Buying a bike - help!!

Sunrise3550

Buying a bike - help!!

Postby Sunrise3550 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:16 pm

I have been cycling for a few years and am now looking to upgrade my bike. Ideally the next bike I buy will last me for a while, so I am feeling the pressure to make the right decision. I currently ride a very much entry level bike, but I now know I want more (don't we all). Unfortunately I don't have a huge budget for this next bike - probably not much over $2k.

What are the must haves ?
Carbon v Alloy? Is carbon always the most desirable option?
Which is better out of a carbon bike with 105 and an alloy/carbon bike with ultegra Di2? ...... (Im trying to decide between two fitting these descriptions)

I really am out of my depth and wanting to get this purchase right, so any advice appreciated :D

softy

Re: Buying a bike - help!!

Postby softy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Bike fit is important, so you should focus on this first.

At 2k to 2.5k if you shop around can pick up a special, but look hard and go to many shops. In this price bracket i would say, 105, rival, maybe force with a relatively good carbon frame.

my girlfriends son just picked up a trek cyclocross reduced from 3.3k to 1.8k, fitted with 105 and a good carbon frame.

So do some hunting, i would also look secondhand, a two three year old bike at this price will get a ultegra, durace, sram red campy chorus, record with a top end frame. So keep your eyes open :shock:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:01 pm

You should get a pretty nice bike for $2 - 2.5k. Yes fit as mentioned above is the first priority above all else also with the different geometry options ( eg Race vs Endurance). And then there is the alloy vs carbon and then the groupset options.

Just like the different grades of carbon there is also alloys and then there are alloys! To be honest if the alloys you were looking at weren't a Cannondale Caad10 (or 12 I think they are up to now) or a Giant Tcr Slr then I would probably stick with carbon ( I would of included Titanium in there but thats prob out of budget!).

Groupsets are a personal thing. I am a big Shimano fan and I have all of my bikes of that persuasion. But lots of people like the double tap of Sram and also the slight weight saving and I personally haven't used Campy ( generally because of the cost, but I know a lot of people that wouldn't use anything else), so very much a personal choice. Btw di2 is sweet imo! And the 11 speed 105 and ultegra shift rather nicely leaving mech Dura ace almost redundant they are so good.

But as above go test ride a few and see for yourself. You will quickly decide what works and doesn't work for you. Even take your own saddle and pedals for the test rides so you know its not something as simple as that to eliminate problems.

Anyway good luck.

edit: good to compare stack and reach in the different sizes in the brands to get an idea in brand fitting to suit you as well.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Sunrise3550

Postby Sunrise3550 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks so much for replies, much appreciated . One of the ones I'm looking at is a CAAD10, so good to know that gets a good wrap. More food for thought. Back to bike shops I go !