Stainless Steel road bike frames

marinmomma

Re: Stainless Steel road bike frames

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Lisa

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Careful Ronk, if you keep linking to such gorgeous bikes, I might find myself agreeing with you far too much. :D

I am still drooling over the Tommasini Tecno.

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 pm

hi, marinmomma. thanks for the reply.
it looks like quite a rugged bike.

what do you like about the SS over carbon?
have you ridden or compared to a standard steel frame?

cheers

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi I test rode a mosaic steel frame before deciding to go with the frame above, wasn't too much difference really, but I got this for a very good price, too good to pass on...otherwise I was going to get the Mosaic R2, but I really like the look of the bare metal...most people think that it's a Ti frame...
I rode a good carbon frame prior but the SS is so much more responsive, and flies downhill, plus it's a classic look that won't date, unlike most carbon frames!
Lisa

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:Careful Ronk, if you keep linking to such gorgeous bikes, I might find myself agreeing with you far too much. :D

I am still drooling over the Tommasini Tecno.
The thing with the Techno is that mere mortals can afford one.

And the fork is offered with either a threaded or threadless steerer, so it can be built with a quill stem for classic looks, or with a modern headset.

Take another look at those lugs.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:11 pm

This is mine...I'm a bit biased...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm

I think a lot of opinion on frame materials simply reflect the choices people have already made, and they are made for many reasons. Once people have a bike they like it is hard to shift their preferences elsewhere, and objective assessments are rare.

There are plenty of good looking frames that can suit your ride requirements, and in a variety if materials. As long as you get the ride right, the material and aesthetics are up to you.

And marinmomma, most people think my brushed aluminium frame is Ti - wish it was !! :)
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:07 am

RonK wrote: The thing with the Techno is that mere mortals can afford one.
:D
that made me laugh...

Wingnut wrote:This is mine...I'm a bit biased...
:)
unfortunately, this brand (sentisi) is dead.

marinmomma wrote:...
I really like the look of the bare metal...most people think that it's a Ti frame...
I rode a good carbon frame prior but the SS is so much more responsive, and flies downhill, plus it's a classic look that won't date, unlike most carbon frames!

bare metal is definitely nice...less bling...
I like to get these comparisons, i.e. responsiveness of different frames, etc.
and they are called "classics" for a reason. :)

cyclotaur wrote:I think a lot of opinion on frame materials simply reflect the choices people have already made, and they are made for many reasons. Once people have a bike they like it is hard to shift their preferences elsewhere, and objective assessments are rare.

There are plenty of good looking frames that can suit your ride requirements, and in a variety if materials. As long as you get the ride right, the material and aesthetics are up to you.
)
thanks, cyclotaur.
I think you are correct in that it is easy to justify your decisions after you have spent some money on something. :)
as for getting the ride right and accessibility of different materials- the problem is that I have found it hard to find anything other than carbon or aluminium to try out. or perhaps that is just me...

thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments, suggestions and photos.

cheers,
rockpaper

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 am

rockpaper wrote:
RonK wrote: The thing with the Techno is that mere mortals can afford one.
:D
that made me laugh...

Wingnut wrote:This is mine...I'm a bit biased...
:)
unfortunately, this brand (sentisi) is dead.

marinmomma wrote:...
I really like the look of the bare metal...most people think that it's a Ti frame...

bare metal is definitely nice...less bling...
I like to get these comparisons, i.e. responsiveness of different frames, etc.
and they are called "classics" for a reason. :)

cyclotaur wrote:I think a lot of opinion on frame materials simply reflect the choices people have already made, and they are made for many reasons. Once people have a bike they like it is hard to shift their preferences elsewhere, and objective assessments are rare.

)
thanks, cyclotaur.
I think you are correct in that it is easy to justify your decisions after you have spent some money on something. :)
as for getting the ride right and accessibility of different materials- the problem is that I have found it hard to find anything other than carbon or aluminium to try out. or perhaps that is just me...

thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments, suggestions and photos.

cheers,
rockpaper

It's a Tommasini Sintesi which is the model...and they still make them today... [emoji6]

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Wingnut wrote:
It's a Tommasini Sintesi which is the model...and they still make them today... [emoji6]

right. that was a bit confusing. :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Wingnut, that bike is a beauty!
Lisa

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 pm

marinmomma wrote:Wingnut, that bike is a beauty!
Thank you!

I've recently discovered that I have a heart condition and I've rarely ridden the bike so I'm now going to start enjoying the bloody thing and use it as my daily ride! I just need to re-glue the tyres and throw some pedals on it

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Iam suprised nobody has commented on the disadvantages of stainless such as the capacity for threads to pick up (press fitt bottom bracket the alleviate this????) Or its brittle properties. I would imagine discounting the obvious advantage of being generally non corrosive that there would be little advantage of crome moly or any other of the newer heat treated steels.

