Please Recommend a First Bike for 17km per Weekday

Luke Skystalker

Please Recommend a First Bike for 17km per Weekday

Postby Luke Skystalker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi guys!

I signed up because I want to buy a bike. I know I should respect the process & research for myself but 7 months after joining I realise I just don't have the time to do this (I have an 18 month old son - I know, I know...excuses...excuses). That's 7 months of riding & being healthy that I've lost and I don't want to lose any more. If I didn't have 2 weeks off work for Christmas I wouldn't have time to post this.

I haven't ridden a bike consistently since my early teens. I'm now 41.
I'm 6'3''.
I'm 115kg but should lose 20kg by dieting & riding to/from work.
Google maps says to ride from Canterbury to Marrickville & back is 17km of riding a weekday.

I bought a Dunlop Scimitar for $100 from Big W about 10 years ago & it has never been rideable (I will make a separate post about this.) Even if I was to get it tuned properly at a bike shop I don't think it would be close to satisfactory for my needs?

My wife wants me to buy this tomorrow from Aldi:
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... 700c-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just saying.

I have no interest in buying something that will disappoint or stall my goal of getting healthy.

Thanks in advance for recommending a bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please Recommend a First Bike for 17km per Weekday

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Don't buy the Aldi bike unless you are not serious and simply want a BSO (Bicycle Shaped Object) as a BSE (Bicycle Shaped Excuse).

The best value will be a second-hand bike but the catch is spending time and knowing bikes and the market because there is plenty of junk out there that catches people out.

For you, the best option is a bike shop though depending on where you live, you may wish to go for one of the bike-shops who don't have the 'big brands', rather more affordable own-brands. As an example, Polygon, Cell Bikes or Reid Bikes.

I encourage you to go in-store so that you can get the right size bike rather than guessing and buying online. You probably don't really to up-size - a more expensive bike will be lighter, have higher quality running gear but may not actually make a substantial difference for you on the road - as long as you look after the bike such as regularly cleaning and lubing the chain (and being prepared to service every 6 months to keep it in good nick).

Look for a flat-bar bike with mudguards which will be convenient for all-weather riding. Consider that your budget will extend to a good quality bike lock, helmet and likely some other riding gear to be comfortable (e.g. suitable rain jacket, glasses and gloves). For your budget, also calculate the cost savings over public transport or a car, which may allow you to increase your budget.

Here are some examples from Cell Bikes in the budget segment. One has mudguards which is a plus (others can be retrofitted) but there are varying styles.

Cell SS200 $399

Cell Urban Chill 7 $219

Cell Fitzroy 1.0 $399

A disclosure as the admin of this site, Cell Bikes are an advertiser on BNA but this isn't an advertisement.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:59 pm

I'd recommend a bike that comes in more than one size. Not that thing.

At 6'3" you will likely be looking at either a Large or Extra Large frame size. Those Aldi bikes are one-size-fits-nobody. A bike that does not fit will be uncomfortable at best, and a cause of injury more likely.

In fact, calling them a bike is being generous - Bicycle Shaped Object would be more accurate. While $229 is quite a low price, a bike you do not ride or that injures you is not a bargain.

So, the first order of business is to visit a bike shop local to you and work out what size you need. Worry about budget and how many gears etc only afgter that.

Does that make sense?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:53 am

So, you are time poor, and from reading your other thread, mechanically inept. Cheap bikes often need plenty of tuning and maintenance - the cheap components wear quickly and go out of adjustment. If you cannot do it yourself then you need to spend more for a better quality bike which should require less maintenance.

I would suggest the ultimate low-maintenance bike is one with an internally geared hub and belt drive. This may be the best option for you.

There is a thread discussing the various models available here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Reid Urban X2 with disc brakes might fit the bill for you, at $550 with 12 months servicing too. Otherwise the Giant cross city range for a flat bar commuter however they will be priced a bit more.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Hey Luke, Your situation is exactly like how a lot of us started back with cycling. Same age range, same family stage, about the same weight, blah blah blah. It echo's a lot of our own past situations (well my own that's for sure). Christopher and the guys have put up some great advice above and I'll chip in with my own 2c worth.

