puncture resistant tyres

Small ring

puncture resistant tyres

Postby Small ring » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:44 pm

What does everyone think which are the best on the market these days

march83

Re: puncture resistant tyres

Postby march83 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Finding a balance between utility and quality, I've had a good run with conti gp4s. They're pretty decent in the wet, they do ok against debris flats and they roll alright. They will still flat, but they don't feel horrible in the kays between the flats. The prices on these have risen a little in the last year or so so I'm trying a set of Vittoria Paves next time around.

This is for predominantly road use, a few cyclepaths here and there and even fewer footpaths/gravel/grass. my commute is ~50km each way on long days so i don't want to be lugging too much weight. on my weekend bike i run veloflex masters or vittoria corsa 23s.

I used to run Maxxis Refuse and Conti Gatorskins but I got sick of having to put up with a crappy road feel and still getting the occasional flat. I've never run schwalbe marathons, but I hear good things about their resistance but also that they have a similar refuse/gatorskin dead feel.

A couple of friends who flatly refuse to let flats happen to them run old race tyre treads as tyre liners inside their already puncture resistant tyres. I couldn't stomach this.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Small ring wrote:What does everyone think which are the best on the market these days
I've been riding Pro 4 SC Grip tires by Michelin for over a year now commuting, not a single flat. Ride great.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Try and ride the best road tyre focused as possible.

Now it all depends on your route, if punctures are a real problem on your travels then migrate towards tyres beefed up for tyre protection;
Gators
amadillos

I really hate the concrete tyres so live with the odd puncture here and there.

If punctures are a rarity, ride the nice comfy fast tyres.