probably not quite as much light throw as my Knog Road 3 but have had 3 or 4 straps break on that.

I really wanted a Specialized Flux but pretty sure they have increased in price by over $100 since their launch.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Rear flashing could have even more unfortunate consequences
I have a Moon, is that the same thing?

funkyblue

Postby funkyblue » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Choice Magazine recently reviewed 143 lights.

From their recommendations I purchased:

Front: Moon Mask - Which got 89% overall.
https://www.choice.com.au/products/tran ... mask-front" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back: Knog Blinder 1
https://www.choice.com.au/products/tran ... der-1-rear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both have been excellent and changed via USB. The front is really bright great coverage. Worth taking a look.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:48 pm

funkyblue wrote:Choice Magazine recently reviewed 143 lights.

https://www.choice.com.au/products/tran ... mask-front" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.choice.com.au/products/tran ... der-1-rear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both have been excellent and changed via USB. The front is really bright great coverage. Worth taking a look.
Well that maybe be so, but i would recommend you don't get that moon wet. I tried heaps of this brand, great in the dry, but wet, they don't like. Run time i found not adequate either.

just my experience.

funkyblue

Postby funkyblue » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Really? That's interesting. Wonder if there is different models?

I've had mine get a bit wet and it has lasted well over 4 hours on the highest brightness for me. I timed it over a good week :)

softy

Postby softy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:10 pm

funkyblue wrote:Really? That's interesting. Wonder if there is different models?

I've had mine get a bit wet and it has lasted well over 4 hours on the highest brightness for me. I timed it over a good week :)
yes there is different models,

I tried quite a few rear and front lights, stuck with the brand and spent a fortune, had ones not working from new i had to exchange, rear light mounts breaking on there top end model. And function sequence going haywire after being in heavy rain.

Sold them all!

Now use a cheap china light, 2000 lumens, simple 3 settings, and it just is so reliable. On the back use PDW danger zone 1 watt simple three setting light, just keeps working. In all weather, that is what i like. :)

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:30 pm

funkyblue wrote:Choice Magazine recently reviewed 143 lights.

This test was done by (Bicycle Network) originally and Choice Magazine have made it clear that they displayed it ,but did not necessarily endorse it's findings and/or content.
I have found Moon brand OK, and the information about run-times and beam patterns to be pretty accurate.
Can't really make any claims about my Moon (or Serfas TSL-S500) in wet conditions though.

C.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:50 pm

I tried to like the knog front blinder. I really tried. Nice little thing, looks unobtrusive, nice bright flash. After 3 broke their straps (one due to me prob, 2 just snapped while the bike was stationary, in the back seat of the car), I gave up.

Went through 2 rear moons....all 3 failed after severe rain exposure (+5 hrs) and I gave up on them too.

Light and motion front, bbb rear. Ugly, but they do what I want and have taken this year's winter. L&M has a crappy high power run time though. Flash/strobe setting is better....maybe 7 hrs? And you can't call it compact.....so I have nothing to offer :( :lol:

paule11

Postby paule11 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Had the same with knog blinder useless straps only 3 months old

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:54 am

I had to send my Knog Blinder Road 3 back as the battery was not lasting - with the refund from Wiggle (and a little extra) I ordered an Exposure Switch - I have been impressed with the Exposures even though they are somewhat more expensive than other brands. The Switch has a greater light output than the Knog, is lighter in weight, and battery life should be 3 times as long. It also has a hood over the top of the lens which was the only thing lacking on the little Trace.

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.co ... ont-lights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;