De Rosa vs Colnago vs Wilier

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:27 pm

New bike time. Im looking at these 3 and after any opinions or views that are relevant.
One of the bikes is available at bikeforce and rides like a dream (compared to my current bike) http://www.bikeforcedocklands.com.au/a/ ... /102649754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Im looking for a comfy cruising bike not an out and out speed racer.

The other 2 that im more interested in are at cycling express and they inform me they are warehouse stock and not in store so i cant test ride them....Say What
De Rosa 838 Ultegra - http://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produc ... lHvIr8nLeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colnago ACR Ultegra - http://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produc ... lKu-L8nLeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without testing im pretty torn between the two, and the deals seem too good to pass up. So any opinions or any current owners of bikes with their experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: De Rosa vs Colnago vs Wilier

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:54 pm

We have a review on a Colnago AC-R on BNA. This is through the Australian importer (FRF Sport).

Cycling Express were local however have moved much of the business off-shore so generally there is no connection with the Victorian retail shop - and hence the test-riding is not possible.

All brands are good Italian brands. Going through an online retailer means that they are your first point of call and if there was any warranty questions, they wouldn't be covered or dealt with by the Australian wholesalers as they are generally an import. I can't tell you that buying online or buying instore is better - but with whichever approach you chose there are pro's and cons. For example online it may be cheaper but you lose the ability to test it or have it properly sized.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Rioli2Gunstall wrote:Im looking for a comfy cruising bike not an out and out speed racer.
I'm not sure any of these could be considered a "comfy cruising bike".
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:29 am

RonK wrote:
Rioli2Gunstall wrote:Im looking for a comfy cruising bike not an out and out speed racer.
I'm not sure any of these could be considered a "comfy cruising bike".
Hmm i would describe riding the Wilier as like "riding through clouds being carried by angels". Maybe my current bike has had me doing it tough :)

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 pm

I agree, none of these bikes are built for outright comfort recreational riding, they are all entry level hi-mod carbon racing framesets from highly reputable manufacturers.

However, that said, if you think the Wilier GT rides like a dream I'd say you need look no further as the proof of the pudding is in the riding.

I've ridden the Wiler Gran Turismo frameset and a Wilier Cento Uno ( both 2012 models) and found both to be both seriously stiff (and quite lightweight too) racer boy framesets with very little forgiveness in the vibration department.

If it's comfort you want you could look elsewhere, however, if you really like the Wilier (and I'd go and test ride it again to be sure of a good thing) then I'd be surprised if the De Rosa or the Colnago offer any more in the comfort department.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

denwol

Postby denwol » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Going through an online retailer means that they are your first point of call and if there was any warranty questions, they wouldn't be covered or dealt with by the Australian wholesalers as they are generally an import.
You can get the bike delivered to a "partner store" through Cycling Express if there is one near you.
The partner store would be responsible for the initial bike build, servicing and further warranty claims, rather than the online store.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Rioli2Gunstall wrote:Hmm i would describe riding the Wilier as like "riding through clouds being carried by angels". Maybe my current bike has had me doing it tough :)
Haha - sounds much like Italian marketing prose to me. :lol:

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:31 pm

open roader wrote:
I agree, none of these bikes are built for outright comfort recreational riding, they are all entry level hi-mod carbon racing framesets from highly reputable manufacturers.

However, that said, if you think the Wilier GT rides like a dream I'd say you need look no further as the proof of the pudding is in the riding.

I've ridden the Wiler Gran Turismo frameset and a Wilier Cento Uno ( both 2012 models) and found both to be both seriously stiff (and quite lightweight too) racer boy framesets with very little forgiveness in the vibration department.

If it's comfort you want you could look elsewhere, however, if you really like the Wilier (and I'd go and test ride it again to be sure of a good thing) then I'd be surprised if the De Rosa or the Colnago offer any more in the comfort department.
I love to hear suggestions. The CE bikes are off the cards unfortunately, so im back to compiling a new primary list. I'll be revisiting the Wilier on friday or saturday so I will see how that goes :)

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:31 pm

RonK wrote:
Rioli2Gunstall wrote:Hmm i would describe riding the Wilier as like "riding through clouds being carried by angels". Maybe my current bike has had me doing it tough :)
Needs a like button.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Rioli2Gunstall wrote:
RonK wrote:
Needs a like button.
They are all good bikes and all have a similar component spec. I've always had a liking for Wiliers and think the GTR would be a very good choice, particularly since it obviously appeals to you. :)