Cycliq Fly12 headlight/alarm/camera combo

rifraf

Cycliq Fly12 headlight/alarm/camera combo

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Was just invited to a preorder but not so impressed with the video clip footage.
Is it just me or does it seem to suffer from a lot of flare from the sun?
https://cycliq.com.au/videos/arch-rock- ... ll%20Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been toying with the idea of a bike camera for some time.
I knocked the Sony off my list due to being unable to charge on the fly as I understand the usb charge port is covered by the mount when in use.

I do like the Fly6 as the video clips seem to speak for themselves but I am concerned about the quality of picture of this Fly12 in the excessive sunlight we have here in Aus.

Thoughts and comments appreciated as I feel right out of my depth with regards video cams and their use.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Howzat

Re: Cycliq Fly12 headlight/alarm/camera combo

Postby Howzat » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Not a concern, for mine. The sun is in the shot, so flare is to be expected. Expensive camera lenses do the same thing.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Not an issue!

From my Adelaide to Darwin ride with plenty of sun, the Fly12 did not react to direct sun more poorly than other action cameras. I have video from each day, edited into short 2 minute sequences which you can look at: TourXOz on Youtube

This particular video has direct sunlight and you can see the effect. For better results, head over to youtube and select HD quality - it is not original (youtube compresses anyway) but is likely to be better than the degraded version embedded below

Cycling is in my BNA

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Not an issue!

From my Adelaide to Darwin ride with plenty of sun, the Fly12 did not react to direct sun more poorly than other action cameras. I have video from each day, edited into short 2 minute sequences which you can look at:

This particular video has direct sunlight and you can see the effect. For better results, head over to youtube and select HD quality - it is not original (youtube compresses anyway) but is likely to be better than the degraded version embedded below
That seems better than the link I offered where the flare seemed extreme.
Thanks for the contribution :!:
Any idea of how the footage compares to one of those Hero 4 silver cameras :?:

They too are currently on sale for $400.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GoPro-GPCHDH ... Sw0vBUdpGX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With 20% off voucher.

I know you get the alarm and light on the fly12 but I couldn't see me parting ways with my Edelux anyway.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:16 pm

rifraf wrote:Any idea of how the footage compares to one of those Hero 4 silver cameras :?:
I havn't done a direct comparison - though feel that while the Fly12 is moving into action cam territory, it is still a dedicated bike camera which does a few bike specific things whereas the GoPro probably has better footage, but doesn't have the bicycle ease of use as the Fly12.

It would come down to what you need - if you wanted to mix video and concentrate on setting up your shots rather than solely on-bike footage, the GoPro will be the better option. However for a set and forget camera which is at home on the bike and to capture / document your bike trip with the same on-bike camera format, the Fly12 has very good / long runtime (put a big card in)

On the integrated bike light, I find that i can rely on the Fly12 light and out of habit, often take a backup flasher which I havn't used yet.
Cycling is in my BNA

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:17 am

Can it be charged on the fly? (excuse the pun)
One of the things about my Garmin Edge 800 I appreciate is its ability to utilise my dynohub and cache battery/E-werk combo to keep on top of battery discharge.
My charging system helps me on tours where there can be quite a few days in between opportunities to get near a wall socket for charging.
My systems (one on bike and one on trailer) have no difficulty keeping my lighting and usb charged devices topped up (phone, gps and petzl Tikka 2XP head-light).
Despite the generous filming time span of the fly12 its not enough to tour with as is, so the ability to top up via a usb connected cache battery would be a deal breaker for me.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:02 am

Good question... I was getting 6 hours + and in the bike video camera discussion, member PiratePete recorded 10 hours recording time (with lights off).

Not sure if the on-the-fly charging is possible - it has a mini-usb port and I could test this with an external charger. Allow a bit of time.
Cycling is in my BNA

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:25 am

AUbicycles wrote:Good question... I was getting 6 hours + and in the bike video camera discussion, member PiratePete recorded 10 hours recording time (with lights off).

Not sure if the on-the-fly charging is possible - it has a mini-usb port and I could test this with an external charger. Allow a bit of time.
I wouldn't try it as we are not including charing on the fly on the Fly12 (sorry, couldn't resist either) because of technical challenges that are quite frankly beyond my level of understanding. From memory it has to do with the level of power input generated by a portable power supply not being able to keep up with the power draw that the unit has and in this case, we have to design for the worst case scenario (camera & full power light power draw). Something like that....

If you want a more technical answer, I will have to ask the experts!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:36 am

rifraf wrote:Was just invited to a preorder but not so impressed with the video clip footage.
Is it just me or does it seem to suffer from a lot of flare from the sun?
https://cycliq.com.au/videos/arch-rock- ... ll%20Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been toying with the idea of a bike camera for some time.
I knocked the Sony off my list due to being unable to charge on the fly as I understand the usb charge port is covered by the mount when in use.

I do like the Fly6 as the video clips seem to speak for themselves but I am concerned about the quality of picture of this Fly12 in the excessive sunlight we have here in Aus.

Thoughts and comments appreciated as I feel right out of my depth with regards video cams and their use.
I think you will find our device performs better than most action cameras with regard to how it manages changes in lighting conditions. This is largely due to the extreme cleverness of the Amberella micro processor we use to adjust for it so quickly (it's the same brand as GoPro use in their products). I believe you will find if you held any camera towards the sun, you would get flaring but the ability to adjust quickly is thanks to the micro processor as well as the top quality camera sensor we use.

Cheers
Andrew Hagen

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 am

Cycliq wrote:I wouldn't try it as we are not including charing on the fly on the Fly12
Thank you... I will resist the urge to charge.
Cycling is in my BNA

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks heaps for all the replies.

I'll have to take a pass at this stage as it doesn't sound currently suitable for my use.

Touring presents its own challenges, not least of which is days without access to a wall socket.

One of my least liked duties is sitting around a caravan park bathroom, laundry or kitchen for hours at a time waiting for something to charge.
You can't walk away and have items out of your sight or they'll walk.
Many kitchens are locked after hours which often means its the toilets/bathroom as the only option for wall socket access, which is a no thank you for me.

Nice bit of kit but not quite suitable for my use.

Once again, thanks for all the replies Chris and Andrew.