Suspension seat post

bica2020a

Suspension seat post

Postby bica2020a » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Was thinking of installing suspension seat post. Found this one on eBay-
  X TECH SUSPENSION SEAT POST ALLOY 350mm SILVER 27.2mm BICYCLE

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X-TECH-SUSPE ... SwgQ9V5T6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;       

Has anyone used this X Tech brand?
Also how would a suspension seat post go on a fixie ?
Thanks.Image

StevOz

Re: Suspension seat post

Postby StevOz » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:19 pm

I've used and have had a suspension seat post on my last bike and whilst new it seemed a good thing, though over time it gradually degraded leading to seat wiggle and at the end of the day I'd say your money would be better spent on a after market saddle.

* that > wiggle embedded link was done via this forum...rather disappointed about that! :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:51 pm

Those telescopic suspension posts are a byword for unreliability and being stupid heavy.

The Thudbuster, though is a completely different animal. Robust and not onerously heavy. Not cheap, though.

What's wrong with using your legs, though? Just stand up and let your legs and arms cushion against the uneven surfaces. Works for me around the bus and truck damaged pavement in the Sydney CBD, and I do the same thing offroad on my mountain bike on the weekends. I've noticed it becomes habitual - any change in surface texture I've lifted my weight off the saddle without thinking about it.

Having a continuously variable seatpost height would drive me and my knees nuts.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:45 am

Not knowing about their seatposts but i have bought a co2 applicator and tubes branded xtech and they have been good quality.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:11 am

I've got one I pulled off my Giant Elwood SE that you can have for the cost of postage?

Diameter 26.6 and comes with a 26.6 to 30.8 sleeve.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:44 am

StevOz wrote:* that > wiggle embedded link was done via this forum...rather disappointed about that! :(
Really? Are you volunteering to pay the forum's hosting costs then? :roll:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:34 am

m@ wrote:
StevOz wrote:* that > wiggle embedded link was done via this forum...rather disappointed about that! :(
Hey I don't mind the occasional ad though actually altering my post via forum software I find offensive.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:23 am

StevOz wrote:
m@ wrote:
Hey I don't mind the occasional ad though actually altering my post via forum software I find offensive.
Same here. I have no problem with the ads at the side of the page, but I find the practise of unauthorised modification of users' posts for advertising (as opposed to moderation) manupulative, unethical and offensive, especially when the target word is used in an unrelated context.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bica2020a

Postby bica2020a » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:
What's wrong with using your legs, though? Just stand up and let your legs and arms cushion against the uneven surfaces.
I could stand and always do when I don't have this little [emoji85]'s seat -)

Image .

bica2020a

Postby bica2020a » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:10 pm

TonyMax wrote:I've got one I pulled off my Giant Elwood SE that you can have for the cost of postage?

Diameter 26.6 and comes with a 26.6 to 30.8 sleeve.

That's kind of you, will let you know if I decide to go for one.

thejester

Postby thejester » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:13 pm

they just exaggerate the bumps.
get a carbon one.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:03 pm

The suspension seat post that came on my Giant Escape has minimal play and has been pretty good on concrete roads and paths that have lots of cracks or joins.

I also bought a Nashbar post for an old hardtail MTB (needed to be 26.6mm) which has a side-to-side play adjuster screw. But if you try to take the play fully out you end up pretty much clamping the post in place, so you need to find a happy medium.

The Nashbar even on it's softest setting is really stiff, however if it's too soft you'll be bouncing all over the place. The ideal setting is just enough to soak up small ruts and vibrations. Just like saddles, it may take trying a couple to find one you like.