Avoid the Aldi. Cell bikes Boxing Day sales are a little disappointing I must admit, they usually have some really good stuff around this time of year, but yeah underwhelming this year round. The Cell SS200 probably the best buy for $399 with the Sora and Claris components if they have your size.
Reid cycles do have better sales on at the moment until Jan 5. Hard to go past the Reid Osprey Flatbar for $449. If you rather try a dropbar which if you do get the cycling bug you will quite probably end up buying a bike with a dropbar rather than a flatbar then the 2015 Reid Osprey Elite is the pick at $549 (which they only have XL size left so right up your alley! Would be my overall pick). The Reid Falco Advanced is another really good buy at $749 but that might be over budget...(but well worth it though for what you get).

Anyway Go and try a few out is my tip. Also get a good fit, with your size its going to be crucial to your enjoyment. Its really important to find a good bike shop you are comfortable with. That is actually more important than the cost of the bike itself!

But you will be right. You can use the Force and all will be well :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Excellent advice above. A good thing about buying some of the lower priced suggestions is that it will be quite sufficient to get you started but not too much of a loss should you decide commuting is not your thing or you love it and want to upgrade. That upgrade bug can really get it's teeth into you if you don't watch it :D

Looks something like this....it's a common sight amongst other cyclists usually noticeable when stopped at the lights and although not always visible it's there.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:57 am

RonK wrote:So, you are time poor, and from reading your other thread, mechanically inept. Cheap bikes often need plenty of tuning and maintenance - the cheap components wear quickly and go out of adjustment. If you cannot do it yourself then you need to spend more for a better quality bike which should require less maintenance.

I would suggest the ultimate low-maintenance bike is one with an internally geared hub and belt drive. This may be the best option for you.

There is a thread discussing the various models available here.
Pretty close to the mark Ron. As a kid I had a 3 speed Sturmy Archer, Healing semi racer, till I was 18 and it took me every where. My wifes little bike has an ally frame and internal 8 speed Shimano. What a great bike for her and never missed a beat for the last couple of years.
The huffy's we had first up nearly put us off riding permanently. But it was a good learning curve and also a $1000-00 spend against an $120-00 spend.

Those Cells look a lot better than my Huffy ever did. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm

I wouldn't recommend a huffy to anybody. The ones mentioned that are close to the $500 mark would be my starting point. Would be a shame to spend a grand on an Alfine equipped bike only to see it getting dusty because you decided commuting was too hard or route options were simply too dangerous.

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:53 pm

My 2 cents worth

The way a bike fits/feels is worth a lot. The easiest way to find out about this is to visit as many bike shops as you can in an afternoon and test ride some. The advice you will get from the shop staff is likely to be a bit contradictory and confusing but what you feel is likely to be pretty clear.

Unless you love tinkering with bikes you will need to find a local bike shop to help you anyway

Cell seem to offer great value for money. We recently brought a bike for my fiancé for a daily 16km commute and other urban riding

It's been great so far. I'd highly recommend visiting one of their shops and sitting on some. Buying mail order is fraught with problems.

But the bike you WANT to ride. If you don't actually really want to ride it you won't. There are racks of excuses that prevent people getting into a cycle commuting habit. Not loving your bike is a huge one that people rarely admit to

What ever bike you buy at this point won't last you for ever if you find yourself using it as planned. You will upgrade and lust for other shiny things but this won't matter because you will have gained so much more. You will be using the most sustainable form of transport on the planet, you will be fitter and healthier both in body and mind plus you will have saved loads of money on other forms of transport
NOT sent from tapatalk

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:38 am

I was also in a similar position at the start of the year and bought a Cell Fitzroy 1.0, which was $350 at the time. I have a 9km each way commute from Petersham to the city.
I've found the Cell good, but do take it in for the free tune up -- I didn't do this, and some loose spokes developed which broke. Cell Stanmore were (IMHO) good about it -- they rebuilt the wheel and did a general check/adjustment for $50, but if I'd had the free service done after a couple of weeks, the problem would probably have been completely avoided. So I'd agree that buying in store is the way to go, and make sure you start commuting immediately after the purchase.
I also found that the original chain wore after 800kms, so keep an eye on that.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Can also recommend the Cell Otway 2.0 if you are interested in a drop bar, currently $649. I bought one for my son, who rides it to school every day. It has performed very well with no problems, and it's an easy bike to ride (my wife has no problems on it and it is the only drop bar she has ever ridden).

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Otway-2-0
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:25 am

Depends how fast you will ride. I would suggest something with drop bars and 105 gears, because that is what I have commuted with for years. Much much faster bike, and much easier to ride once you are used to it.

17kms is a long way every day, and you will be a changed man in 3 months. The cell bike is good, but 1000 bucks will seem cheap in 2017.

