Large man needs advice on purchasing a new bike

theo_umbrivides

Large man needs advice on purchasing a new bike

Postby theo_umbrivides » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:19 am

Hello all,

I need advice on buying a new bike.

12 months ago I purchased an entry level hybrid bike for my commute (about 25 km per day). The bike's maximum load bearing capacity is 125kg, which I have since exceeded by about 5kg. Consequently, the bike is starting to wilt (read: fall apart) and needs to be replaced.

I'm a big guy. My measurements are as follows:

- Height: 6.7
- Weight: 130kg (I'm an amateur weightlifter and thrower that eats like horse, so my weight can get up to 135kg at times)

I need some general advice on the type of bike that will be able to handle my frame for 25km a day, 5 days a week. At my height and weight I'm not going to break any land speed records, so function and durability are what I'm after. I don't care if it's a road bike, a commuter bike, a mountain bike, a unicycle or a penny farthing, I just need something that's durable, reliable and going to get me to-and-from work safely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Theo

brumby33

Re: Large man needs advice on purchasing a new bike

Postby brumby33 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:05 am

A good Steel touring bike such as the Vivente World Randoneur would be ideal but they aren't cheap but have good quality components that withstand fully loaded touring for thousands of kms. I'm a bit of a heavy weight too but the difference being most of my bulk is FAT...there...i've said it :oops: :lol:

Most Mountain bikes in the $1,000 region have good strong componentry too.....you might need to put on some road tyres if its mainly for road work.

Whatever you buy, and due to your bulk, you need to be fitted correctly othwise you may not enjoy it.

Good luck mate

Cheers

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:11 am

Was the entry level hybrid you bought a brand name one or a BigW bike?

If it was a no name cheapy you could probably give a Giant or Trek or something brand name similar to what you have a go.

I have a Giant Elwood SE that I bought second hand for $150 and it's strong and durable if serviced regularly.

theo_umbrivides

Postby theo_umbrivides » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 am

brumby33 wrote:A good Steel touring bike such as the Vivente World Randoneur would be ideal but they aren't cheap but have good quality components that withstand fully loaded touring for thousands of kms. I'm a bit of a heavy weight too but the difference being most of my bulk is FAT...there...i've said it :oops: :lol:

Most Mountain bikes in the $1,000 region have good strong componentry too.....you might need to put on some road tyres if its mainly for road work.

Whatever you buy, and due to your bulk, you need to be fitted correctly othwise you may not enjoy it.

Good luck mate

Cheers

Dave
Thanks, Dave

theo_umbrivides

Postby theo_umbrivides » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 am

TonyMax wrote:Was the entry level hybrid you bought a brand name one or a BigW bike?

If it was a no name cheapy you could probably give a Giant or Trek or something brand name similar to what you have a go.

I have a Giant Elwood SE that I bought second hand for $150 and it's strong and durable if serviced regularly.

It's a Reid.

Thanks, Tony Max

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:34 am

theo_umbrivides wrote: ...
I need some general advice on the type of bike that will be able to handle my frame for 25km a day, 5 days a week. At my height and weight I'm not going to break any land speed records, so function and durability are what I'm after. I don't care if it's a road bike, a commuter bike, a mountain bike, a unicycle or a penny farthing, I just need something that's durable, reliable and going to get me to-and-from work safely.
Theo
On the unlikely chance that you are serious about a uniycle - you'd only be if you are after exercise to burn kilojoules, and even then at a rate that can't approach that of a serious bicyclists - then there is no shortage of quality uniccylists that will do the job for a few hundred dollars.

I imagine that any bike designed for mountain and off-road would also do the job, though obviously that is not my area of knowledge so listen to those others here.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm at the wrong end of the spectrum (5'2' and 48kgs) to really comment, except to second brumby33's reply.
A Vivente World Randonneur is a really solid bike, you will not break it in a hurry.

http://viventebikes.com

It's a steel touring bike and therefore designed to take not only the weight of the rider, but also the weight of 4 loaded panniers secured to 2 racks and possibly other bags too.
I own one and use it as a commuter. Despite its weight, I love the way it rides as it is comfortable and sturdy.

However, if you are looking for a full carbon, lightweight bike, with super fast handling this is absolutely not for you.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

softy

Postby softy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Agreed,

A touring bike, as they are designed with higher spoke count and stronger frames due to the fact it will be loaded. Don't know much about them unfortunately as i ride lightweights.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:31 pm

I have a friend in a similar weight and height category. He rides a titanium 29er mountain bike and the only thing he's done that's special is run wide rims and 2.4" tyres at low pressures (25psi), tubeless. He climbs steep loose dirt stuff like a mountain goat, surprised the socks off me when I saw him do it, not at all what I'd expected. It encouraged me to go down the low pressure path for my own setup, but that's a story for another thread.

The bottom line is that the lower pressures and wider tyres help the rest of his equipment handle his above average weight by providing extra cushioning. There will be some loss of rolling speed and perhaps some extra effort to pay for this. Nevertheless, it is worth thinking about if you are a "Clydesdale" needing to nurse a bit of extra life out equipment perhaps not designed to handle your physical attributes (like the Reid). This gives you a bit more time to get enough in the piggy bank to fund something more robust.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:32 am

I'm 196cm and started riding road bikes at 140kg. Basically, you can run with whatever bike you want, you'll just need good wheels to handle your weight for the long haul. For reliable commute purposes, I'd seriously consider perhaps a 29er MTB running some narrower slick~ish tyres so that they roll better. A hybrid may also fit the requirements too.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:09 pm

brawlo wrote:I'm 196cm and started riding road bikes at 140kg. Basically, you can run with whatever bike you want, you'll just need good wheels to handle your weight for the long haul. For reliable commute purposes, I'd seriously consider perhaps a 29er MTB running some narrower slick~ish tyres so that they roll better. A hybrid may also fit the requirements too.
Agreed. While I'm a bit lighter (95kg or so atm), I've found that when me+luggage gets much over 100kg, the wheels really suffer. What worked for me what more spokes and less dish - going from road to MTB hub spacing. Assuming hybrids still use 130mm rear spacing - my ca 2003 Specialized does - I'd prefer the MTB.

thejester

Postby thejester » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm

29er mountain bike with good wheels and slicks.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie