Upgrading from an entry level wheelset

Viewgrl

Upgrading from an entry level wheelset

Postby Viewgrl » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi Everyone

I currently have a Shimano R500 wheelset on my bike and the rear wheel is close the end of its life. Id like to upgrade a little bit, but not excessively as I use this bike for commuting and competition, but don't want to venture to having a race set and an everyday set. Is there a a good quality, well liked wheelset on the market that will hold up to a battering on the city commute and not embarrass me in cycling races? I do a few triathlon and cycling events, but I am still at the point where its the rider that will make the greatest improvement to race time, not the kit. Plus, if it get too carried away cost wise my husband will take a renewed interest in the household finances. Up to $300, on sale, would be considered reasonable I think.

Any advise will be appreciated.

trailgumby

Re: Upgrading from an entry level wheelset

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Pro-Lite are well regarded, and will have something decent and semi-aero in your price range. I have a set of their Bracciano A27s that are still going strong.

http://kotavelo.com.au/store/merano-a25-wheelset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There has been a name change in the Australian distributor and they are changing suppliers, so they may have some runout specials.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Fulcrum racing 5s or Quattros are pretty bullef proof as well.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Get the Quattro CXs and forget about them. Great wheels.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Viewgrl

Postby Viewgrl » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks people. Appreciate the advise. Going to look at Quattros now....

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 am

trailgumby wrote:Pro-Lite are well regarded, and will have something decent and semi-aero in your price range. I have a set of their Bracciano A27s that are still going strong.

http://kotavelo.com.au/store/merano-a25-wheelset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There has been a name change in the Australian distributor and they are changing suppliers, so they may have some runout specials.
Shame they are not going to be stocking Prolite wheels anymore. Im a convert on these wheels and the support from Deon has been second to none.
I'll be interested in what they start to stock

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:04 am

Yes, I'll be watching with interest.

My next road wheelset will likely be disc, so am interested to see what they shift to. Most wheelsets that come with the bikes seem to be pretty heavy.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:13 pm

I'd also suggest the Fulcrum Quattros or the Campag equivalent, the Scirocco 35. The Scirocco 35 is often cheaper and the stickers pull off cleanly if you are worried about mixing Italian/Japanese parts.

Regards,

SB

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 pm

tez001 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Pro-Lite are well regarded, and will have something decent and semi-aero in your price range. I have a set of their Bracciano A27s that are still going strong.

Shame they are not going to be stocking Prolite wheels anymore. Im a convert on these wheels and the support from Deon has been second to none.
I'll be interested in what they start to stock
I don't really want to say too much but after 6+ years with Pro-Lite it was time for a change. We have an exciting new range coming next year. Each of the new models is a technical improvement over what we've had previously, I've made sure of that!

The products we've had have been so successful because we've supported them as best we can and because we've tested every single model locally and decided which models were suitable for Australia and which were not. We've also designed several of them like the A27HD and the Tandem/Clysdale models which are among our most reliable models.

My core values remain the same, my objective is to have professional light weight, durable, high performance products at reasonable prices. I can't wait for the new stock to be available!

In the meantime, we still have a fair bit of Pro-Lite gear here which we will continue to sell and support for as long as we can.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Another vote for Quattros.

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:44 am

and another Quattro CX fan
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 am

Quattro LG (the new wide version) look pretty nice, and can be very cheap (eg Probikekit).

I've added the wiggle Cosine 32mm alloy to my list of desirables also. 32 deep, 21.5 wide, 1485g (about 300g less than the Quattros), ~$400.