The most expensive bike is one you do not ride.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 am

IMHO having mudguards is a plus for any bike you plan to ride every day.
Go!Run!GAH!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 am

I'd say that 17 kms would be round trip from Canterbury to Marrickville and return and as far as I'm aware, the trip home is predominately downhill most the way.

Whatever bike you decide on, comfort is the biggest thing for someone starting out, all bikes will be a bit awkward feeling at first but a week or two in the saddle should start feeling a lot better...it's just the pressure of your weight sitting on a narrower platform that gets you.

Secondly, be kind to your legs, don't try and push through on a high gear, doesn't matter if you're spinning the pedals a bit faster than you want coz that's what gears are for, to make it easier to ride and when you're starting to feel pressure on your legs (ie a sight burning sensation) change down and keep spinning.

Depends on which way you go, (I'm thinking the road via Dulwich hill station) is a fairly up hill on the way to work so you'll definitely get that workout (better than a Gym) do yourself a favour buy a good rear rack and some pannier bags so you can take a change of clothes and some shower stuff with you to work and lastly.....give yourself plenty of time, don't leave getting out there till the last minute, especially in the beginning coz you will want to stop a few times to get your breath and carry heaps of water...see if you can get a bike that can fit 2 bidons to carry a bottle each or buy a camelback with at least 2 litre bladder.

My suggestion is to do a trial ride first on a Saturday or Sunday to work to see how long it may take and then leave a good 20- 30 minutes above that so you can freshen up before you take in a day's work...I guarantee you while you might feel tired at first, you'll also feel good with a sense of achievement and you'll be wide awake...better than coffee!! :) Doing a trial run first won't put you in the bad books with the boss...unless of course you are the boss :P

Try and enjoy your ride to work, have a good look around, take in the smells (except on garbage collection day :lol: ) I love it when riding home when most people are getting the evening meal on the way and the smells of food cooking is diverse to the simple or the very aromic of foreign dishes (no shortage of that in the Marrickville region)

Good luck.....let us all know how you go with it.....I'm really enjoying to commute by bicycle (sometimes motorcycle but rarely car) I'm needing now to go to work the looong way as I'm wanting to ride more before work...I've only recently started and I'm 15 yrs older and a bit heavier than you.

Cheers

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Yeah one of the great things about commuting is the way it clears your head and wakes you up for the day.

Luke Skystalker

Postby Luke Skystalker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 pm

WARNING! This reply is a year after the last!

Thanks for the useful advice guys. I didn't reply until now because I only just finally made it happen.

I went to Cell bicycles at Stanmore this morning. The salesman was very helpful. He recommended the http://www.this link is broken/Totem-Cross-Disc-Pro (AT) $600. I mentioned that it felt a little bumpy and he had me try the http://www.this link is broken/Totem-Roam-29 (AT) $550. I did prefer the Roam during the 5 minute ride on the sidewalks of Stanmore. The salesman said the Cross Disc Pro might feel better with less air in the tyres. (I think he said they inflate to 50PSI at the shop.) My concern is what will be best in a month after riding 80km a week.

Any thoughts on these bikes?

Thanks again!

PS I've moved to Belfield so my journey will now be 9.9km each way.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Neither of those float my boat to be honest. Not sure what has happened to Cell in the last 12 months. They were really good with entry level bikes a few years back but nowdays I'm not a huge fan. Maybe their new Totem range may change this but from what I have seen probably not.

I actually think there is a better range at Reid cycles, 99 bikes and the new kid on the block Bicycles Online with the Polygon range.

All you are really looking for a good sturdy Urban or City bike with preferably a solid fork (forget the suspension fork) with some decent components. You would reckon you would find a million of those but finding a decent decked out spec instead of junk can be difficult. Something like the Merida Speeder 100 is a good example or Polygon Helios F3 or F5. Or if you are a little more game try test riding a dropbar in comparison.

And yes you are justified in thinking what will be the best bike for me in a couple of months time. Hard to answer that but you do get use to the bumpyness so my thinking would be more along the lines of what bike fits me best and feels the more "solid", shifting gears, pedaling, frame structure stiffness, that sort of thing. Bumpyness you can sort out with better quality tyres usually.

Anyway good luck with it. Cheers.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Velt

Postby Velt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:00 pm

I'd go something with a rigid fork for urban riding personally. Entry level shocks are a bit of a trap, they are unnecessary, heavy and, in general not that great.