4iiii precision power meter, my experience

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: 4iiii precision power meter, my experience

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Any like to post some data? One data quality test I like to see is a maximal effort power and cadence data from a standing start, or at least from a very slow rolling pace. Need to capture the initial 6-8 or so seconds of data.

Of course if you have not done this before, don't as there are inherit dangers in doing such efforts if you don't know what you are doing or have equipment suitable for the demands involved!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Any like to post some data? One data quality test I like to see is a maximal effort power and cadence data from a standing start, or at least from a very slow rolling pace. Need to capture the initial 6-8 or so seconds of data.

Of course if you have not done this before, don't as there are inherit dangers in doing such efforts if you don't know what you are doing or have equipment suitable for the demands involved!
Here's DC Rainmaker's review.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/12/4ii ... eview.html

Conclusion: it takes the KOM for the least expensive direct force power meter on the market – and one that’s just as accurate and easy to use as ones that cost significantly more.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:58 am

biker jk wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Any like to post some data? One data quality test I like to see is a maximal effort power and cadence data from a standing start, or at least from a very slow rolling pace. Need to capture the initial 6-8 or so seconds of data.

Here's DC Rainmaker's review.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/12/4ii ... eview.html

Conclusion: it takes the KOM for the least expensive direct force power meter on the market – and one that’s just as accurate and easy to use as ones that cost significantly more.
DCR doesn't do the sort of tests I'm talking about - indeed I've spoken with him about including them in his testing protocol.

It's actually quite a simple test yet it's very telling about a meter's capabilities (and the head unit's too) since the shape of the resulting pedal force-pedal velocity plot can be compared with the known P-V plot for human performance that's been well established in the scientific literature. It amazes me that it's not done.

Put it this way, if you do any sort of riding that involves an acceleration or rapid changes in pace, time spent on/off pedalling, then you'll want to know. This describes most mass start races and many other group ride scenarios.

Other than DCR, I've never seen data from a 4iii, hence asking for a sample or three.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

Anyone have issues with power dips to zero on their 4iiii?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:50 am

defy1 wrote:Anyone have issues with power dips to zero on their 4iiii?
Only when I'm not pedaling.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 pm

biker jk wrote:
Can you compare your profile for a ride to this?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 pm

defy1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:

No. Clearly a problem there.

Alf K

Postby Alf K » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:41 pm

defy1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:

I also have a 4iiii with problems. Put it on the bike on Monday, worked fine on the Wednesday ride, On Saturday's ride failed after 18km. First started to drop out and now no power data at all. Cadence still works.

Did you get your problem sorted out?

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am

Are people still happy with their 4iiii power meters? It's hard to find too many people online having bad things to say about them, which must be a positive. I've changed my mind a number of times about which power meter to get. Originally I was going to go with Stages ($599), but got talked out of that. Then I moved my thinking towards a pedal based system and looked at the new vectors and P1's. Not sure I really need dual power though and I like my current pedals. I'm now leaning towards the 4iiii single sided system and will probably order through Pushy's rather than send my own crank away. Pushy's are selling them for $749, but I will wait until another 12% off sale and use a gift card I have, which will bring the price down to around $550.

panosk

Postby panosk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

lewie15 wrote:Are people still happy with their 4iiii power meters?
Still happy after 2.5 years of almost daily use.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

panosk wrote:
lewie15 wrote:Are people still happy with their 4iiii power meters?
Still happy after 2.5 years of almost daily use.
Good to hear!

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Alf K wrote:
defy1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:

I also have a 4iiii with problems. Put it on the bike on Monday, worked fine on the Wednesday ride, On Saturday's ride failed after 18km. First started to drop out and now no power data at all. Cadence still works.

Did you get your problem sorted out?
yes new battery and reset and it was fixed. also had new firmware update