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 pm

thanks, koshari.
I had not considered SS to be brittle but my experience with it is limited.
yet another consideration and probably pointing me more toward normal steel, as well.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 am

I know in your original post you mentioned Steel and Italian... but have a look through the Velocipede Salon forums particularly the Friday Night Lights for some more boutique and custom frame builders in steel, titanium and carbon (as well as some well known ones) Such good pics.

You'll be sure to find something very nice.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

mmc22 wrote: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there are some nice looking frames and paint jobs on that site, e.g. the Craddock bikes
but must have Italian... :)

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:27 pm

rockpaper wrote:thanks, koshari.
yet another consideration and probably pointing me more toward normal steel, as well.
my experiences are from working in maintenance in heavy industry. I find stainless terrible to machine or work, it also is prone to cracking after its been welded, however saying that i would imagine that modern stainless frames would cop a heap of heat treatment to bring them to the required malleability a bicycle frame would require.

the ones posted in this thread sure look nice though, and the stainless finish would be from a aesthetics perspective a hell of a lot longer wearing than a chromed frame.

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:07 pm

true, i was thinking that chrome finishes don't last that long but then, i had in mind those cheap chrome jobs...

thanks for your comments.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:42 am

I like this...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:31 pm

koshari wrote:
my experiences are from working in maintenance in heavy industry. I find stainless terrible to machine or work, it also is prone to cracking after its been welded, however saying that i would imagine that modern stainless frames would cop a heap of heat treatment to bring them to the required malleability a bicycle frame would require.
the ones posted in this thread sure look nice though, and the stainless finish would be from a aesthetics perspective a hell of a lot longer wearing than a chromed frame.
Hi koshari,I reckon it must be what each of us has had to make and the differing ss products. :)
I find it the exact opposite and have welded ss all my working life. Most off the handy man all purpose rods sold to 4 wheel drivers for road side repairs etc have a high proportion of SS in the make up.I have welded chassis with a couple of batteries hooked-up. But only for emergency work.

I am weary of any metal on bicycles that is too thin to save weight etc, as they make the bikes to a spec that is largely unproven. I look at the recalls lists on forks etc to note where they might have gone a bit thicker in design, or the seat stems . The poor cyclist is the guinea pig and the loser when things take a bad turn.

I don't care what they do, to make a metal thin and light, it has to have a higher degree of hardness to go along with it. The brittleness is more to do with work hardening, through constant flex in a given area.
Like taking an example though extreme of a piece of soft copper and bending and then unbending a curve in it. It soon becomes unworkable and fractures quickly.
SS is not a light weight material and and it would take a good welder with tig to do a frame. My experience has been with the stuff at 2mm thk and higher. I haven't seen them tig welding a frame but to my mind most metals benefit from a pre-heating to a given temp prior to welding. I don't know if this is done with bike frames, but a strong rider of a higher weight will sort out any frames longevity.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 am

Did you see this ss 953 bike made by Joe Cosgrove featured on CT last Friday http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/11/bikes ... s-frezoni/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockpaper

Postby rockpaper » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:52 pm

@Uncle Just: i like those wheels with that frame. i am not usually a fan of black & red anything but that is nice.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:56 am

outnabike wrote:
koshari wrote:
Hi koshari,I reckon it must be what each of us has had to make and the differing ss products. :)
I find it the exact opposite and have welded ss all my working life. Most off the handy man all purpose rods sold to 4 wheel drivers for road side repairs etc have a high proportion of SS in the make up.I have welded chassis with a couple of batteries hooked-up. But only for emergency work.

I am weary of any metal on bicycles that is too thin to save weight etc, as they make the bikes to a spec that is largely unproven. I look at the recalls lists on forks etc to note where they might have gone a bit thicker in design, or the seat stems . The poor cyclist is the guinea pig and the loser when things take a bad turn.

I don't care what they do, to make a metal thin and light, it has to have a higher degree of hardness to go along with it. The brittleness is more to do with work hardening, through constant flex in a given area.
Like taking an example though extreme of a piece of soft copper and bending and then unbending a curve in it. It soon becomes unworkable and fractures quickly.
SS is not a light weight material and and it would take a good welder with tig to do a frame. My experience has been with the stuff at 2mm thk and higher. I haven't seen them tig welding a frame but to my mind most metals benefit from a pre-heating to a given temp prior to welding. I don't know if this is done with bike frames, but a strong rider of a higher weight will sort out any frames longevity.
Enough builders have been making frames from Spirit, 953 and XCR for awhile now outnabike...I would be so paranoid...

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:41 pm

from v8riders link,
" the raw material is notoriously difficult to work with, complicating and extending manufacturing times,"
i would believe it.

if i was to shell out that sorta cash i think i would want the native finish to show it off.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Yep I shouldn't comment.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers