Cycle Leash

HairyDropBear

Cycle Leash

Postby HairyDropBear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:58 am

Hi

This is my first post as have just purchased a new cannondale mountain bike. Am petrified about some turkey stealing it as when I was looking for bike locks, the bloke at the store told me how people are using battery dremels to cut locks cable and steal bike. The only thing I can really see in the GPS tracking world (as I would love to meet the "person" who stole my big..was the cycle leash web address below.

https://www.cycleleash.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What worries me about this product is that only 50 people have down loaded the App to use with the token, which to me means only 50 people have purchased it. I will put this same post in another section but was just wanting to know what the experts think about this product and/or is there something better on the market. I would really like the opinion(s) from people not associated with the company..please

(Mod Edit: Title of thread changed to fix spelling)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cycle Lease

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:04 am

No need to repost and have two separate conversations on the same topic.

I have not heard about this and with any product there is always the issue of critical mass. How good a product or service may be (or may not be), it has to be marketed and the first-adopters take a gamble. So until you can see that it is popular, you have a risk.

My suggest - contact the brand for any questions you have and to get reassurance. If they don't get back - then leave it. They are small enough to take the care at this stage to respond to their early adopters and if they are not, they are not focussed enough on the product. There are other products out there with GPS capability.

But the crux of the problem is bike security, and GPS tracking is not the primary requirement. It is possible that the person in the bike shop was associated with the product and hence promoting.

Location - where you lock it and then the locking are the two primary considerations. In the following forum post, there is plenty of advice for preventing theft. The best is to use a range of security options and make your bike harder to steal than other bikes. This means two locks and do buy good quality, good security rated locks. Plus you can secure wheels, the seatpost and other bits with non-standard bolts, quick releases (etc) which prevents opportunity thieves from easily taking parts.

Tracking Stolen Bikes and preventing theft
Cycling is in my BNA

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanyou very much for your response. The issue is, If people have battery operated dremel tools, you would need a lock heavier than the bike itself and still would not be safe. My bike was $5,000, but I am aware that some people spend in excess of $15,000 for a bike. THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Don't leave your $5000 MTB anywhere. Locked or not, it's a target for thieves.

Your best options are good home insurance and a second "beater bike" that you ride to work, down to the shop or to the pub. The beater bike is not likely to be a target.

Keep the proper (expensive) MTB for doing what it was built for - riding off road.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cycle Leash

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:39 pm

I agree with Graeme, with a pricey bike I would think twice about locking it up frequently in public.

Perhaps the dremel suggestion was a scare tactic, it may work on some locks but heavy duty locks will need a lot of time and effort with a battery powered dremel and I am sceptical that they would be as effective as you fear.

There are other solutions, take the bike indoors, don't leave it unattended in public for long durations, use a cheap second bike - these will all be far more effective that a software tool which is 'reactionary' rather than preventative.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:47 pm

At my work we have a card access bike cage monitored with a security camera. We've still had bikes taken from that cage - although the bikes nicked were unlocked. The thief tailgated another rider into the cage and simply, calmly walked off with it unchallenged. One of those things with a big organization where we don't all know each other, I suppose.

That said, my roadie would cost me about $4k to replace with all the gear on it (power meter cranks, nice wheels) but I am comfortable that the D-Lock and bike cage combo is enough. The bike being locked gives the security staff enough time to get there and chase the culprits off.

I would *never* leave any of my nice bikes (all cannondales by the way) unattended in a public place, regardless of the strength of the lock and cable.

I had a lucky garage-sale-find v-brake mtb that I deliberately left greasy and dirty, with paint peeling off the spokes and fork, and looking pretty unloved as purchased. To a casual observer it looks pretty unattractive. It has now gone to my daughter for uni transport as it stays there all day and sometimes overnight. Looks like crap but has good quality (but old) 9-speed bits on it so that it was reliable and operated smoothly. My daughter really likes riding it despite it looking like junk. I've told her not to clean it!

This is the kind of bike that is suitable for leaving locked up in public places.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:59 pm

HairyDropBear wrote:Thanyou very much for your response. The issue is, If people have battery operated dremel tools, you would need a lock heavier than the bike itself and still would not be safe. My bike was $5,000, but I am aware that some people spend in excess of $15,000 for a bike. THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION
Yes, there is a solution. If you want to keep your bike, don't let it out of your sight.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:46 pm

forget the battery powered dremel you can get these

as others have said there is not much you can do other than leave it in secure locations.

Edit: My roadie is only worth 2.5k new and I wouldn't just lock it up outside even if I was sure I could get it back with the cycle leash.

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Well what can one say but "thank you". I like the post about the product being reactive rather than preventative. Pre warning. I am like a stubborn 2 year old in tantrum mode. I dont want to buy another crap bike because as I am sure you experts will all know, they are not as much fun as a nice Connandale MTB .. and I have little fun in my life so this little bit I get on my bike is some what important.

Lets say I combine seveal top locks..and an alarm system that contacts your mobile phone and sends out an alarm sound so others know something sus is happening. My Harley Davidson has one that works well.

Is there something similar for bikes? I promise this will be my last question on this subject, buy you must understand, 2 y/o tantrums can be hard to control.

ps - my insurance company wont cover the bike.

Thanks all

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:51 pm

It's arguable 2 year olds shouldn't have such expensive toys for that reason...
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 pm

HappyHumber wrote:It's arguable 2 year olds shouldn't have such expensive toys for that reason...
..no 52y/o...but behaving like 2!..but thankyou for that advice

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:41 pm

HairyDropBear wrote:ps - my insurance company wont cover the bike.
Change insurance companies.

Youii covers mine as part of my home contents. I had to specify them as particular items, but that's no big deal. (They also cover my kayaks and camera gear.)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Im am with Coles which is cheap, but as you say... I call Youii tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks Graeme.

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
HairyDropBear wrote:ps - my insurance company wont cover the bike.
Change insurance companies.

Youii covers mine as part of my home contents. I had to specify them as particular items, but that's no big deal. (They also cover my kayaks and camera gear.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Just thought I would update you Graeme. Just went through the quote with Youi. Now I have no knowledge of insurance companies but my COLES policy to the same value as Youi is $410 a year cheaper..and with Youi, that was with the lowest Excess of $450. Just thought I would update you. Cheers

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks mate, although I'm not quite sure what you're saying there. Is Coles the cheaper one?

In any case, I'm with youii not for the price of the premiums, but for what they will cover. My previous company lost my business when they told me they would no longer insure my kayaks because they were 20cm too long (at 4.2m). If they won't cover my possessions, what is the point of keeping the policy?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:16 am

Yes Coles cheaper.

And I understand your point. at 50 y/o, I got a minor assault conviction (only conviction ever) defending my son (and I would do the same again), so Club Marine would not renew my boat policy!!! Now that makes sense ...not

all the best