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm

lewie15 wrote:Are people still happy with their 4iiii power meters? It's hard to find too many people online having bad things to say about them, which must be a positive. I've changed my mind a number of times about which power meter to get. Originally I was going to go with Stages ($599), but got talked out of that. Then I moved my thinking towards a pedal based system and looked at the new vectors and P1's. Not sure I really need dual power though and I like my current pedals. I'm now leaning towards the 4iiii single sided system and will probably order through Pushy's rather than send my own crank away. Pushy's are selling them for $749, but I will wait until another 12% off sale and use a gift card I have, which will bring the price down to around $550.
yes bought 2016 from Precision direct, and happy with it. Support is good also.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Yup loving mine, race with it most weekends, never skipped a beat. Got it from Merlin Cycles in the UK for around $560 posted! (Was on special offer - Ultegra arm)

sammutd88

Postby sammutd88 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Never had an issue with mine. Firmware updates have stalled at version 2.1 for a long period of time but I guess "it just works" and there aren't any major fixes that need doing to warrant a new version.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the responses. Just need to wait until the next Pushy's sale now!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Just as an exercise in confirmation (as I've just got a PM and wondering if it's really a tool that people use properly or is more often something that collects other data to ooohhh at - I'm in the latter camp at the moment), those that have responded in the thread - do you use your PM and it's data 'properly (with a coach) and or analyse the data and plan activities with it in order to improve, or do you just collect data and do things a little differently, but that's about it ?

Just curious :wink:

sammutd88

Postby sammutd88 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm

I don't have a coach and do not race. I guess a lot of people would say "well why have a PM?!". Truth is, it's a great pacing tool, and it's an excellent way of tracking your fitness gains and doing specific rides for different purposes. Knowing numbers like your FTP really assists in this and training to specific percentages of that number, I've seen real improvement in my riding. However I'm not a slave to numbers, sometimes I just go for a ride and look at the numbers "just for interest" afterwards. However, because I'm not racing i'd never buy anything other than a single sided. I say if you have the cash and have an interest, go for it.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am

Weekend warrior, do not race or coach, but like to gauge my level of fitness comparing avg power vs avg HR vs avg speed for a ride.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I just look at my data post-ride or race. Don't use it to train with, as i dont even do structered training sessions, I just ride my bike....

I did do a TT late last year as part of a multi-stage race series, and used average 3 sec power to keep at a certain avg power I knew I could hold for the length of the TT course.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 pm

I've almost had my 4iiii for a year now and have had no issues. I'm thinking about buying another one for my gravel bike. Pushy's has the Ultegra 8000 version selling for $749. It would be cheaper to get it installed by Precision for $545 AUD. Thinking of buying a new crank through Bike Bug for $90 and sending it away. Will still end up over $100 cheaper and I will always have a spare crank to put back on the bike if I ever have any issues with it and have to send it back.

The other option is buying an Ultegra 6800 crank through Merlin with the 4iiii pre-installed. Works out to be $550 including GST and also includes Precision's Viiiiva heart rate which retails for $120, as a bonus. I don't really care that the Ultegra 6800 doesn't match the rest of my Ultegra 8000 crankset, so leaning towards this option, with the possibility of making some money back through the selling of the heart rate monitor.

The $749 RRP for the pre-installed single sided power meter seems like highway robbery if you ask me. A few other specials around, which i've thought about - Favero Assiomos Duo's for $999 and Pioneer dual sided for $699. These dual sided options offer far greater value than the Precision, but I have built up trust with my 4iiii and wouldn't be a bad thing to have the same PM on both bikes for the consistency of numbers.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:39 am

From memory the viiiiva hrm is quite decent. Bluetooth and ANT and even acts as an ANT / BT bridge

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm

https://www.pushys.com.au/4iiii-precisi ... 2-5mm.html

4iiii Utegra 6800 power meter on special at Pushy's. Looks like it's only 172.5 cranks. I just bought another one for my gravel bike. Have had one on my road bike for the past year and its been great.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm

lewie15 wrote:https://www.pushys.com.au/4iiii-precisi ... 2-5mm.html

4iiii Utegra 6800 power meter on special at Pushy's. Looks like it's only 172.5 cranks. I just bought another one for my gravel bike. Have had one on my road bike for the past year and its been great.
Interesting to know. I'm in the market for a new power meter, my DA9000 Stages version 1 (the version with the changed O-ring, it breaks the battery compartment cover lugs all the time) is going stupid. It also runs out the battery in two days almost. :roll:

Initially thinking of going Pioneer and just one side (DA9000 crank) which would be cheaper, or a DA9100 172.5 dual sided setup with the whole entire crankset.

Only know that it won't be another Stages. The stages I have is actually a warranty replacement one for the original that only worked for a tiny amount of time.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 pm

My 4iiii seems to have died. Had it for just under a year, so luckily still under warranty. I have emailed Pushy's and they are following through with 4iiii, so I will be interested to see what the outcome is.